Is nobody else depressed about having 3 factions again? Wouldn't 0, 2,or 4 be better? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Wait don't shoot! I need to reload!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Implementing Eve Style Factions?
Only use Eve Style Factions: 2 2.04%
Only use traditional Planetside Style Factions: 92 93.88%
Use Both 'Side by Side': 4 4.08%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 2011-08-04, 03:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Vancha
Colonel
 
Vancha's Avatar
 
Re: Is nobody else depressed about having 3 factions again? Wouldn't 0, 2,or 4 be bet


EVE is a bad example, because despite people's choice of race, it's not a restriction on who they fight with or against. The vast majority of fights in EVE aren't Minmatar vs Caldari vs Gallente vs Amarr.

I think 4/5/6/7/8+ empires could work in PS if it could work anywhere. You'd just need enough continents that were large enough and some system that meant having them all be part of the same fight at once wasn't very likely.
Vancha is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 03:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Bags
Lieutenant General
 
Bags's Avatar
 
Re: Is nobody else depressed about having 3 factions again? Wouldn't 0, 2,or 4 be bet


I like the three empire system, and what do you tell to the people who played the empire you axed? tough shit?
__________________
Bags is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 03:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Serisno
Private
 
Re: Is nobody else depressed about having 3 factions again? Wouldn't 0, 2,or 4 be bet


Originally Posted by Bruttal View Post
Its a lil hard to go back to 2003 and find all the conversations posted on the forums, Oh and No i dont want EVE if i wanted EVE id play EVE, I dont Play EVE because i dont Like EVE.
I was under the impression that Eve was a major inspiration for PS2.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/07/13/ev...-planetside-2/

And I agree on the fact that I don't want to play Eve. I'm tired of the space ship clicking buttons and waiting for the bad guy to die game. But you can't argue that they don't have an amazing community and faction system.
Serisno is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 03:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Raymac
Brigadier General
 
Raymac's Avatar
 
Re: Is nobody else depressed about having 3 factions again? Wouldn't 0, 2,or 4 be bet


Dose anybody here honestly think they are going to stray from the 3 faction system at this point in the development?
__________________
"Before you say anything, prepare to stfu." -Kenny F-ing Powers

Raymac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant
 
Chaff's Avatar
 
Re: Is nobody else depressed about having 3 factions again? Wouldn't 0, 2,or 4 be bet


.
My wife will likely never agree to a 3-way, so I'm left counting on PS to provide me with more than one thing to shoot at.....

okay ?

Don't take my only 3-way away.

booyah
Chaff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Logit
Second Lieutenant
 
Logit's Avatar
 
Re: Is nobody else depressed about having 3 factions again? Wouldn't 0, 2,or 4 be bet


Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
Dose anybody here honestly think they are going to stray from the 3 faction system at this point in the development?
The answer to this question is No.

This thread is a moot point.

2 Factions would be BORING.

4+ Would just simply be too much shit going on.

But 3333333333333333333 is the perfect #
Logit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 03:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Serisno
Private
 
Re: Is nobody else depressed about having 3 factions again? Wouldn't 0, 2,or 4 be bet


Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
EVE is a bad example, because despite people's choice of race, it's not a restriction on who they fight with or against. The vast majority of fights in EVE aren't Minmatar vs Caldari vs Gallente vs Amarr.

I think 4/5/6/7/8+ empires could work in PS if it could work anywhere. You'd just need enough continents that were large enough and some system that meant having them all be part of the same fight at once wasn't very likely.
You know thats true. I guess I wouldn't want a 4/5/6/7/8 faction game. I can see how it would be hard to make that worthwhile for every faction.

So in summary I can see how a 1/2/3/4/5/6/7... faction game will always have some drawback. I guess the devs chose 3 to pick the lesser of 7 evils.

At this point I'd say I'm really just down to wanting one of two things...

1. Use the Eve faction system. Which is: Don't force people into factions, let them make their own. (I'm going to hold onto hope that this could be implemented "later on in the story". I think I remember Smedley saying that there would be some big changes between release and what they envision the game to be years down the road.)

2. Use a 3 faction system on "some worlds" and maybe have an "outer territories" area where the factions have zero presence and everything is run based on player created factions. (Basically the faction system and the eve system living side by side.)
Serisno is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 03:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Serisno
Private
 
Re: Is nobody else depressed about having 3 factions again? Wouldn't 0, 2,or 4 be bet


Originally Posted by Serisno View Post
2. Use a 3 faction system on "some worlds" and maybe have an "outer territories" area where the factions have zero presence and everything is run based on player created factions. (Basically the faction system and the eve system living side by side.)
Now that I think on it some more. There is no way that they will eliminate the faction system entirely... They would have hinted at it already to get a feel for how the community would like that idea.

But I will still hold out hope that they might implement the 'side by side' approach.

How do you "3 faction lovers" feel about living in the 'side by side' world?
Serisno is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 03:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
JanitOr KanOs
Private
 
Re: Is nobody else depressed about having 3 factions again? Wouldn't 0, 2,or 4 be bet


I'm sure the good people who still play Dark Age of Camelot would like to have a word with you.
JanitOr KanOs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 03:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General
 
NewSith's Avatar
 
Re: Is nobody else depressed about having 3 factions again? Wouldn't 0, 2,or 4 be bet


Originally Posted by Serisno View Post
Now that I think on it some more. There is no way that they will eliminate the faction system entirely... They would have hinted at it already to get a feel for how the community would like that idea.

But I will still hold out hope that they might implement the 'side by side' approach.

How do you "3 faction lovers" feel about living in the 'side by side' world?
Game of Thrones, year NNNNN A.D.
NewSith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 03:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Serisno
Private
 
Re: Is nobody else depressed about having 3 factions again? Wouldn't 0, 2,or 4 be bet


I suppose an "I don't care" option would have been smart. You know... for the apathetics.
Serisno is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 03:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
basti
Brigadier General
 
basti's Avatar
 
Misc Info
Re: Is nobody else depressed about having 3 factions again? Wouldn't 0, 2,or 4 be bet


Originally Posted by Serisno View Post

2: I now agree that 2 factions would be bad.

3: What other games? And don't list Star Craft. Because that is not a persistent world. Yes it works well for balancing (rock paper scissors style) the three sides, but I'm not talking 'strength balance' I'm talking "battlefront balance". I'd like to see an example of a three faction system in a persistent world. But even if you show me a three faction system in a persistent world that works... I'll always look at Planetside and see a three faction system that ended up being a worldwide stalemate.

4: Apparently you never played Eve



------------------------------

Trust me. I want to like the three faction system. I just need someone to help me see how we won't devolve into what Planetside is right now?

Also, nobody has mentioned making the world more like Eve. Thoughts on that?
3: Erm, plenty of games. true, the persistent stuff is missing in most of them, but that doesnt matter, because the only difference is that you can win and then get a reset. While Planetside 2 wont have a reset, once one empire is pretty much beated down, the remaining two would clash each other, allowing the third one to regain ground. And it isnt just expirience from various games here, these are the very basics of war.

4. I played eve, alot, for years. Was a X-Trader, part of the Xetic, Trust as well as Dusk and Dawn. I blew up BOB, Goon, Stain, Curse and other alliance ships, as well as got blown up by them. I have taken part in countless battles, from small to large, including the destruction of TRUST in EC-p8r. Ive helped build container storages in Immensea, mined ressources in Branch, etc.
And from all those years playing eve, i know very well that 4+ can work, if you have enough options. But in Planetside 2, you wont be able to build alliances with other factions, or betray them by doing a suprise attack. You wont be able to crush an entire Alliance all by yourself. Eves deepness in this matter is somethign Planetside 2 will never reach, and should never reach. Planetside 2 will be a war between factions, that will always be at war. Thats the very core of Planetside, thats why we still enjoy the old one and look forward to the new one. Changing this very core aspect would take away almost everything that made Planetside to what it is.

And if you play eve, you should know how big fights can get. YOu know the lag. Eve can handle this barley, because the game is capable of rendering alot of players because it simply doesnt have to render much else. In Planetside, you would have 1000 or more players on terrain, in bases, with vehicles, including weather and much more lightning than in eve. That would cause alot of lag if fights get to big, hence the limitation to 1000 players. Besides that, playing with lag in Planetside isnt fun, after all you have to aim and shoot, not point and click.
Now, putting more than 3 factions would mean each faction would have less players. 333v333v333 with 3. 250v250v250v250 with 4, 200 each with 5, 166 each with 6, etc.
Fights would be smaller and smaller, and the entire idea of planetside, the massive war, would go into the bin.


Now, lets get to your actual concern: The issue.
Yes, its true, it sucks sometimes, but the problem there is not 3 factions, the problem is the lattience. It often forces your path, because doing back operations is pretty impossible with the right teamwork, and teamwork (the good outfits) mostly left years ago. That wont be that way in planetside 2. For once, going behind enemy lines seems to be easer this time, and besides that, those skilled outfits will be everywhere, filling up their ranks, doing awesome stuff. The Issue planetside has right now wont occur that much in the sequel, if ever at all.
__________________

basti is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 03:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Serisno
Private
 
Re: Is nobody else depressed about having 3 factions again? Wouldn't 0, 2,or 4 be bet


Originally Posted by basti View Post
Now, lets get to your actual concern: The issue.
Yes, its true, it sucks sometimes, but the problem there is not 3 factions, the problem is the lattience. It often forces your path, because doing back operations is pretty impossible with the right teamwork, and teamwork (the good outfits) mostly left years ago. That wont be that way in planetside 2. For once, going behind enemy lines seems to be easer this time, and besides that, those skilled outfits will be everywhere, filling up their ranks, doing awesome stuff. The Issue planetside has right now wont occur that much in the sequel, if ever at all.
They have mentioned that they are working on a new lattice system that is much more granular and should "solve the problems of Planetside". So maybe they have found a way to end the days of cyclic battling through a lattice upgrade.

I suppose I can just hope that things are in good hands and wait to see what happens. Worst case scenario I'll have a new shiney version of PS to play.

Last edited by Serisno; 2011-08-04 at 03:52 PM.
Serisno is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 04:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Atuday
Master Sergeant
 
Re: Is nobody else depressed about having 3 factions again? Wouldn't 0, 2,or 4 be bet


Solution is recruit more players. People want this game but many of them simply don't know they want it. Hint hint SOE spend a bit more time recruiting players who have never heard of planetside because all the planetside players are coming back any way.
Atuday is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 04:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
PsychoXR-20
Staff Sergeant
 
PsychoXR-20's Avatar
 
Re: Is nobody else depressed about having 3 factions again? Wouldn't 0, 2,or 4 be bet


When PlanetSide was very early in development there was a fourth faction. They didn't have a name, but their style was more of a modern military color scheme, with dark greens and browns (you may have seen really old screenshots with them). They were eventually cut because with four empires the fear was that two teams would end up forming, with two empires creating a tentative cease fire, and the game would become a two on two. It might happen in a week, it might take three years, but eventually the game will devolve into two sides. This was the reason the fourth empire was cut.
__________________
PsychoXR-20 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Bookmarks

Discord

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 PM.

Content © 2002-2013, PlanetSide-Universe.com, All rights reserved.
PlanetSide and the SOE logo are registered trademarks of Sony Online Entertainment Inc. © 2004 Sony Online Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved.
All other trademarks or tradenames are properties of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.