Thrustpads [Jump Pads] - Page 19 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: total killwh0re
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-25, 05:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #271
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Re: Thrustpads [Jump Pads]

Originally Posted by Trolltaxi View Post
- MAX - jumppad gives a slight kick in the butt and the max flies somewhere 1/2 distance between towers. Travel time is more than 30 seconds.
Not a terrible idea, except for the travel times. Gravity doesn't work that way. It would look horribly stupid if there was a MAX hanging in midair as it slowly fell in an arc from one tower to the ground half way towards the other tower.

Also, even if it did make any kind of sense, that would be terribly imbalanced to have a unit stuck in locked transit, exposed to players shooting at them, for any longer than a few seconds.

But having different ballistic arcs for each class is a pretty good idea, as long as all of the classes stayed in the air for relatively similar amounts of time, somewhere within the range of a few seconds tops.
Old 2012-05-25, 05:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #272
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

What troll is saying is that there would be variable travel times between towers depending on the troop type. Max would only get halfway to next tower amd would have to hoof it the rest of the way. I dont care for this solution since it would drop you into the open deathzone that is going to be between these towers. Imho the towers themselves being defensive redoubts are going to be a lot of fun playing on, and being able to shift reinforcements from nearby towers will be a neat dynamic. As the towers fall one by one the fighting should become even more intense. Damn I am looking forward to beta.
Old 2012-05-25, 06:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #273
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
What troll is saying is that there would be variable travel times between towers depending on the troop type. Max would only get halfway to next tower amd would have to hoof it the rest of the way. I dont care for this solution since it would drop you into the open deathzone that is going to be between these towers. Imho the towers themselves being defensive redoubts are going to be a lot of fun playing on, and being able to shift reinforcements from nearby towers will be a neat dynamic. As the towers fall one by one the fighting should become even more intense. Damn I am looking forward to beta.
Duh, I'm a moron. Can't believe my brain tried to apply logic in the wrong direction.

My bad trolltaxi. Good idea period then (IMO). Maybe not the best solution, but a decent possibility none the less.
Old 2012-05-26, 02:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #274
Trolltaxi
Sergeant Major

NP mate, and Sledge is right with the implementation. It would take 30 secs for a max to reach the next rooftop.

And about the mid-space being a deadzone... I think the attackers would feel pretty bad when maxes start to fall on their heads. They all focus on enering the tower when they get some heavy steel in their backs from above. Call it a defensive maxcrash!
Old 2012-05-26, 06:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #275
Fuse
Sergeant

Originally Posted by MrKWalmsley View Post
In a setting where jet packs are common place (and predictably would be used more than the other classes) walls really do become obsolete. And before you claim that the walls would keep vehicles out then remember that the space inside the base is so compact that it is practically urban combat and any tank driver with a bit of sense would think twice before driving in such a small space while absolutely surrounded by high attack points whilst in an enemy base chocker-block with enemy soldiers.

The average wall around a modern military base is a wire fence, designed purely to keep people out, not vehicles. And even camp bastion with its piles of sand filled blocks for walls is only designed to keep out cars, and wouldn't stand a chance against a tank whacking into it. So basically in such a tight space where vehicles are vulnerable and ineffective anyway the only real use for a wall is to keep out infantry, and in a setting where your average soldier has the capability to quickly and effortlessly fly over the wall they become useless as a defence mechanism.
Walls block direct fire from armor and force combatants in to defensible choke points. That has not changed because one class gets jetpacks.

Also, how many tanks do you think "insurgents" have? Our modern military is not fighting a traditional war. You really can't compare a military base in Afghanistan to one in PlanetSide.

Personally, I think we wait till beta to see, but I don't see why the pads can't work. The fact that you are vulnerable is the trade-off for moving so fast. I like them much more than the zip-lines from Core Combat. The only concern I have is I feel there needs to be a mechanic to stop people from just jumping back and forth between two towers firing explosives below. Maybe they'll be slow enough that it would be too easy to pick someone off if they try to cross twice without heals/repairs, I don't know yet.
Old 2012-05-26, 07:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #276
Duddy
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Fuse View Post
The only concern I have is I feel there needs to be a mechanic to stop people from just jumping back and forth between two towers firing explosives below. Maybe they'll be slow enough that it would be too easy to pick someone off if they try to cross twice without heals/repairs, I don't know yet.
Well you could do something boring such as putting in a cool down on the player after using one, though that may be contrary to the idea altogether.

Or you could do something entertaining such as applying a significant damage taken debuff while airborne! At the very least that would introduce some risk into using it.
Old 2012-05-26, 07:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #277
Fuse
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
Well you could do something boring such as putting in a cool down on the player after using one, though that may be contrary to the idea altogether.
Aye, that's the best I've come up with so far. There has to be a more elegant solution, doesn't there?
Old 2012-05-26, 11:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #278
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by Fuse View Post
Aye, that's the best I've come up with so far. There has to be a more elegant solution, doesn't there?
I hope the Devs go with the idea that only some bases have them. That way they won't be a constant irritant to those who hate them but they will be there to break up the game a bit and give some variety. With the walls tweeted by T-Ray I now think there is a lot we haven't seen yet and we will be blown away by the E3 reveal. Cannae wait!
Old 2012-05-27, 10:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #279
ArcIyte
Sergeant

If the bases need silly jump pads, then perhaps the bases are just too large.

Or, give the defenders some kind of underground tunnels to each of the battlements. Have it stem from one of the innermost buildings, so it's a high priority target for invaders to stop guys from getting on the walls.

Really though, anything is better than ridiculous Quake jump pads throwing soldiers in the air during a fight.

WWW.ENCLAVEOILRIG.COM
Old 2012-05-27, 10:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #280
Thomas
Corporal

Jump Pads are going to be great. Looking forward to them.

Hey, atleast they're NOTHING like Battlefield or CoD!

Last edited by Thomas; 2012-05-27 at 10:19 AM.
Old 2012-05-27, 02:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #281
Fuse
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
Hey, atleast they're NOTHING like Battlefield
Old 2012-05-27, 03:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #282
Mechzz
Major

^
roflsnort as someone so eloquently put it. I even muted the audio as they said I would. Genius! I had tears streaming down my face from the point where they fired the guy at the stairs. Who needs lift pads when you can just launch peeps into the stairwell?

Oh, and will this be limited to the Vanny in PS2? Makes my growing itch to switch to NC all the harder to resist.

Seriously though, I wonder if Forgelight will lend itself to similar fun?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion