looting "makes it alot more of a balance nightmare" - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The Unoffically Offical Unoffical #1 Fan site
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-10, 09:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
moosepoop
Captain

Re: looting "makes it alot more of a balance nightmare"

without inventories players cant spam grenades anymore, or carry extra medic packs that unbalances the fight, which is good.
Old 2011-07-10, 09:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

I would much rather personally see the current inventory system kept (or even improved upon in some way), but that's just my personal take on it.
Old 2011-07-10, 09:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
moosepoop
Captain

in my opinion the current inventory system is redundant, and only benefits various types of spamming.
Old 2011-07-10, 09:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Effective View Post
I would much rather personally see the current inventory system kept (or even improved upon in some way), but that's just my personal take on it.
if they scrap it i hope they make have some sort of system for looting ammo or greandes medapps and shit, or to give people ammo, it was always good in the original when you runout somebody could drop a box of ammo. (i remember dropping lots of ammo boxes out of my skeeter to people on towers)

but yea not been able to loot enemy weapons? so we drop on a tower...run out of ammo...cant loot anything because its all ammo used for the other empires weapons which we cant use eather and pullout our quickknifes?
Old 2011-07-10, 10:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Hamma
PSU Admin

For me personally I'd like to see inventories stay in PS2. They added an interesting aspect and allowed you to be a bit more versatile.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-07-10, 10:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
For me personally I'd like to see inventories stay in PS2. They added an interesting aspect and allowed you to be a bit more versatile.
Agreed. My ideal compromise would have been inventories, but for ammo and whatnot, not storing extra guns/tools/etc.

You could carry a REK, a CUD, an.. umm.. Engy tool, etc, just not all at once. Have the inventory for figuring out what spare ammo one is going to carry along, but limit the tools to the slots alone.

Still, no inventories isn't all bad. I do hope we get to alter ammo amounts in some fashion, but so long as I can swap guns around I'll be happy.
Old 2011-07-12, 03:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
klu
Corporal

i found the old inventory system to be tedious, i would like it simplified while still allowing for customization. removing looting is removing a feature that has been common in multiplayer shooters for over a decade, i thought they were trying to make ps2 more mainstream.
Old 2011-07-12, 03:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
Desoxy
Corporal

Originally Posted by klu View Post
i found the old inventory system to be tedious, i would like it simplified while still allowing for customization.
I am right there with you, it was fun at first, but after some time it got tedious.

The system could for instance be weight based - ammo/grenades/medkits/other class specific gadgets each have a specific weight and per class/armor you have a total weight that you cannot exceed (maybe even limit things like frag grenade to two per soldier or whatever). That should allow for customization while not having to deal with an "inventory" per se. Whatever the devs decide to roll with I am confident they will have considered all other options..

I also like that they impose limits to class-specific weapons and tools. Otherwise you have to make sure that everything is not too powerful when combined with anything else which in the end tends to water down the whole arsenal.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-12, 04:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Jumping in late to this one but I can easily see how Looting does in fact make more of a balance nightmare.

One thing that jumped out at me is that they want to make the empires a lot more distinct in PS2 and shape empire weaponry and vehicles around the theme and style of the empire. They can balance that empire not by individual weapons but on the bigger picture. However, if you add in weapons and vehicles from other empires you change the picture, and by mixing & matching you could come up with some OP combinations that were not intended to be used together.

One example would be mixing in NC guerilla tactical weapons with TR weapons that may be of a more supressive nature. The two would not be balanced with the expectation that a squad is using both and the combination could prove to be cheesy and far more effective than with the empire's intended complimentary weaponry.

I also like the idea of keeping the empires distinct and unique by not polluting them with weapons and vehicles from other emipres. Though I do admit it was fun jumping into one of those other empire vehicles from time to time. It does change the dynamics though.

But the balance ease should be obvious - less combinations means less variables to consider and an easier time balancing.

Last edited by Malorn; 2011-07-12 at 04:36 PM.
Old 2011-07-12, 04:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
Bags
Lieutenant General

But you rarely got weapons from other empires. It's not like you could go to your terminal and pull a jackhammer on TR.
Old 2011-07-12, 04:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
Desoxy
Corporal

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
But you rarely got weapons from other empires. It's not like you could go to your terminal and pull a jackhammer on TR.
All the more reason not to waste development resources making sure it's not overpowered..
Old 2011-07-12, 04:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
Valdae
Sergeant

They said they don't want to implement looting incase of unbalancing issues, but how many times was this a problem in PS1? Of all the times I got killed in PS1 it was rarely by someone with a weapon not from their empire. Even if they DID use a weapon from another empire, they still had to make the effort to continually stockpile ammo from corpses.

This issue is making me think that the dev team has plans which could make looting unbalanced, like Empire-specific perks.

Its a shame really cause I liked the versatility of having different AV weapons in my locker for different situations. And the idea of not being able to loot more ammo, a medikit or even a new gun from a dead grunt really sucks. Hell, I remember seeing a VS MAX fly up to each level of a tower to disperse medikits to the soldiers who were trapped there. Now thats awesome.
Old 2011-07-12, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Desoxy View Post
All the more reason not to waste development resources making sure it's not overpowered..
What are you talking about?
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-12, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I think everyone in my outfit had a locker full of other empire's HA weapons.

I knew some folks that would exclusively use other empire's HAs. They'd loot 'em and store 'em on every opportunity and use them very frequently.
Old 2011-07-12, 04:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
I think everyone in my outfit had a locker full of other empire's HA weapons.

I knew some folks that would exclusively use other empire's HAs. They'd loot 'em and store 'em on every opportunity and use them very frequently.
I did too but I only used them during ToDs or interfarms. I don't recall ever hearing anyone get angry that the VS were using jackhammers.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion