Anyone else worried about the Max? - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Retro edition.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-05, 10:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Hamma
PSU Admin

Re: Anyone else worried about the Max?

Not worried about the MAX at all, we saw a alpha client with much balancing still required.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-06-05, 10:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Stew
Major

i saw some MAX getting OWn by heavy and ligth assault so i think they are pretty easy to kill if they are not 3 or 4 in a corridor !

I just hope the headshot multiplier will work well especially with MAX so accurate people will take down MAX like flys with OFF spray !
Old 2012-06-05, 10:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Not worried about the MAX at all, we saw a alpha client with much balancing still required.
Isn't that what the discussion is for though? We point out the stuff that seemed a little bit 'eurgh' and tag it for balance. The whole 'it's alpha so its fine' thing doesn't compute for me, if it's alpha then balance issues should be tagged for reference in the beta.
Old 2012-06-05, 10:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
SKYeXile
Major General

Maxes dying, looked good to me.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-06-05, 11:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
Maxes dying, looked good to me.
Same here ! i tough they where going to be more OP at least ive seen 1 vs 1 MAx vs Assault and the assault wins Good enough yet but the BEtA will tell us more specifics

Iam pretty sure some whiners will claim MAX is OP and others will claim MAX is underpower and they die to fast etc..

always contradiction lol
Old 2012-06-06, 01:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Purple
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
The MAX is a newer edition to regular olaytesting and will get plenty of scrutiny before launch.
Does that mean maxes wont be able to drive lightnings? please say yes!
Old 2012-06-06, 01:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

MAX units are fine. As a MAX, I felt tough, I was able to take on any infantry and other MAX units pretty well. As an infantry going up against a MAX, I understood that grenades and headshots are my only chance of survival, and they work quite well.
Old 2012-06-06, 02:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
Dairian
Sergeant

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
To heck with that. It does not need to be the only unit in the game incapable of effecting self repairs. It was like that in PS1 as well, and was just as ridiculous.
Your saying it was ridiculous that your couldn't repair yourself in PS1 in a Max? I remember one of the few times I actually used a max unit. I switched to NC and got a Scatter Max and I had close to a 50/1 K/D in a tower fight. And I knew many others that could do the same. If you knew how to use the shield right and were a good shot. They were insane!

As of now that they have no turn speed decrease and can do a 360 in a blink of an eye like a trooper they will be unstoppable killers in the right hands. But I am sure they will fix everything in BETA.
Old 2012-06-06, 02:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
Bags
Lieutenant General

Why can the class that can get on roofs have the ammo pack? That's stupid.

Give it to the engineer or HA.
Old 2012-06-06, 04:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
TerminatorUK
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
To heck with that. It does not need to be the only unit in the game incapable of effecting self repairs. It was like that in PS1 as well, and was just as ridiculous.
I agree with this as well providing it is balanced (i.e. you haven't taken damage for 'x' amount of time before the regen kicks in).

Due to the faster pace of PS2, I think the "random passer-by" type of repairs from an engineer (especially as repairs are limited from a single player class now) if you are not in an organised squad / outfit will be very much reduced which would be unfair against the shield regen of all other classes.

One of the most annoying elements of being a MAX user in PS1 was the fear of getting your armour slowly eaten away over time and being at the mercy of those with a BANK around you to be able to fix you up - being effective whilst playing solo as a MAX was pretty difficult if you were away from your base without medical terminals available.

This would often lead to either reckless charges (where you didn't care about getting patched up) or cowardly tactics / hiding behind a corner to not get your armour damaged / become useless and have to spam V-N-R to get repairs (which generally wasn't fun for all involved).

Even at the expense of some durability, the ability to have a slow regen over time make operating a MAX a lot less frustrating overall.

The classic tradeoffs of now being able to capture anything, 5-minute timer or drive vehicles etc... coupled with new threats (e.g. sniper head shots), lower TTKs etc.. should ensure everything is kept balanced.
Old 2012-06-06, 04:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by 2coolforu View Post
MAX's seemed fine to me, the only time they ever dropped was when they were being engaged by multiple enemies and and another MAX. In all the battles they appeared very tough, I mean in the kill-cam a Fission missle did 25% damage to one, that's a hell of a lot of hitpoints.

If anything they seemed rather overpowered, as the game went along the number of MAX units went up and up. They can turn just as fast as normal infantry which I think should be changed, they run as fast as a sprinting normal troops and can drop out of sprint in about half a second.

Indoors they were tearing through normal troops, infact I don't really see any normal infantry having a use indoors if MAX's are as powerful as shown. They didn't really seem to have a countermeasure other than getting Lib'd outside or getting taken on by 4-5 normal infantry/other MAX's.

But it is alpha and all, I think they just have too much maneuverability, too much damage and too much health. They should either be tough and low damage or moderate damage and moderate HP. At the moment they seem to have the best weapons, the best health and don't really pay for it all that much in maneuverability.
I agree with all of this. I am not worried at all even though I didn't see 1 max use a special ability (which to be fair is understandable as the people we saw playing were walk-up to the booth types and not Devs who had playtested prior to this).
Old 2012-06-06, 04:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
Redshift
Major

it looked about right to me, a dual AI MAX at a sensible range was eating people, an AV MAX or a MAX in a bad position was getting picked apart.
Old 2012-06-06, 05:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
Coreldan
Colonel

Not really worried. Gotta remember a few things.

1) Capability for the dual loadout. I didnt see the stream, but a single scatter cannon seemed to kill lights pretty quick. Let alone two of them... That said, it seemed like you can't fire both weapons at the same time?

2) Everybody has MAX available from the second they log in in comparison to requiring a cert in PS1

3) Alpha

4) I still didnt see the stream, but in the footage I did see, MAX seemed even fairly durable everything considered.

I'm sad though that NC got once again pigeonholed into shotguns. So many games just implement them so badly and tbh Planetside 2 didn't seem much better in this case. Lets hope we at least get a viable HA in addition to yet another shotgun (Jackhammer, I suppose)

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube

Last edited by Coreldan; 2012-06-06 at 05:31 AM.
Old 2012-06-06, 11:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Anderz
Master Sergeant

Seen lots of footage from E3 of MAX units getting into tanks like the Vanguard.

That's not right, right? They're not meant to be able to do that?
Old 2012-06-06, 11:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
raidyr
Corporal

They keep saying they are "considering" not letting MAX suits use vehicles. I'm hoping that means "beyond beta" because it would be horrible to blow up a tank and just before it dies an AV max gets out and rails your tank.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion