Prosieben is listening to the European Community - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: thunder, thunder, thunder..... thunder cats!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-02-22, 06:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Dart
Second Lieutenant
 
Dart's Avatar
 
Re: Prosieben is listening to the European Community


Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
That is a worrying part of this arrangement. However, I would hope that SOE would still be able to keep some control over their Intellectual Property. If Pro7 started doing things that damaged the name of Planetside and SOE, then it's reasonable to think that SOE would have the ability to take a course of action to correct that.
It really all depends on what has been agreed in the contract. SOE would only have that snooty if they chose to retain it during negotiations and we've already read that Pro7 understand the value of buying such privileges from a developer. I guess we'd better hope Smed was able to turn down whatever extra money was on the table in order to remain in some kind of control over the EU side of the company. Although judging by the tone of the Pro7 press release which Figgy was just quoting "special EU content" I'd say out sounds more likely that Smed sold it when he saw all those dollar signs!
Dart is offline  
Old 2012-02-22, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Figment
Lieutenant General
 
Re: Prosieben is listening to the European Community


Granted, "special EU content" may also simply refer to something harmless like specific cosmetics or events (as I mentioned in another thread... lederhosen beerfests - I mean those guys ARE situated in Munich).

However, if it's not properly sealed contractually, interpretation may cause problems. And remember, it's not the baby of these guys, it's their new cash cow. They have different emotions, motives and ethics regarding the properties they acquire.
Figment is offline  
Old 2012-02-22, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
somers
Corporal
 
somers's Avatar
 
Re: Prosieben is listening to the European Community


Originally Posted by Sabrak View Post
Dude, you can't SERIOUSLY believe that because John Smedley said they'll talk to Pro7, that their plans will change and that everything will be alright.
Come on... It's Smed we're talking about!

The deal is concluded, the terms of their partnership are most probably sealed, it's not because Smed says "we're listening" that they will actually act.

Telling people you're listening to their complains is the lesson 1 in "Handling a crisis for Dummies".
Lesson 2 is about convincingly telling people you're fixing everything when you're not even planning on acting.
Yeah that's nice and all but can you be any more of a pessimist? Be constructive not destructive... There is a possibility they will at least revise the current plans.
__________________

"I'm not 100% sure. I'm Indarcisive."-Xyntech
somers is offline  
Old 2012-02-22, 07:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Dart
Second Lieutenant
 
Dart's Avatar
 
Re: Prosieben is listening to the European Community


Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Granted, "special EU content" may also simply refer to something harmless like specific cosmetics or events (as I mentioned in another thread... lederhosen beerfests - I mean those guys ARE situated in Munich).

However, if it's not properly sealed contractually, interpretation may cause problems. And remember, it's not the baby of these guys, it's their new cash cow. They have different emotions, motives and ethics regarding the properties they acquire.
Yeah, ethics is exactly the word I'd use too. And based on the research I've done today, if Soe have sold the rights for Pro7 to introduce their own content to the game, do not be surprised to see extortionate game-breaking items and real cash costs for even threw most basic of tasks. If the way they've handled the EU version of S4 League is any indication that is exactly what we're looking at. I don't want to borrow trouble and hopefully this won't be an issue but everyone should understand the stakes here.
Dart is offline  
Old 2012-02-22, 07:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Sabrak
Contributor
First Sergeant
 
Re: Prosieben is listening to the European Community


Originally Posted by somers View Post
Yeah that's nice and all but can you be any more of a pessimist? Be constructive not destructive... There is a possibility they will at least revise the current plans.
I think you're actually dreaming, man.

Being optimistic is a good thing.
Not understanding that a deal is a deal, and that both sides won't pass on the money they are expecting to get, that's living in CareBears-Land.

Also, it's not like if it was the first time SOE and Smed messed up with their player base.
And you know what? They never gave a damn shit.
Sabrak is offline  
Old 2012-02-22, 07:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
somers
Corporal
 
somers's Avatar
 
Re: Prosieben is listening to the European Community


Originally Posted by Sabrak View Post
I think you're actually dreaming, man.

Being optimistic is a good thing.
Not understanding that a deal is a deal, and that both sides won't pass on the money they are expecting to get, that's living in CareBears-Land.

Also, it's not like if it was the first time SOE and Smed messed up with their player base.
And you know what? They never gave a damn shit.
Yes, but the community gives a shit and if they act out, it will cost Smedley money. Then you bet your ass he will listen to us.
__________________

"I'm not 100% sure. I'm Indarcisive."-Xyntech
somers is offline  
Old 2012-02-22, 07:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Dart
Second Lieutenant
 
Dart's Avatar
 
Re: Prosieben is listening to the European Community


Originally Posted by somers View Post
Yeah that's nice and all but can you be any more of a pessimist? Be constructive not destructive... There is a possibility they will at least revise the current plans.
Regarding Smed's response I'm afraid I think Sabrak has the truth of it. None of us know the details of the agreement which is in place but I highly doubt anyone is going to revise anything until they've at least given it a try. Let me put it this way (and posse don't think I'm being pessimistic, you genuinely will not find a more ardent fan of ps than me) but do you really think either pro7 or soe didn't expect this reaction? They knew they were going to get out and they're just hoping it'll die down soon enough that it doesn't disrupt anthony they have planned. Anthony they tell us right now must be taken with a table spoonful of salt!
Dart is offline  
Old 2012-02-22, 07:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
somers
Corporal
 
somers's Avatar
 
Re: Prosieben is listening to the European Community


Originally Posted by Dart View Post
Regarding Smed's response I'm afraid I think Sabrak has the truth of it. None of us know the details of the agreement which is in place but I highly doubt anyone is going to revise anything until they've at least given it a try. Let me put it this way (and posse don't think I'm being pessimistic, you genuinely will not find a more ardent fan of ps than me) but do you really think either pro7 or soe didn't expect this reaction? They knew they were going to get out and they're just hoping it'll die down soon enough that it doesn't disrupt anthony they have planned. Anthony they tell us right now must be taken with a table spoonful of salt!
I suppose you are right then... but we should seriously wait before judging even based on past experiences with Smedley and SOE.
__________________

"I'm not 100% sure. I'm Indarcisive."-Xyntech
somers is offline  
Old 2012-02-22, 07:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Dart
Second Lieutenant
 
Dart's Avatar
 
Re: Prosieben is listening to the European Community


Originally Posted by somers View Post
I suppose you are right then... but we should seriously wait before judging even based on past experiences with Smedley and SOE.
Well and here is the issue (and my final post of the night) there is nothing we can do, but wait. All of our complaining and moaning will do nothing, the idea that SOE actually want our feedback is also absurd, they just want us to feel like we matter (which we obviously don't) so we have two choices. Either a) wait and just accept whatever happens to the game we love, with the knowledge that we could possibly watch it get eviscerated by some media corporation who doesn't give a shit about PlanetSide and even less of one about us. Or b) wait until the time comes and then try like hell to get out from under this second-rate German TV channel doing their 'amateur-hour MMO publisher impersonation' and get onto one of the US servers with the rest of your clan.

As you might have guessed, I've already made my choice.
Dart is offline  
Old 2012-02-22, 07:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Death2All
Major
 
Death2All's Avatar
 
Misc Info
Re: Prosieben is listening to the European Community


Originally Posted by somers View Post
Yep, this game is screwed.
__________________

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Death2All is offline  
Old 2012-02-22, 09:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
HoovesMcG
Corporal
 
Re: Prosieben is listening to the European Community


I only played PS1 on a free trial (as I morally object to subscription fees). But when I did play I was taken under wing by a mostly BRIT outfit.

I was looking forward to PS2 as a new game to get away from EA's disgrace BF3. But all I see here is the SAME BS that EA pulled with BF3, not the splitting the community part, but the BS line of "Oh we are listening" and then they go and do EVERYTHING the community begged for them not to do. For no apperant reason other than a suit told the devs to.

These guys at SOE pretty much INSTANTLY lost any credibility with me and all of my friends that were planning on joining the PS2 community. Its an absolute disgrace that they are dumping their fan base for a quick buck, but in the end they will lose so much fucking money that FANNIE MAY will be like " ah man you guys fucked up, lol"

To bad Higby, you had at least 15 more players until this fucking joke.
Unfortunatly I'm positive SOE could give 2 shits about 15 players.
HoovesMcG is offline  
Old 2012-02-22, 10:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
somers
Corporal
 
somers's Avatar
 
Re: Prosieben is listening to the European Community


http://www.planetside-universe.com/f...834#post640834
I found an update on the PS2 twitter that linked to their facebook, showing that they ARE LISTENING! (maybe...)
__________________

"I'm not 100% sure. I'm Indarcisive."-Xyntech
somers is offline  
Old 2012-02-23, 03:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Traak
Colonel
 
Re: Prosieben is listening to the European Community


As a side note, I thought this might be of interest to you all:

From Wikipedia:

As of 2006, overseas satellite links accounted for only 1 percent of international traffic, while the remainder was carried by undersea cable. The reliability of submarine cables is high, especially when (as noted above), multiple paths are available in the event of a cable break. Also, the total carrying capacity of submarine cables is in the terabits per second while satellites typically offer only megabits per second and display higher latency.
__________________
Bagger 288
Traak is offline  
Old 2012-02-23, 07:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Sta
Private
 
Sta's Avatar
 
Re: Prosieben is listening to the European Community


Originally Posted by somers View Post
Ah ok, so basically most "F2P" games. Except Higby already stated all buy-able stuff will only be for aesthetics.
Im not an expert on this so pls forgive my incompetence but a game like ps2 with decent graphics coded to support hundreds of player in one area and as an fpsmmo which you rarely find somewhere else I wonder how it works to go f2p from the beginning? How to produce/ finance an online game strictly by an income of the player's needs for aesthetics??
Sta is offline  
Old 2012-02-23, 07:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Figment
Lieutenant General
 
Re: Prosieben is listening to the European Community


Originally Posted by Sta View Post
Im not an expert on this so pls forgive my incompetence but a game like ps2 with decent graphics coded to support hundreds of player in one area and as an fpsmmo which you rarely find somewhere else I wonder how it works to go f2p from the beginning? How to produce/ finance an online game strictly by an income of the player's needs for aesthetics??
By monetizing players need for faster gain of experience points, need for outfit creation, need for multiple characters, need for better chat options, etc.

Basically, by selling convenience, rather than power.
Figment is offline  
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Bookmarks

Tags
cooperation, europe, prosieben, smedley

Discord

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 AM.

Content © 2002-2013, PlanetSide-Universe.com, All rights reserved.
PlanetSide and the SOE logo are registered trademarks of Sony Online Entertainment Inc. © 2004 Sony Online Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved.
All other trademarks or tradenames are properties of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.