The Riddle of Command - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If this quote gets answered, i'll be dead by then
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2003-01-30, 09:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
txMaddog
Corporal

Take the Team Player, I don't need someone second guessing me during a fight. Plus if everyone only takes 'l337 dudes' then how is the average player going to aquire the skills to become a 'l337 dude'??

West Coast Planetside Server
"If it's not Flashy and in High Style then what's the point?!?!" - B.D.N.
Old 2003-01-30, 10:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
RageMaster
Corporal

I don't need someone second guessing me during a fight.
What about if his plan was better?

As a derivative of scenario 3...

5. You're a commander and issue and order to a squad member, who then preceeds to disregard it entirely for his own course of action. His course of action is sound and he becomes the main contributor to your victory. What would you do with the 'disobedient'?

Still kick him from the squad? He just 0wned everyone, he lead the squad to victory, and XP. As a commander, I think its best to realise when someone else has made better judgement on the situation. You learn from him, you understand what that player is good at and why he read the situation better than you did. You talk to them after the battle and get to an understanding on how best to work together as a team and learn how he'd like to be implemented in the next siege.

He's satisfied because he's playing how he want's to play, you're satisfied because its working for your squad. At the end of the day its just a game, I dont want to log on and take orders from a commander who doesn't reckognise my skills and doesn't know where my strengths lie. Commanders I sit with will have as much respect for me as I do for them, and won't force me to do things if I think its a bad idea.

In my eyes, this is what will make or break commanders in PlanetSide.
Old 2003-01-30, 10:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

Good variation. My answer is this:

If the guy's plan was utterly brilliant, I would make him second command or at least a squad leader, provided that he agrees not toblatantly disregard orders in the heat of combat again. Outside the moment, there is always time to reassess, but when an entire unit is committed, you need to carry out the plan whether you have a better idea or not.

If the plan wasn't brilliant, and it was simply luck or leet play, I would thank him for his contribution and not invite him back next time.
Old 2003-01-30, 10:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
mistled
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

5) It honestly depends on who it is, hot brilliant the plan was, and whether or not he's an arrogant sob about his plan working.

If he's a member of my clan, I ream him for making his commander look like a goof , and then probably promote him.

If he's not a member of my clan and he's mouthy about how my plan was stupid and his saved the day, then he's out and I won't play with him again. Can't have open dissention in the ranks, it's just not good for group morale.

But if he's not a member of my clan, has a brilliant plan, and then doesn't really mention that he saved the day by directly disobeying orders (or if he's good natured about it, either way... depends on the rest of his attitude), then I've no problem letting him stay in the group. The exception to this is if his disobeying orders got some of my other men killed because they didn't know what was going on. If you're going to change the battle plan on the fly, at least convey that to the people around you, so that they don't get slaughtered because they thought you were taking care of something that you aren't. If you get my men killed with no warning because you want to be the hero, you're out of the group right then, no questions asked. I don't care how brilliant you think your plan was.

...Visit {BOHICA}...

{BOHICA}: Giving it to Gamers, One Ass Kicking at a Time
Old 2003-01-30, 11:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
Dead Ben
Private

Issue 5.

Still ream him for not following orders.

Whether his plan is successful or not doesn't matter, when he's under your command he should take orders from you. Once he does it once, he'll do it again, and it may not always work out right.

Sure it was good that his plan worked but to have cohesiveness you have to have some sort of pecking order.

I'd praise the plan that worked but also let him know that further disobeyed commands with result in disciplinary problems for him if he is in my outfit.

If he is always coming up with better plans or thinks he can then we can discuss his usefulness in that regard and work with it then but not on the battlefield.
Old 2003-01-30, 11:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

1) Im a sniper, and if he wants a lightly armed and armored guy to assualt something, then hes cracked brained.
2) see above.
3)He was showing willfullness, this is not allowed, send him for processing.
Old 2003-01-30, 08:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
tazz
Corporal

It all depends on the situation.
Have any of you played Natural Selection, well if you have then you might know what i mean, for this following reason:
You shouldnt have to follow your commanders every need, for he may or isnt with you, therefore you should be able to 'translate' his command into your situation. In other words change his order to comply with your situation.
Such as an unforseen tank that your commander doesnt know about, you should be able to act accordingly(not great example).

And also using Natural Selection as an example again, if an order doesnt make sense you should still follow your commander, as he probably will have a better idea of the battle field, and it will probably work out the why later on.

Last edited by tazz; 2003-01-31 at 03:19 AM.
Old 2003-01-30, 09:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
RageMaster
Corporal

Tazz speaks much sense.

Though I think its the commanders responsibility to make everyone in the squad happy, if the trust is there and an individual squaddie can end up owning some serious ass, he should be given the opportunity to. And if he's proved himself as a successful lone wolfer, as a commander I'd end up letting him 'free-roam' if that is the best way he can contribute to the squad's success.

If he isnt the strongest team-player, but can kick some Varu / Conglomerate ass on behalf of our team I'd rather have him under my squad doing what the hell he likes. I can always invite other more team oriented players and I can and still enjoy the benefits of one kickass-mo'f**ka in my squad. I can see only benefits to having a player like this.

You just adapt, make that soldier exempt from specific orders and rake in the XP from more victories.

I'm sorry, if any commander DIDNT want that sort of player in their squad, I'd ceirtainly take them off your hands and keep them happy.
Old 2003-01-30, 10:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Ludio
First Sergeant

Well Tazz and RageMaster hit the nail on the head. You want teamwork with flexibility.

Has anyone read Enders Game? In the book Ender has to go to a military accademy where they train in a game. The accademy is split into teams and the compete as training/weeding out good generals from bad. Ender makes the best squad becuase he doesnt have mindless drones who just follow formations and work as a team. He splits his team up into individual squads that can work independently. He is a good leader because he doesnt give orders all the time.

Thats why squads/platoons would work well with this model. They have commanders (and probably second/third for replacments), but they dont need him, they can work without him. The commander makes sure everyone is doing their own thing in a way that helps the team. A skilled commander doesnt make a msterfull battle plan. He makes sure people are doing what they are good at.

Of course a commander has the larger perspective to think about, and gives orders, but he isnt god. He is someone who is directing the flow of combat. Commanders also have to make the game fun because we have to remember this is a game. We dont want to spend 20 hours doing guard duty for the commander just in case (I know its hyperbole).

In the end commanders are important, but they arent the only person who matters.
Old 2003-01-30, 11:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
mistled
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Orson Scott Card is the man.

"There is no teacher but the enemy."

...Visit {BOHICA}...

{BOHICA}: Giving it to Gamers, One Ass Kicking at a Time
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion