What class should carry ammo packs? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We will miss you Auraxis!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: What class should carry ammo packs?
LA (as currently implemented) 60 21.90%
HA 69 25.18%
Engineer 115 41.97%
Medic 19 6.93%
Infiltrator 2 0.73%
MAX 9 3.28%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-09, 10:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Re: What class should carry ammo packs?

Why would engineers carry ammo when they can already deploy a dispenser?
Old 2012-06-09, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Johari View Post
Ever since Neurotoxin posted the pictures with the cert trees I've calmed down a little about this topic. Why? Because the Engineers can choose to deploy a Mobile Armaments Supply Terminal. Maybe make this deploy able Unlimited ammo resupply while the LA is a one or two time drop.
Woot this is great! But is still think HAs should be able to carry an ammo box or two just in case. I guess that these Supply Terminals will require power to operate right? In any case ST could only be deployed in secured areas otherwise they will get blown up pretty fast, so need for carrying AB for front-line use isn't entirely removed.
Old 2012-06-09, 10:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Crustion
Private

The dispenser might be a vehicle re-supply point since there's no lodestar.
Old 2012-06-09, 10:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
IMMentat
Contributor
First Sergeant

I voted MAX, in PS1 I always carried spare ammo/supplies for softies in all setups. It also works out for encouraging other classes to provide backup for MAX users.

After thinking about it more am torn between medic and engineer (also?) getting ammo packs/stations.
The medic needs folks to not run around like loons in oder to heal effectivley so an ammo pack could help this.
OTOH, engineers are the traditional ammo vendors, though so far engineers seem to have few jobs other than #place deployable here.

The only thing i'm sure of is that Infiltrators, HA and LA will not use the packs effectivley, they will resupply themselves in a safe area and mostly ignore others needing supplies.

Last edited by IMMentat; 2012-06-09 at 10:42 AM.
Old 2012-06-09, 10:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Ohanka
Private

Engineer. Makes sense.
Old 2012-06-09, 10:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

If that's the case then sure, give it to either Heavy or Light assault as a one-three times per life/resupply station and the engineers get a dispenser.
Old 2012-06-09, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Unless where going to ever go back to the old PS1 style with inventory and such which doesn't look like its ever going to happen. Then I am of the opinion they give it to engineers. It just does not make sense for LA to have the ability.

Old 2012-06-09, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Zebasiz
Corporal

Engineers could have a deployable ammo station like they deploy turrets. It would last for only a short time or limited use, but would act as a mini-terminal. But for the most part arn't engineers more often by, or in the armor? Usually repairing tanks right behind the front line etc. Not often near the infantry unless their setting up a turret. Also engineers already can repair, make turrets, lay mines, and possibly some other options we haven't seen yet.
But the medics are always going to be with the other infantry. They can heal/revive and drop ammo.
Every class doesn't need support abilities. Having 2 full support classes that can also shoot people seems more than enough.
Old 2012-06-09, 10:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

I know that the matter of LAs is mostly settled since devs said they'll give that ability to other class but here another reason against giving Ammo packs to LA:

Consider the situation going one-on-one against LA and he runs out-of-ammo. Any class is toast in that case and has to run for life to find a safe point to resupply. However it is the easiest for LA since he can just jump over the wall/on the roof and resupply in relative safety and get back in quickly. Other classes without jet-packs can't do that and would have to either run to safety or suffer the incoming damage while resupplying in the field. Note: HA shouldn't be able to resupply with force shield activated or that could be problematic too.
Old 2012-06-09, 10:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
bigcracker
Sergeant Major

Light assault makes the best sense to me why might you ask?

Heavy Assault will be able to use anti tank weapons / anti air weapons.So you want him to be able to spam that all day and not have to move?
Engys can drop mines and turrets so Samething as the heavy assault.People are worried that a Light assault is gonna jump pack into your base get on a tower and grenade spam you,Well if they want to waste resources like that good for them and if you and your outfit cant kill 1 guy then there is a problem. Leave its with Light Assault it only makes sense.
Old 2012-06-09, 10:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Dagron
Captain

I'm aware LAs will most likely lose ammo drop, but i don't like it.

Posting what i put on the other thread:

If they gave ammo packs to HAs, they'd drop it for themselves only, just like LAs have been doing... and don't get me wrong, i think they should be getting the extra ammo, but that just doesn't seem like coordenated group play to me.
If we're encouraging self ammo resuply, why not just give everyone bigger ammo reserves and be done with it?

The way i see it, zerglins will keep dropping ammo just for themselves, yes. But in an organized squad, the logical thing would be to have one of the LAs running around resupplying their front line pushers.

We shouldn't hinder smart gameplay just to dumb down the options so dumb players won't screw up. If LAs want to deny their side's HAs and MAXes the ammo, they should lose... That would be rewarding coordination and penalizing selfish zergs.

My idea was:

LAs could choose between c4 or droping ammo packs a couple of times per respawn. In the later case, if they run to an engi's dispenser, they resupply not only their ammo but that ability aswell. That way a LA could focus on support if they want to. He'd stay sort of tethered to an engi, running around the front lines dropping ammo to HAs and MAXes and returning to help the engi defend his nest.

This gives LAs another role to choose, one that not only helps front liners keep pushing, but also helps engis keep up a defensive position the front liners can fall back to if they're in trouble.

In the few war movies i've seen, the ammo guy keeps running around like a maniac trying to restock the others... it's not someone with a heavy machine gun to slow him down.

BTW, as for HAs never being used because MAXes do their jobs better: MAXes cost resources (i'm pretty sure), being HA doesn't.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-06-09 at 11:10 AM.
Old 2012-06-09, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by bigcracker View Post
Heavy Assault will be able to use anti tank weapons / anti air weapons.So you want him to be able to spam that all day and not have to move?
Read the OP. That issue was addressed, my suggestion was that ammo packs should include only ammo for light weapons not for rocket launchers and other heavy weapons. They should go to actual Resupply Terminals to get that kind of ammo.

Last edited by Immigrant; 2012-06-09 at 11:03 AM.
Old 2012-06-09, 11:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
raidyr
Corporal

Crazy idea: What if MAX suits carried the ammo?

MAX's would get infinite ammo which at the beginning sounds insane but consider how specialized they are it's not that bad. An infinite ammo burster MAX is just as effective against tanks and infantry as a limited ammo burster MAX. Their heavy suits would be able to hump a lot of bullets as well, and it would give them a teambased support role.

Non-crazy feedback: I'm okay with Light Assaults carrying the ammo.
Old 2012-06-09, 11:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
shadow58
Private

Engineer's already have so much going for them, it should be HA or just leave it as LA.

ShadoW58 BR23 CR5 Assassins | Rambo58 BR20 CR1 INI Elite | 2003-2005, Werner
Old 2012-06-09, 11:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Top Sgt
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by 2coolforu View Post
Why would engineers carry ammo when they can already deploy a dispenser?
kinda what were saying

only engineers should have ammo if it's a constructable dispenser that's great.

Point is Light assaults will lone wolf as current state sittin on rooftops and inaccessable places for others with packs only for themselves etc.. Even devs agreed and that's why it's being taken away etc.

jet packs themselves are already enough of a kit specialty for the Light assaults
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion