How far will PS2 stray in terms of gameplay from modern FPSs? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Picard loves you, everyone else thinks you're an idiot.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-07-08, 12:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
DownloadFailed
Corporal

How far will PS2 stray in terms of gameplay from modern FPSs?

By that I mean what conventions will PS2 steer clear of or emulate that are found in many modern FPS shooters?
Will there be regenerating health?
Will there be squad spawning (please say no)?
Will there be highly-limited support items (like only 1-2 grenades, mines, etc. per soldier)?
Will there be some form of melee?

I guess the thing I worry most about with PS2 is if it will end up like (forgive me) BF3 in the future. I really REALLY don't want another BF3 with guns that go pew-dee-pew, and I really REALLY want a game that has a similar metagame to PS1, like advanced tactics, community and teamwork, and player purpose.
Old 2012-07-08, 01:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Re: How far will PS2 stray in terms of gameplay from modern FPSs?

From what we know:
1. Maybe?
2. Sort of... highly visible, non-instantaneous squad-spawning on squad leader on a short cooldown
3. Probably
4. Quick knife is in-game as of the E3 vid, but since no one killed anyone with it we don't know how effective it is.

No, I shall stand! Sitting is for the weak and feeble.
Old 2012-07-08, 01:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Maticus
Private

Originally Posted by DownloadFailed View Post
By that I mean what conventions will PS2 steer clear of or emulate that are found in many modern FPS shooters?
Will there be regenerating health?
Will there be squad spawning (please say no)?
Will there be highly-limited support items (like only 1-2 grenades, mines, etc. per soldier)?
Will there be some form of melee?

I guess the thing I worry most about with PS2 is if it will end up like (forgive me) BF3 in the future. I really REALLY don't want another BF3 with guns that go pew-dee-pew, and I really REALLY want a game that has a similar metagame to PS1, like advanced tactics, community and teamwork, and player purpose.
1. Yes
2. Yes but it is much more visible (you drop from a drop pod in the sky so no OMGDUDEINMYFACEWTF kind of crap)
3. support items like grenades cost resources, mines are part of the engineer kit (and were very important in PS1)
4. so far looks like quick melee
Old 2012-07-08, 02:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Carnage
Sergeant

Originally Posted by DownloadFailed View Post
well the thing is that BF3 was based on a campaign with multilayer, BF3 had modes of play, (Conquest, Rush, Team Deathmatch etc.) in it's multilayer, and it used that as its platform to play from, PS2 has no "modes", it's engine was made specifically to cater to its needs as a MMOFPS and it's been made while taking into account PS1 players opinions, you will even see SOE employes on these forums reading and putting in there input... this kind of commitment to game function was not a present in BF3, and they also had to cater to consoles. And that is what will make PS2 superior to BF3 while true to PS1 in the same instance... we have not played PS2 yet, but I suspect there will be no comparison between the 2 games.
Old 2012-07-08, 02:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Antivide
Corporal

What worries me is that Higby in many interviews likes to emphasize that they're taking a lot of influences from "AAA FPS games" like Battlefield and Call of Duty.

By that I HOPE he meant just the gunplay. As in the satisfying oomph and KAPOW/BANG of the guns.

The UI already reminds me of Battlefield 3, which isn't a bad thing. The UI in BF3 works for the most part. I don't mind them basing the UI off that.

All that meta stuff like "TTK" "Regenerating health" and "squad spawning" are all stuff that shouldn't be in this game.

Squad spawning seems balanced from what we've seen. The TTK and Regenerating health are two thing that worry me. Hopefully when the beta hits the dev team will listen to the majority who really would not like low TTKs and regenerating health.
Old 2012-07-08, 04:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Antivide View Post
All that meta stuff like "TTK" "Regenerating health" and "squad spawning" are all stuff that shouldn't be in this game.
Regenerating health does make medics somewhat superfluous... but the rest is good. Squad spawning will be limited, but keep your team together. And the low TTK will make infantry combat FAR more fun than in PS1. Imagine it... you could be the first to push into an enemy base and actually be able to get a kill!
Old 2012-07-08, 04:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Accuser View Post
Regenerating health does make medics somewhat superfluous... but the rest is good. Squad spawning will be limited, but keep your team together. And the low TTK will make infantry combat FAR more fun than in PS1. Imagine it... you could be the first to push into an enemy base and actually be able to get a kill!
Aye, personally I hope they remove health regen and instead look into alternative means to restore health. Medics, medlabs, certable health regen packs. But we'll see just how it plays out come beta.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2012-07-09, 04:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
Aye, personally I hope they remove health regen and instead look into alternative means to restore health. Medics, medlabs, certable health regen packs. But we'll see just how it plays out come beta.
Health regen is very slow, takes 45 seconds to even kick in, medics will be far far far faster at topping a squad up and thus will greatly affect the combat effectivness of a squad
Old 2012-07-08, 04:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Kezz
Sergeant

I'm told they said we'll have regenerating shields.

If health regenerates too, Medics will still be useful for Reviving and maybe getting your health (if health is a significant part of your durability) back up quicker. If your squad has a medic, and the other squad doesn't, your guns dropping off the line to "regen" will be away for shorter times than the opposition's, so your average total firepower output will be greater.

Edit: Oh, and "TTK" is just a shorthand way of describing how toon robustness compares to firepower.

Last edited by Kezz; 2012-07-08 at 04:57 AM.
Old 2012-07-08, 07:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Kezz View Post
I'm told they said we'll have regenerating shields.

If health regenerates too, Medics will still be useful for Reviving and maybe getting your health (if health is a significant part of your durability) back up quicker. If your squad has a medic, and the other squad doesn't, your guns dropping off the line to "regen" will be away for shorter times than the opposition's, so your average total firepower output will be greater.

Edit: Oh, and "TTK" is just a shorthand way of describing how toon robustness compares to firepower.
Oh goody, Battlefield 2 style of revive.

*OOMPH* dang I just died

*revive*

1 second later

*OOOMPH* dang I just died again

*revive*

1 second later

*OOOMPH*

"stop reviving me"

"But I'm getting great experience points"

*revive*

*suicide*
Old 2012-07-10, 07:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Timithos
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Kezz View Post
Oh, and "TTK" is just a shorthand way of describing how toon robustness compares to firepower.
What does that mean exactly? And what do the letters stand for?

I'm hoping the health regeneration is there, but really, really slow. And even the really, really slow regen needs it's first cert.

They did mention at E3 that the characters had many certs opened up, so that may be why there was substantial health regen.

Edit:

I know PS2 will greatly surpass the FPS, partly due to my experience and understanding of PS1. So it will go way beyond the few things the poster mentioned, not just "stray". One thing comes to mind is missions. Eventually, we'll be able to create missions that reward experience to do things that are tactically necessary, that you can't necessarily influence people to do all the time. It's great if you're that top 10% leader who has charisma, magnetism and influence that can get many people follow you. But custom mission creation evens the playing field a bit more. Maybe the "zerg" want to take such-and-such a facility, but you realize that an adjacent sector has the resources that would really tip the scales of the battle. So what do we do in PS1? Scream "guys, guys, guys over here!" Just one simple mission could turn the tide of the battle somewhere else on the frontline with "just the right" amount and type of forces, without disrupting major battles and causing total loss.

Last edited by Timithos; 2012-07-10 at 07:17 PM.
Old 2012-07-10, 09:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Ivam Akorahil
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Accuser View Post
from what ive seen isnt it only the personal shield that regens? i didnt not spot hp regeneration in any video
Old 2012-07-10, 09:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Ivam Akorahil View Post
from what ive seen isnt it only the personal shield that regens? i didnt not spot hp regeneration in any video
Check the example on the first page, there was health regen. However that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2012-07-08, 06:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
TAA
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Antivide View Post
What worries me is that Higby in many interviews likes to emphasize that they're taking a lot of influences from "AAA FPS games" like Battlefield and Call of Duty.
If this game played like Battlefield but on a massive scale like they promise then it would be a monster hit. I would be very happy with this. At least I would get to play on an Oceanic server.
Old 2012-07-08, 04:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
codylee
Private

ewww.. call of duty style guns make me want to puke @_@ i'm pretty sure the tr's default weapons will be the most cod like *pukes*

Last edited by codylee; 2012-07-08 at 04:03 AM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions