Continent Locking. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Will my 6 1/2 RAM run the game?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-26, 06:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Continent Locking.

Are you sure you know what you are voting for?

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/i...locking.82996/

Originally Posted by RoadMap
In order to start laying the foundation for a proper metagame, we've been putting a lot of thought into continent locking. There are a lot of little snags and details still to work out, but the basic idea at the moment looks something like this:
  • Add the ability to capture a Warpgate.
    • This is accomplished by taking over all adjacent territory.
    • You won't be able tor take over an Empire's final Warpgate. This restriction would go away if we ever pursue adding Sanctuaries.
  • Once a single Empire controls all territory on a continent, the continent enters a "locked" state:
    • All enemy units are removed from the continent and spawn in at an available Warpgate.
    • The continent can not be entered/attacked by enemy units for a period of time.

My response:
Originally Posted by NewSith
Vote: DOWN
Priority: Inadequate (needs to go up)

I took a more distinct look into this, and tell you what - I now dislike the idea.

Instead, here's mine:
Why can't you just connect the warpgates between continents and make it a base instead?
  • Add the ability to capture a Warpgate.
    • Taking over all adjacent territory removes the shield around the warpgate.
    • Capture Points activate inside the warpgate.
    • Empire enters the "Last Stand Defense"
    • You won't be able tor take over an Empire's final Warpgate. This restriction would go away if we ever pursue adding Sanctuaries.
  • Once a single Empire controls all territory on a continent, the continent enters a "captured" state:
    • Every satellite base on any base changes ownership to the victorious empire.
    • Any enemy hacks currently in progress are reset.
    • The continent can be entered/attacked by enemy only via a linked wargate
  • Warpgates have a pair and these are connetcted between continents.
    • Capturing a warpgate on one continent, flips the warpgate on another one.

Blatantly "locking" a continent is in fact a very VERY bad Idea.

"Locking" a continent as opposed to "winning" a continent adds nothing to the metagame, since you don't need to defend it...

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2013-01-26 at 06:58 AM.
Old 2013-01-26, 07:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Phantomdestiny
Second Lieutenant

Re: Continent Locking.

actually both are not mutually exclusive because can for example lock the continent for 1 hour and half enough to get you make a defense perimeter around the just captured "twin" warpgate on the linked continent and then remake it capable
Old 2013-01-26, 08:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
ringring
Contributor
General

You're right newsith.
Old 2013-01-26, 08:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Crator
Major General

I agree with the OP. There shouldn't be a timer on the locked continent. What happens when all the conts are locked at the same time? Map resets? How the hell will that work? No thanks....

I agree with cont locking, but not putting a timer on it...
Old 2013-01-26, 09:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

I think you are right Newsith
Old 2013-01-26, 10:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Rothnang
Major

Continent conquest sucks as long as you can just zerg a continent and take it over in an hour.

Owning a continent should be based on a domination system like the base capture, except it shouldn't be a tug of war, but measure cumulative influence that the factions have over the continent until one of them has accumulated enough influence to claim the continent. Doing that should take at least a day though, so it isn't just the efforts of one zerg that can take a continent, but the entire faction has to work on it for a prolonged period of time.

What makes the metagame so meaningless currently is just the fact that I know for a fact that if I log off for even just an hour and I come back nothing I did still impacts the world, the borders have been redrawn already, entire continents have switched hands... Nothing has any lasting impact, and nothing takes so long to do that you really get the sense that it's an effort by a global force of players.
Old 2013-01-26, 12:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Palerion
Sergeant Major

Very impressive NewSith.

Loving your posts lately xD
Old 2013-01-26, 12:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

i upvoted it, i agree that a timer is not ideal, but to be completely honest, with how the game CURRENTLY FUNCTIONS, there are few other alternatives, minus a direct lattice to other connected conts. this function gives time for the capturing empire to clean up, regroup and move on to the next cont.

upvote it, for the time being, im sure we can convince higby and co. to later on review the timer and its necessity.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2013-01-26, 01:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Rolfski
Major

I kinda like this "last stand defense at the Warp gate " idea, sounds epic to me. For that to be viable the Warp gates should be made way more defensible though.
Old 2013-01-26, 01:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

There's one problem with this system, that I just figured out by modelling: It may cause alot of headaches if devs intend to keep 3 warpgates per continent.

4 Conts
5 Conts
6 conts
7 Conts

As you can see there're WAAAAAY to many flaws

Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2013-01-26 at 01:27 PM.
Old 2013-01-26, 01:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

it scales badly with fewer conts, but works when there are 9-13 conts, works better with more. at the low end, ill agree with you.

take what you drew up to 12 or 13 conts.

Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.

Last edited by p0intman; 2013-01-26 at 01:33 PM.
Old 2013-01-26, 01:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by p0intman View Post
it scales badly with fewer conts, but works when there are 9-13 conts, works better with more. at the low end, ill agree with you.

take what you drew up to 12 or 13 conts.
I just did and I saw a pattern...

There's an immediate solution to that problem: They simply need to add 4th warpgates onto "homeconts", with one peculiarity - they should be active with 4 conts, and inactive (just another capturable territory) with 5. After that they can twist the warpgate count all they like...

Last edited by NewSith; 2013-01-26 at 01:52 PM.
Old 2013-01-26, 01:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
typhaon
Sergeant Major

They need to figure something out...

As much time as I've put into this game - the "go grind XP at the BioLab/wherever"-endgame is getting pretty tiresome.
Old 2013-01-26, 02:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
I just did and I saw a pattern...

There's an immediate solution to that problem: They simply need to add 4th warpgates onto "homeconts", with one peculiarity - they should be active with 4 conts, and inactive (just another capturable territory) with 5. After that they can twist the warpgate count all they like...
or sancs, but not likely.

Old 2013-01-26, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
AThreatToYou
Major

broadcast warpgates

they don't all have to be broadcast. could possibly link their broadcasting to ownership of an interlink.

Last edited by AThreatToYou; 2013-01-26 at 02:45 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion