PSU: Better then sex.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2013-08-23, 02:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
fierce deity
Sergeant

What kind of FPS should I be getting with these specs

What kind of FPS should I be getting with these specs? https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60049645/System%20Specs.txt I average 15-20 FPS (GPU Bound) at all times (Which I am used to & and not complaining about since I know I don't have the greatest hardware), and I've just been really curious whether this is lower than what I should be getting. Is there anything that I can do to make it better?

I am looking forward to the optimization that is coming assuming Smedley isn't just spewing some BS.

Old 2013-08-24, 10:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: What kind of FPS should I be getting with these specs

GT 620 is an extremely weak GPU, so I'm not surprised by that performance. Honestly I don't even know if any optimization is going to help. Your CPU is good, but you need a new GPU.
Old 2013-08-24, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Yeah the CPU is fine...the RAM isn't as fast as it supports but that's no where near the issue that your graphics card is. [GPU] bound is exactly the problem. Optimization will help some, but AFAIK most of that is focusing on CPU stuff - better multi-threading and the like. A better GPU will help immensely.

If you want to upgrade it you need to give us a budget range.
And you probably also need to figure out what wattage your powersupply is and if it has the PCI-Express connectors it needs, as most better graphics cards will need some extra power.

Your monitor is only 1280x1024 (according to that .txt you posted, at least?) so even a little will go a long way. As an example the high-mid range GTX760 ($250) would give you good FPS at maximum settings in nearly any game at that resolution.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2013-08-24 at 11:03 AM.
Old 2013-08-25, 03:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
fierce deity
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
GT 620 is an extremely weak GPU, so I'm not surprised by that performance. Honestly I don't even know if any optimization is going to help. Your CPU is good, but you need a new GPU.
Yeah I know its an incredibly weak GPU, Its the one that came stock with the computer.

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
Yeah the CPU is fine...the RAM isn't as fast as it supports but that's no where near the issue that your graphics card is. [GPU] bound is exactly the problem. Optimization will help some, but AFAIK most of that is focusing on CPU stuff - better multi-threading and the like. A better GPU will help immensely.

If you want to upgrade it you need to give us a budget range.
And you probably also need to figure out what wattage your powersupply is and if it has the PCI-Express connectors it needs, as most better graphics cards will need some extra power.

Your monitor is only 1280x1024 (according to that .txt you posted, at least?) so even a little will go a long way. As an example the high-mid range GTX760 ($250) would give you good FPS at maximum settings in nearly any game at that resolution.
I'd definitely be looking at no more than $300, but being a broke college student my budget for this stuff is effectively $0.

Old 2013-08-26, 07:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

How big is your case and how much watts is your PSU capable of? If this is a computer you bought what is the name of the brand and model? Need to know this for recommending a GPU.
Old 2013-08-27, 11:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
fierce deity
Sergeant

460W is the maximum output of the power supply. The case is roughly 14 3/4" x 6 3/4" x 14". The pc itself is a HP Pavilion HPE h8-1256s.

Also, is there any way to take stress of my gpu and shift it to the cpu (The opposite of what most people want to do.)

Last edited by fierce deity; 2013-08-27 at 11:59 PM.
Old 2013-08-29, 12:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Not really, there isn't any realistic way of shifting load from GPU to CPU. The two just aren't designed to perform the same kind of math.

Honestly, if you're college student strapped for cash but want a great gaming experience at your monitor's resolution, go with the Radeon HD 7770. A very powerful card for just $100, will allow you to run most modern games at high-ish settings (including PS2). The only thing to check here is to make sure your power supply has a six-pin PCI power connector (it has black and yellow wires). If it doesn't, you'll need to step down to a 7750 - slightly less powerful, but doesn't require the extra power connection.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2013-08-29, 06:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Little bit more expensive, but the GTX 650 Ti Boost is another good option. It can be quite a bit more faster vs the 7770 as seen here. The card also comes with $25 in station cash.
Old 2013-08-29, 09:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Little bit more expensive, but the GTX 650 Ti Boost is another good option. It can be quite a bit more faster vs the 7770 as seen here. The card also comes with $25 in station cash.
He can buy a 560 Ti 2GB on ebay also for around 80 USD. Cards are nearly identical in performance.
Old 2013-08-31, 09:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
He can buy a 560 Ti 2GB on ebay also for around 80 USD. Cards are nearly identical in performance.
Not the option I'd go with, but a viable route nonetheless.

So there's a number of options for you on the relative cheap.

The caveat with all of these is the six-pin power connector. If you have it, these are all choices, but if you don't the 7750 is pretty much the most powerful card you can buy that doesn't require extra juice.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark

Last edited by Ailos; 2013-08-31 at 09:34 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum