replay, team work, and reputation - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: is marsman a new action hero?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2009-12-21, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
scape211
Private

replay, team work, and reputation

Ive seen a few boards that talk about Planetside Next, but honestly, this one seems to be the most constructive so props to all for being involved and providing helpful information and ideas. With that in mind, I wanted to talk about something I thought might be a good addition to the game to help for long term meta and team based gameplay.

In most other MMO games, a great way to do this is economy, crafting, etc. to create additional and personal goals. This is really not a good method for Planetside. PS just has too different a format for this to be possible and it can create a whole slew of problems/exploitation that the game really doesn’t need. However, what can be done to give players a goal to shoot for? One that will not only help to set them apart, but make them feel like after they have achieved full BR, they have something to go for.

I really think a system of reputation can make this happen. A controlled system created by SOE and the devs, but maintained by the players. Here are the main points im thinking for this idea:

• Reputation is a system that is gained through completing objectives given by your immediate commander and you outfit. As objectives are completed, players will gain reputation just like battle experience. This in turn can be used for various items and equipment to be used to enhance gameplay.

• Objectives that are given will be decided by the commanders and outfit leaders. It may be something simply like ‘take this tower’ or ‘take this base’ and the amount of experience gained will scale based on the level of difficulty and enemy resistance. Objectives can also be more difficult to create higher gains in reputation. An example might be ‘take this base, but all electrical elements (tubes, gen, terminals, etc.) must remain powered on when the base is captured.’ Objectives could also be more obscure or used to create rivals among outfits ‘ This enemy CR5 is there strongest player. Kill that player X number of times to complete the objective.’ This will create varying ‘missions’ players can choose from, but will always be given by commanders and outfits to keep it players based and (hopefully) keep players in check so they will work as a team instead if simply following the zerg.

• The reputation system will not affect Battle Rank; kills and base captures would still give normal experience for BR to allow players access to certain certifications. However, Reputation will allow players to dive further into the types of items that can choose from within certain certifications.

Overall, I think the idea of this is good, but will have to be refined and tested of course before we know how effective it is. One thing I thought might be a concern is that if the zerg is trying to take a base and simply wants to take it, they may take out the tubes and gen. However, a certain squad might have the objective of taking it without taking out the tubes and gen. I guess this is all the more reason for commanders to talk and verify who is doing what so that the entire faction works together. Again, it can emphasize teamwork, but might be rocky to get started. Ultimately, the effectiveness of this system will have an underlying dependence on SOE releasing new weapons/items as the game progresses that would require players to work together to gain reputation and access to these items.

Thoughts?
Old 2009-12-21, 07:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Sifer2
Major

Re: replay, team work, and reputation

I think the reason the forum is so constructive is because its not that populated yet. If the mass's where here it would be just as bad as any other forum haha.

But yeah I agree having long terms goals for your character beyond just the initial rank up process is good. An will help the game appeal to the MMO audience. As well as just make people want to fight even more.

As for a mission system I think it can work but might have to be an automated process rather than totally in the hands of players. I mean yeah getting rep for taking over the tower or whatever that your Squad Leader is telling you to take is obvious. But more specific objectives like killing a certain player would have to be an automated process to prevent exploitation.
Old 2009-12-22, 03:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

I suppose I ought to post my Command Overhaul with details of missions, commanders, and the like...

Good idea about having reputation for completing successful missions; perhaps have medals for them? Similar to the merits we currently have, but have medals for really important things?
Old 2009-12-22, 12:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
scape211
Private

Originally Posted by Sifer2 View Post
As for a mission system I think it can work but might have to be an automated process rather than totally in the hands of players. I mean yeah getting rep for taking over the tower or whatever that your Squad Leader is telling you to take is obvious. But more specific objectives like killing a certain player would have to be an automated process to prevent exploitation.
Agreed. Thats more along the lines as to what i meant by the devs being the overall creators of the mission/objective system. Commanders and outfit leaders would be have an option in the squad or outfit window labeled something simple like 'create objective.' That would open a new window with multiple check boxes they can use to create a specific mission. Im not sure how complex or simple the whole format could be, but i imagine it would need defined boundaries on what players could input.

I also agree that towers and bases are simple objectives and kind of a no brainer, but how many times have you been in a squad and the commander says to take a base and everyone just goes their own direction? I would hope this would help to unify players even in the obvious tasks.
Old 2009-12-22, 04:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

If you check out my Command Overhaul thread I detail how I envisage the system working, with commanders focusing the zerg by selecting planets and bases to be the focus of the army. Then platoon leaders select their target (say a specific base) and they ask their squad leaders to strike specific targets, say orange squad hitting the spawn tubes, yellow striking the CC and purple the base tower.

The squads would then get xp for completing them and once the mission was done the platoon leader would be notified and could pick them a new mission.

Actually picking the missions could be done through the existing map, the commander clicking on the base and selecting from drop down menus the target and the squad to complete it. The squad would then get a notification of the mission (and have it displayed on their HUD until complete or it expires) and a waypoint for the target.
Old 2009-12-22, 06:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
scape211
Private

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post
If you check out my Command Overhaul thread I detail how I envisage the system working, with commanders focusing the zerg by selecting planets and bases to be the focus of the army. Then platoon leaders select their target (say a specific base) and they ask their squad leaders to strike specific targets, say orange squad hitting the spawn tubes, yellow striking the CC and purple the base tower.

The squads would then get xp for completing them and once the mission was done the platoon leader would be notified and could pick them a new mission.

Actually picking the missions could be done through the existing map, the commander clicking on the base and selecting from drop down menus the target and the squad to complete it. The squad would then get a notification of the mission (and have it displayed on their HUD until complete or it expires) and a waypoint for the target.
i did take a quick look at the thread and skimmed over a lot of it (havent had time to read everything yet). I like the stronger and longer chain of command that it has to continue in a more realistic fashion as well as giving commanders something to shoot for as well instead of just being a CR5. I also dig the scout commander who can see what all scout vehicles and base turrets are doing.

I think i like the RTS elements the most though. Makes me think of Battlezone 1 & 2. That game had a great mix of RTS and FPS. However, i wonder how well PS would handle it. If they could mix it together well, it would be a really amazing thing and again put it above any other game ive seen.
Old 2009-12-23, 03:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

The way I see it is that you have the troops playing a team based shooter (or solo if they prefer), squad leaders playing a squad command game like Brothers in Arms or Republic Commando, Platoon leaders playing a small scale RTS like Company of Heroes or Dawn of War and then Company Leaders playing something like Supreme Commander, yet all in the same game.

Squad missions are essentially your objectives, with the squad leader issuing small scale tactics to achieve those objectives, such as destroying that tank, moving to that cover and suppressing those troops.
Old 2009-12-23, 10:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
scape211
Private

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post
The way I see it is that you have the troops playing a team based shooter (or solo if they prefer), squad leaders playing a squad command game like Brothers in Arms or Republic Commando, Platoon leaders playing a small scale RTS like Company of Heroes or Dawn of War and then Company Leaders playing something like Supreme Commander, yet all in the same game.

Squad missions are essentially your objectives, with the squad leader issuing small scale tactics to achieve those objectives, such as destroying that tank, moving to that cover and suppressing those troops.
Right. I like the blend of different styles. I think overall the concept would be really awesome. I worry about trying to make it all work together without lag or exploitation, but I'm sure it could be done. Its all a matter of how.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion