Do you believe your faction is correct? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Your sig has been pre-axed.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Which faction & why?
I am TR, because I support their agenda. 68 20.06%
I am TR for gameplay/aesthetic/social reasons. 56 16.52%
I am NC, because I support their agenda. 52 15.34%
I am NC, for gameplay/aesthetic/social reasons. 57 16.81%
I am VS, because I support their agenda. 57 16.81%
I am VS for gameplay/aesthetic/social reasons. 49 14.45%
Voters: 339. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-05, 08:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Re: Do you believe your faction is correct?

Originally Posted by IgloGlass View Post
they are the rightful rulers of humanity.
According to who? Have there been any elections on Auraxis? Or are you falling back to might makes right now.
You have yet to take that right

Last edited by FastAndFree; 2012-07-05 at 08:37 AM.
Old 2012-07-05, 08:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Vanath
Corporal

Originally Posted by FastAndFree View Post
According to who? Have there been any elections on Auraxis? Or are you falling back to might makes right now.
You have yet to take that right
Not on Auraxis but you did technically vote the TR into power. There were several votes aboard the expedition that give the TR full control of the fleet. The TR were also voted into power back on Earth.
Old 2012-07-05, 08:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Vanath View Post
Not on Auraxis but you did technically vote the TR into power. There were several votes aboard the expedition that give the TR full control of the fleet. The TR were also voted into power back on Earth.
The latest article said that the TR Military was supposed to step down according to TR law. I don't think they ever did that... So they are an illegal power according to themselves

Coincidentally it would sure be nice to have all the lore in one place

edit oh well apparently they did get the "paperwork" right, they have a council or something. I would bet good money that it's led by the same guy though. Still, I guess technically it might be legal. Would make sense, as SOE is trying to make all 3 factions both right and wrong

Last edited by FastAndFree; 2012-07-05 at 08:58 AM.
Old 2012-07-05, 09:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Oryon22
First Sergeant

I have always loved learning. I believe stifling any sort of education is a terrible thing.

Because of that, I align with the VS.

Old 2012-07-05, 09:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Canaris
Contributor
General

The Terran Republic is infallible, therefore we're always right and by default the NC & VS are always wrong.

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2012-07-05, 09:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
MrKWalmsley
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
The Terran Republic is infallible, therefore we're always right and by default the NC & VS are always wrong.
Since the VS and TR are both fascist doesn't that mean that the VS is at least slightly right?
Old 2012-07-05, 09:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
ITOS
Corporal

I don't really believe full heartedly in any of the factions, I believe in the late Thomas Connery and that each faction hold a part of his ideals and a part of his fears.

However, I think that the New Conglomerate (followed by the Terran Republic) has the best opportunity for setting things right if they won the war. I place the NC before the TR as I have yet to find anything in the new lore that clearly points to NC as having a rotten leadership.

Because no one will ever find out, Adam. Who would question us if we pinned it on some of Mattherson’s starving N.C. cronies? We’re calling the shots here, remember?
I can respect the Terran Republic, or rather I can respect it's followers that are fighting for honourable ideals. I strongly distrust their leadership, however. With the support of only a third of the people on Auraxis, I do not consider their claim as the legitimate government valid (and their use of military force even more wrong).

We must eradicate all that stands against us. Today we have declared our Sovereignty, a Vanu Sovereignty. Only one force can live on Auraxis, and it must be us.
I wouldn't have as much against VS if they didn't have that religious, self-righteous, you-will-be-assimilated-or-eradicated attitude. They are so very similar to the Covenant of the Halo games and I'm not talking about the purple. Science and development is fine, just do it responsibly and don't force others into it.
Old 2012-07-05, 09:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Sabot
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by MrKWalmsley View Post
I have, and clearly you haven't otherwise you would know the fundamental basis by which evolution occurs; natural selection. This means that in order for something to be classed as evolution it needs to be a biological change brought about through natural selection in populations, not individuals. And the process by which natural selection occurs takes place over thousands of years. Social selection, or Human selection is not the same as natural selection, which is survival of the most adaptable to changing environmental factors, therefore it cannot be evolution. There you go, your supposedly science loving society just got served in science by a dirty little NC.
I know how evolution through natural selection works and how we, on planet earth, who haven't traveled through a worm hole in space and are now waging war on each other, understand it. I was speaking with regards to the game and within the premise of the game, where an alien race with vastly superior technology and presumably a much better understanding of the universe and everything in it, and the possibility of them knowing something us mere humans don't know... you know... science fiction. Which this is. So... even though this is the internet, and it's very hard not to... try not to be so pretentious. It's just such a buzz kill and it's boring.
Old 2012-07-05, 10:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
MrKWalmsley
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sabot View Post
I know how evolution through natural selection works and how we, on planet earth, who haven't traveled through a worm hole in space and are now waging war on each other, understand it. I was speaking with regards to the game and within the premise of the game, where an alien race with vastly superior technology and presumably a much better understanding of the universe and everything in it, and the possibility of them knowing something us mere humans don't know... you know... science fiction. Which this is. So... even though this is the internet, and it's very hard not to... try not to be so pretentious. It's just such a buzz kill and it's boring.
If it does not fall under the description of Evolution, then it is something different. Simple. I didn't bring evolution into it so don't blame me! We are having an argument over fictional factions, it's not pretentious, it's role-play! I mean you seriously don't actually believe that the Vanu are justified do you? Also could you please respond to the rest of what I said? Don't be so boring!

Last edited by MrKWalmsley; 2012-07-05 at 10:16 AM.
Old 2012-07-05, 10:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Mune
Private

I didn't play PS1 (didn't know it existed until I saw TB's videos about PS2 actually, but I don't play subscription games anyway) so my choice may change once I get my hands on the actual game. However, I generally always choose the 'evil' side in games like these, and so I'm going with TR (TB's enthusiasm for them may have helped tip the scales a bit).

Maybe calling TR evil is a bit much, but out of the 3 they are the authoritarian 'you will do as we say' faction. This always appeals to me in a game that revolves around defeating an enemy via violence (so basically all of them). Being the bad guys in an imaginary world where I'm doing things that I'd consider 'evil' in real life anyway (I'm a bit of a pacifist, too many unjustified wars in the world) just makes for better immersion. I don't play computer games in order to play as myself, I do it to pretend to be someone else in a different world. If I'm going to be shooting people in the head until they die, and enjoying the process, I might as well admit I'm on the side of evil.
Old 2012-07-05, 10:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by MrKWalmsley View Post
If it does not fall under the description of Evolution, then it is something different. Simple. I didn't bring evolution into it so don't blame me! We are having an argument over fictional factions, it's not pretentious, it's role-play! I mean you seriously don't actually believe that the Vanu are justified do you? Also could you please respond to the rest of what I said? Don't be so boring!
We can do better than evolution, we just use the word out of convenience to get the point across easier

It is somewhat understandable that you do not believe the Vanu were superior. You have nothing to go by. But we have seen them. We have heard their echoes. If you would come and listen to what we have to freely share with all who would accept, you would understand. Or perhaps you are affraid of what you might find? I know I was. But no regrets

Last edited by FastAndFree; 2012-07-05 at 10:46 AM.
Old 2012-07-05, 11:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
MrKWalmsley
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by FastAndFree View Post
We can do better than evolution, we just use the word out of convenience to get the point across easier

It is somewhat understandable that you do not believe the Vanu were superior. You have nothing to go by. But we have seen them. We have heard their echoes. If you would come and listen to what we have to freely share with all who would accept, you would understand. Or perhaps you are affraid of what you might find? I know I was. But no regrets
Oh come now! We all know that the Vanu were technologically superior, but they weren't exactly some superior species, or worthy of godlike status! You seem to think of them as some kind of supreme species of the universe! Godwin's law anyone?

Last edited by MrKWalmsley; 2012-07-05 at 11:10 AM.
Old 2012-07-05, 11:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Doxy
Staff Sergeant

Vanu are just your regular geeks with very badass guns =]
Ohh and technology will save us all.
Old 2012-07-05, 11:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

I support the Terran Republic because of what the TR were on Earth, not what the TR are on Auraxis. Hundreds of years of peace, prosperity, and human advancement? TR are truly all the great things about all the Empires with a little heavy handed law enforcement thrown in, but as long as it's true what they say about no one being above the law and the government being truly transparent, sounds like something I can get behind if it actually existed.

The reason I'm a part of the TR on Auraxis is maybe it is a bit necessary. New world, terrorist presence since the beginning of the expedition, and the possibility of an outside threat. We don't know why the Vanu are gone, we don't know if there are alien neighbors around. In the fragile state we are in as newcomers to Auraxis, security is much preferred imho.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2012-07-05, 11:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Otleaz
Second Lieutenant

We must be pretty good if our only criticism is that we are religious fanatics, since that is only a minority among the Vanu. The Vanu are thinking men, they won't stoop so low as to worship something... Only our undesirables would do something like that.

I personally joined the Vanu because I knew that if the NC won the war, it would lead to civil war and eventually corporate oppression, and if the TR won, they would never be able to create a secure government now that a major rebellion has happened.

Even without using technology to advance humans, the people would benefit most from the Vanu winning the war.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion