Any Shredder Liberator Pilots Here? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: lets roll out!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-07, 05:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Any Shredder Liberator Pilots Here?

I'm just curious, if there are, can you post footage of you flying? I can probably learn a thing or two from you. In return I'll post my footage, once it renders.

I'm not asking for anything special, just record a typical flying session and give me the specs of your Lib.

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
Okay, I updated the OP with the promised footage. It's rather lengthy and isn't exactly action-packed, but I recommend you to watch it, maybe you can pick something up out of it. It's especially valid for ESF and Liberator pilots.

The video is just my rather typical game day on Miller NC, recorded in 720p today. Indar is by far the most fun place to fly a Shredder Lib, but the lack of resource income takes its toll.

Since it's recorded via in-game feature, no TS here.

My current setup is:

Primary Weapon:
CAS30 Tank Buster (Hell, this thing needs a nerf...)
Mods:
Maximum Ammo Capacity Level 1
Zoom Optics Level 1

Secondary Weapon:
AP30 Shredder
Mods:
Maximum Ammo Capacity Level 2
Infrared Optics
Magazine Size Level 2

Tertiary Weapon:
M20 Drake
Mods:
Maximum Ammo Capacity Level 1
Zoom Optics Level 1

Utility:
Decoy Flares Level 2

Defense:
Composite Armor Level 3

Perfomance:
Precision Bomber Airframe Level 2

Passive Systems:
Acquisition Timer Level 6

PS: The footages will be interestin to watch for ESF pilots too, I think, getting an idea about Shredder Liberator counter-maneuvers...

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2013-01-07 at 07:59 PM.
Old 2013-01-07, 07:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Weirdo

Re: Any Shredder Liberator Pilots Here?

Just gonna say, the Zephyr is superior in every way. Shredder is pretty worthless.
Old 2013-01-07, 07:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
LoliLoveFart
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
Just gonna say, the Zephyr is superior in every way. Shredder is pretty worthless.
Not if you want to make ESFs rue the day they ever spawned one.

Old 2013-01-07, 07:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
The reason I play Shredder:

1. It's universal. Gives a fighting chance against aircraft and rips ground rather good. Not as good as the cannons, but still.
2. It's risky. And thus, more fun. You have to get close with it to get high reward, otherwise your gunner won't make much kills.
3. It's fair to Ground. Well, can't really call it fair, especially against infantry, but it does give them a better fighting chance.

In all fairness, most people just forget that the fun should come from playing, not farming. Of course it is fun for some to see his K/D rise with every shell fired, but to me - it's not entertaining at all.

I mean - compare it to the feeling of a successful raid on a Sunderer in a Shredder Liberator, taking damage, flying away, being nearly intercepted by an enemy ESF and defeating it to sticking to the zerg and bombing every spawnroom possible and you'll realise what is more fun.

Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2013-01-07, 07:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
SturmovikDrakon
First Sergeant

Here is my strategy with the Shredder to take out other Liberators

->Get Liberator
->Unload Zepher into enemy Liberator
->Crash into said Liberator

works flawlessly

i'll stop posting now

((in truth it's not that bad and extremely fun to use))

(((although this was exactly my strategy when we got warpgated on Waterson)))
Old 2013-01-07, 07:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by LoliLoveFart View Post
Not if you want to make ESFs rue the day they ever spawned one.
I gotta say, every so often I do run into a Lib where the pilot has the skill to flip and give the gunner the chance to shoot at me with the Shredder. Makes for some really interesting air combat.

It's a nice counter to the ESF move I use against fully crewed Libs (taking them from above so the guns can't get you).
Old 2013-01-07, 07:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Chewy
Major

I don't have much time in a shredder. Maybe 2 hours in total, and the main things I have against it are.

1- No 4th number for ammo counts
A stock shredder has 1,250 rounds. I can only see 250 max ammo until enough is used to get under 1,000. By then Iv told the pilot to bug the hell out for an ammo run. Ended up wasting time 3 ammo trips before seeing the that I had more than 250 total rounds first time using it. There's no way Im not the first to see this, and certainly not the only one to think that the shredder isn't worth the time with just 250 rounds visible.

2- Drains/bleeds ammo like nothing Iv seen.
Using a lot of ammo isn't that bad alone as the shredder can kick ass with good aim. But combined with #1s problem of not seeing the extra 1,000 rounds the game hides from you and the weapon becomes pure junk. 250 rounds are used FAST with a 50 round mag lasting just a few good bursts.

Within those 1-2 hours of shredder use I learned to like the weapon. May be a down right nasty weapon when certed up. But without knowing that it has 1,250 rounds instead of the 250 you see, I don't think anyone is willing to use it. In fact I DON'T see shredders anymore unless my outfit calls for a libby swarm and someone who hasn't had the time or cash for the big guns needs to replace a destroyed one.
Old 2013-01-07, 07:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
I don't have much time in a shredder. Maybe 2 hours in total, and the main things I have against it are.

1- No 4th number for ammo counts
A stock shredder has 1,250 rounds. I can only see 250 max ammo until enough is used to get under 1,000. By then Iv told the pilot to bug the hell out for an ammo run. Ended up wasting time 3 ammo trips before seeing the that I had more than 250 total rounds first time using it. There's no way Im not the first to see this, and certainly not the only one to think that the shredder isn't worth the time with just 250 rounds visible.

2- Drains/bleeds ammo like nothing Iv seen.
Using a lot of ammo isn't that bad alone as the shredder can kick ass with good aim. But combined with #1s problem of not seeing the extra 1,000 rounds the game hides from you and the weapon becomes pure junk. 250 rounds are used FAST with a 50 round mag lasting just a few good bursts.

Within those 1-2 hours of shredder use I learned to like the weapon. May be a down right nasty weapon when certed up. But without knowing that it has 1,250 rounds instead of the 250 you see, I don't think anyone is willing to use it. In fact I DON'T see shredders anymore unless my outfit calls for a libby swarm and someone who hasn't had the time or cash for the big guns needs to replace a destroyed one.
My basic briefing for all my outfit mates gunning includes these:

1. YOU HAVE MORE THAN 1000 AMMO, BUT YOU CAN ONLY SEE 3 DIGITS, BE AWARE.
2. Call out your targets, so I can change my angle accordingly.
3. Use Shredder to take down aircraft, I can give you nearly any angle.
4. If we're attacked by a Tank Buster, from a position I don't have a visual on, keep me informed on his Line of Sight.

Last edited by NewSith; 2013-01-07 at 07:30 PM.
Old 2013-01-07, 07:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Okay, I updated the OP with the promised footage. It's rather lengthy and isn't exactly action-packed, but I recommend you to watch it, maybe you can pick something up out of it. It's especially valid for ESF and Liberator pilots.

The video is just my rather typical game day on Miller NC, recorded in 720p today. Indar is by far the most fun place to fly a Shredder Lib, but the lack of resource income takes its toll.

Last edited by NewSith; 2013-01-07 at 07:59 PM.
Old 2013-01-07, 07:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Rothnang
Major

The Shredder is by far the best Air to Air weapon the Liberator can field. If you're in an area unopposed its also perfectly viable as a tank killer, though you have to fly a little lower than with the other guns.

The Zephyr is the only Liberator weapon that is somewhat overpowered right now, because it just deals too much damage to vehicles considering how strong it is against infantry.

The Liberator gets called overpowered a lot, but honestly, it's still a vehicle with a ton of crippling weak spots. The back gun is still damn near worthless, and the best anti-air option you can put on your tail is the Bulldog of all things. The devs just hate the Walker.
Old 2013-01-07, 08:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Chewy
Major

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post

In game recording. Man those are hard on the eyes to watch. Nice moves, but I can't finish the video with what video capture PS2 gives ya. It's max is half of what FRAPS does. Less of a hit to FPS, but half quality really shows.
Old 2013-01-07, 08:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
In game recording. Man those are hard on the eyes to watch. Nice moves, but I can't finish the video with what video capture PS2 gives ya. It's max is half of what FRAPS does. Less of a hit to FPS, but half quality really shows.
There is an option to set the recording quality to "high", I have it on. It's just that I rendered the thing as WMV, not AVI and thus it may strain your eyes. Set the window size to "Large player" in the youtube frame tray and set it to 720. It should be better that way.

EDIT: Also nighttime ends at ~13:30

Last edited by NewSith; 2013-01-07 at 08:19 PM.
Old 2013-01-07, 08:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
AThreatToYou
Major

Here's a few things I know about libs that aren't common knowledge:

The Afterburner equipment, for some reason, increases your acceleration as well as provides an afterburner useful for dodging tank shells and basically everything (enemy galaxies esp.). I find it more useful than flares, because some pilots are so dumb they don't realize their primary weapon does higher DPS to a lib than a A2A rocket does. Afterburner lasts for about .33s and operates differently from ESF afterburners; it doesn't vector your thrust dependent on your current speed, altitude, or angle. It always goes straight forward.

The Racer chassis also increases your acceleration and top speed by 13 KPH per rank (i think).

The grenade launcher is a superior tailgun, even for fighting off ESF. You can ask my tailgunner.

On Shredder especially, you're probably going to want the afterburners more than flares because it'll take more than ducking one rocket for your gunner to do something. Plus the acceleration boost is.. basically priceless.

Last edited by AThreatToYou; 2013-01-07 at 08:36 PM.
Old 2013-02-05, 11:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
rak
Private

Precision Bomber 3 w/Afterburners

Afterburners are very useful for dodging incoming fire.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion