Recording Battles - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hamma must be squozen
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-05-18, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Re: Recording Battles

sick idea love this.
Old 2012-05-18, 10:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Noivad
Master Sergeant

World Of Tanks Has an ingame Viedo feature, that you can fast forward, reverse, in crease frame rate, and see the battle time. Feature can be enable / disabled by the gamer. These vids are up to 15 mins long and then can be replayed in fraps to edit / convert ti different formats. Does not affect my frame rate.
Old 2012-05-22, 05:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
blackfang
Private

Now they got another item to sell in the item shop. For those of us who wants to record can invest in filming rights. You get the program from them and that will allow you to record better then with fraps and such. While the others are still possible it would perhaps increase the income from ps2 by a slight degree more Which can be spewed back into development^^ Win-win
Old 2012-05-22, 09:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
duomaxwl
Captain

Originally Posted by DSxGIIR View Post
I'm all for this, running fraps reduces frame rate which can hurt you gameplay experience.
I like Dxtory for that purpose.
You can run the game at 1080p, set the recording resolution at 720p,
and it runs just fine. Better than FRAPs, anyway (for 720p at least.)
But I do like this idea. Hopefully we'll see something like this, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Old 2012-05-22, 01:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

Always thought of a command terminal function to have say helmet cam view of squad members or even have access to base cameras (possibly be able to hack base cameras and or footage.) Mabey even be able to have UAVs or some other type of NPC player assisted Robot that ccan also record and capture video data.

Anyways these tools have some tactical ans strategic value but I would love to see it used in a Machinama video.
Old 2012-05-22, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Harasus
Sergeant

/sign
Old 2012-05-22, 05:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
ichebu
Private

I know I'm new here, but I've been lurking here for a while and just made an account to say /signed
Old 2012-05-22, 08:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Isn't this what SuperMorto was going all rabid about several months back?
Old 2012-05-22, 09:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
LancerNC
Private

that would be way tight!

/sign
Old 2012-05-23, 06:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

# win
Old 2012-05-30, 08:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
SirDart
Private

/sign

Awesome, just awesome!
Old 2012-05-31, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Tapman
Staff Sergeant

I'm glad to see my topic get resurrected! Thanks Pollo!

In his recent community interview, Higby stated that there will be a feature where you can hit a button to record video and instantly upload it to Youtube. Also they are working to integrate streaming services in so that you can enter your Ustream or Twitch.tv account info and start streaming your gameplay immediately. Neither of these is exactly what I had in mind but I'd say it is an excellent start!
Old 2012-06-19, 12:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

/sign
Old 2012-06-20, 04:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
BillyBob
Corporal

Originally Posted by Tapman View Post
I'm sure that many of you out there have thought about or attempted to make a Planetside video using Fraps or some sort of screen-capture software. There are some good videos out there but it is insanely hard to truly capture the scale of our battles, especially when the cameraman is at risk for being blown up at any time.

Given that SoE is working to make the minimum system requirements very generous, I would venture to say that there is a possibility of creating a system similar to the "Saved Films" feature of Halo 3 where people could record their battles to allow for replay from any angle (limited by the hexagonal sectors that the battle is taking place in) and upload them to share with the community. Throw an in-game timestamp on it so that if multiple epic battles are going on simultaneously and affecting each other then the originals could be combined into a larger replay to show the real scale. As I stated in the original thread where I mentioned this idea, this should always take a backseat to content development and balancing. To prevent griefers from crashing the server, keep the recording client-side and have a separate server for the combination/rendering of the replays so that gameplay is unaffected.

Give subscribers the chance to vote on the battle of the day, the winners become finalists for battle of the week, and so on for the month and year, and annually you could have votes on the best battle of all time. Outfits could use this for training purposes and for analyzing what went right and wrong after battles, helping individuals become better and developing specific situational tactics. It would also give people a record of battles for anecdotal purposes, instead of text-based flame wars on the forums you would see those people posting the videos of them owning their rivals, a much more concise way to conclusively settle these disputes.

Besides the benefits for current subscribers, the marketing implications of having these battles recorded for anyone to see is pretty tremendous. Giving anyone the opportunity to see how awesome this game is is sure to have every FPS gamer who sees it drooling shortly before they join the ranks. Thoughts?
Sounds cool!

However...

All possible technical difficulties aside...and unless I misunderstood your description of how this would work...there needs to be a significant time delay involved for using this feature to prevent it from being exploited.

If you could access this in anything even remotely close to real-time, then it could probably also be used to gain advantages on the "battlefield".

Still, as long as that potential issue is somehow addressed and it's possible to implement from a purely technical perspective, it does sound like a nice idea.

/BB

Last edited by BillyBob; 2012-06-20 at 04:43 AM.
Old 2012-06-20, 04:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Lanka
Private

Originally Posted by Tapman View Post
I'm glad to see my topic get resurrected! Thanks Pollo!

In his recent community interview, Higby stated that there will be a feature where you can hit a button to record video and instantly upload it to Youtube. Also they are working to integrate streaming services in so that you can enter your Ustream or Twitch.tv account info and start streaming your gameplay immediately. Neither of these is exactly what I had in mind but I'd say it is an excellent start!
Was it in ABP Reloaded that you could press record and it'd actually start the record from what happened x seconds before? Essentially the game was recording everything that happen, just rewriting the x seconds until record key was pressed. Something like that with WoT style battle recording that has practically no impact on game performance..

Also the top-view record of all vehicle&infantry movements would be sweet. Didn't they talk about tablet/web platform that could show real-time situation in the continents etc? Wouldn't be that big leap if they'd record all the movement over days/weeks/months/PS2-life-span.

Ofcourse, I'd love to have the best idea of 3d record of everything going on.

Do wonder.. I assume they'll have GMs invisible/ghostly spectators when necessary. Think if you could get that kind of status (obviously without actual GM powers, just able to spectate without limit) for youtube/twitch/streamers to use for recording/streaming/commentary. They could just limit the access to people who actually use it for that purpose only so tempted players couldn't use it for spying on enemy factions?

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault