How well did Radeon cards perform with PS1? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: My cat just threw up a chipmonk
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2013-04-05, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Death2All
Major

Misc Info
How well did Radeon cards perform with PS1?

I'll be purchasing the last few parts for my new computer in the next few weeks or so. While I'm primarily building it to be able to play new games I'd still like to be able to reliably play PS1 when(if?) it goes F2P.

I've always heard small bits about how Radeon cards performed poorly with PS1 for whatever reason. I had always played PS1 with Nvidia and I was more than likely going to pick up a Radeon 7870 with this new build.

Also, I know that most newer tech performs poorly with PS1 since it doesn't support most of the new features.

I know this is more of a tech related question and probably belongs in the tech support forum, but I feel like it will get more attention here. Thanks and hopefully see you in PS1 in a little while.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2013-04-05, 04:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
KarrdeBRBU
Corporal

Re: How well did Radeon cards perform with PS1?

Performance in PS1 always seems to be up to random chance. Most ppl I know just get what HW they want and roll with the issues. Very rarely have I seen anyone have truly crippling issues with PS1.
Old 2013-04-05, 07:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
RedPower
Corporal

My PS1 graphics card : NV MX440 ---> ATI X800 ---> ATI H6850
And i want to know NV/ATI which one more fit PS1

Last edited by RedPower; 2013-04-05 at 07:34 PM.
Old 2013-04-05, 07:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
RedPower
Corporal

PS2 is a JOKE !
I love love love PS1 !
Old 2013-04-05, 11:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Leet
Private

ATI have notoriously bad drivers. When I had an ATI card I think the last drivers I could use (that gave me decent fps) were from 07-08. Since then I've only bought from Nvidia so I have no idea how far ATI have come with their drivers.

And it's not that newer tech performs poorly on PS. It's Windows 7 that causes the terrible performance. I'm curious if anybody has tried PS1 with Windows 8 (although it's hard to benchmark anyway, with only a couple people playing at once).
Old 2013-04-06, 01:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Leet View Post
ATI have notoriously bad drivers. When I had an ATI card I think the last drivers I could use (that gave me decent fps) were from 07-08. Since then I've only bought from Nvidia so I have no idea how far ATI have come with their drivers.

And it's not that newer tech performs poorly on PS. It's Windows 7 that causes the terrible performance. I'm curious if anybody has tried PS1 with Windows 8 (although it's hard to benchmark anyway, with only a couple people playing at once).
Hmm, I've heard 7 gave quite good performance.

It's my understanding: XP>7>Vista

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2013-04-06, 05:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
CrazEpharmacist
Staff Sergeant

I have a 4890 and get like 200+ fps even at 1080p with 32xaa and 16af. Personally though, I am going nvidia for my next gpu. The amd CCC 3d display settings hardly ever work. I lucked out getting the aa and af options to work with ps1. The vsync option doesn't seem to work though. So I still get pretty bad screen tearing and occasional stuttering. Not sure what causes the stuttering though. (vycnc causes input delay so I guess not really a downside that it doesn't work)

Windows7 seems to work okay with ps1 though often I'll get weird bugs where I have two mouse cursors or I can't click anything(usually happens when I first log on and attempt to join server). Though not sure if it's windows 7 as it's the only OS I've run ps1 on.

Last edited by CrazEpharmacist; 2013-04-06 at 05:28 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion