Non-orchestrated Placeholder Planetside Music leaked (Spoiler) - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where the flame department is always needed!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-14, 09:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: Planetside Music leaked (Spoiler)

VS>TR>NC for me anyway. NC is good, just didn't feel epic like the TR or VS.
Old 2012-06-14, 09:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

VS have the best battle music, TR have the most inspiring promotion and achvmnt music, and NC have the best travel music.

VS is like "Ok, gents, let's get the party started!" *Pewpewpew* (especially the 1st combat loop)
TR is like "Although our brothers died, we survive. We survive to WIN!"
NC is like "This desert is too small for us 1333..."

My thoughts about combat music:
NC combat music needs heavy rythm guitar and TR combat music lacks intensive wardrums.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-06-14, 09:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
CoMPacTKiLLeR
Private

After listening to the VS tracks, I must say that I'm really looking forward to playing as them. Same for the TR as well but you will never see me in red/black!

The TR and VS is what you would expect, with the TR having that evil empire feel and the VS showing some mass effect/ sci-fi influence which is nice. Both the sound effects and music are really well done for them.

The NC sounds took me by surprise. It just felt so out of place for me. I feel like I'm in a wasteland just driving in my buggy, smoking a cigar not caring that theres even a war out there to be fought. The NC are supposed to be rebels, fighting for their freedom and I think their music should reflect that. A great example I think
Old 2012-06-14, 09:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

ICK, the VS tracks are terrible.

Where is the military overtones? It sounds like some Rave/house/Need some bath-salts orgy music.

EDIT: ok, some of the later tracks are much better. But dam, all it needs is some wub wub, and some guy with his hair combed forward talking about being your boyfriend. Kids these days.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2012-06-14 at 09:28 AM.
Old 2012-06-14, 09:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
Revelator
Private

Misc Info

haha NC music reminds me of Snake Plissken!

EDIT:

Last edited by Revelator; 2012-06-14 at 09:29 AM.
Old 2012-06-14, 09:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Pennybagz
Private

Originally Posted by CoMPacTKiLLeR View Post
I feel like I'm in a wasteland just driving in my buggy, smoking a cigar not caring that theres even a war out there to be fought. The NC are supposed to be rebels, fighting for their freedom and I think their music should reflect that.
No, it makes perfect sense!

NC themes sound just like the kind of music greedy mercs would listen to while on the job for some shady megacorporation.

To be fair, the blues elements and twanginess pretty much fit for a ragtag faction using outdated and re-purposed equipment.
Old 2012-06-14, 09:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
CoMPacTKiLLeR
Private

Originally Posted by Pennybagz View Post
No, it makes perfect sense!

NC themes sound just like the kind of music greedy mercs would listen to while on the job for some shady megacorporation.

To be fair, the blues elements and twanginess pretty much fit for a ragtag faction using outdated and re-purposed equipment.
That makes more sense I guess. I interpreted the lore of the NC as them fighting for their freedom from the clutches of the TR as opposed to them being mercenaries and pirates.
Old 2012-06-14, 09:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
Revelator
Private

Misc Info

Originally Posted by CoMPacTKiLLeR View Post
That makes more sense I guess. I interpreted the lore of the NC as them fighting for their freedom from the clutches of the TR as opposed to them being mercenaries and pirates.
It's part of the new lore that they started out as corporate mercs.
Old 2012-06-14, 09:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
JHendy
First Sergeant

The twangy NC guitar stuff is... Horrible. Shudder-worthy even. The TR/VS stuff is great though.

Last edited by JHendy; 2012-06-14 at 10:11 AM.
Old 2012-06-14, 09:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
Figment
Lieutenant General

Hmm, while the TR and VS sound is quite good, I'm rather underwhelmed by the NC music. :/ The only one I like is the NC Main Theme, which is incidentally based on the old theme, but also has the most tone variety of the NC themes.

The NC combat music sounds somewhat monotone and lacks energy compared to other wargame music that uses the same instruments. The travel themes however have no energy at all and are rather moody. It needs some... Some spunk, some courage. Some life. Some... defiance.

Whatever that means. >.>

The TR is more of the epic struggle type music thanks to the orchestral tones, with slow builds up to something even in the travel themes. The VS music has a strong upbeat rythm and the mystery that goes with the fashion.

Yet the NC music feels a bit... "down" (some of the VS travel themes have that too btw). I kinda miss the "lighthearted epic" (if TR music is darker epic) and determined spirit from the original NC music (below).

Instead the new PS2 NC music seems a bit... more outlaw, Old West, but most of all, lazy. Slacking. It reminds me of Red Steel 2 music without the flute and japanese instruments. It sounds more like someone is strawling along on a lazy afternoon, than preparing for or having an epic battle against 'Terrany'.

Rebellious in a sense maybe, but not in a positive way, not... freedom fighter rebellious (think how the Star Wars rebels theme captures something epic and glorious is about to happen). I would have expected something more similar to the TR music, but then on a lighter and "hopefull" note.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-06-14 at 09:55 AM.
Old 2012-06-14, 09:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
Saifoda
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by JHendy View Post
The twangy NC guitar stuff is... Horrible. The rest of it is great.
Yeah, I agree.

But, after second or third balad*, right around the 6 minute mark, made me want to do this:

EDIT: The NC Main Theme was what I was referring too -- pretty baller; good to hear that melody again.

Last edited by Saifoda; 2012-06-14 at 10:09 AM.
Old 2012-06-14, 09:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Still imo NC battle music needs to be a little heavier with more continuous riffs. I mean I for one don't feel any fighting mood listening for their tracks.

In my extraordinary opinion, something like this if they want to keep up with blues/classic rock theme (the quality sux, but I don't there are any more decent instrumental remakes):

Or maybe something rather new and tense (for battles obviously), however I don't really think rock fits the combat:

Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-06-14 at 09:55 AM.
Old 2012-06-14, 09:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
Figment
Lieutenant General

Gah... *edit* keeps plugging it as vids! >.<
Old 2012-06-14, 09:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
Figment
Lieutenant General

*continued from above... accepting embedded vids as a part of the new world order*

Red Faction captured that reasonably well. Another piece of music that captures that mood well is IMO the title to North & South. Starship Trooper's Klendathu Drop also would have given a better sense IMO.

If it has to be more industrial, I'd have prefered something more along the lines of C&C's Industrial, Looks like Trouble, Warfare or Act on Instinct. Those all have a bit more drama and a lot more variation in instruments and tone. I really miss those things in the NC PS2 music. :/

Or something more like this perhaps?

Last edited by Figment; 2012-06-14 at 10:10 AM.
Old 2012-06-14, 10:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Gah... *edit* keeps plugging it as vids! >.<
There is a checkbox* to restrict the automatic media embed right below the first submit reply button.

EDIt: Checkbox*

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-06-14 at 10:03 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion