2 Steps Forward; 1 step back - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: This one time, I was with some guys, on a boat...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-02-04, 10:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Wahooo
Captain

2 Steps Forward; 1 step back

Overall I think this patch has improved the fun in the game a bunch. People are fighting. People are trying to defend. A small organized group can take an AMP station from a larger disorganized group, but zerg v. zerg the AMP station is defensible.
I logged on and skipped around all three empires some and things are better. Three different servers for several hours off peak I was able to find a good fight that wasn't just the crown. Generally good 2 empire fights, I wasn't sure this would happen ever. I'm amazed really that the base design tweaks alone seem to have helped the pace of the battle to really slow the speed the front line moves across the map to a nice point. Not too slow but not the endless ghost capping caravan either. Really a move in the right direction and I see a bigger impact than I was expecting. The increase in the terminal locations is great, I'm not a huge fan of the implementation of the tunnels but they are a big step in the right direction.

The step back? Bugs. I can't say much about the performance issues a lot of folks are talking about, I already play on a laptop with a graphics card that is below recommended specs so dipping below 10 fps isn't new to me.
HOWEVER: weapons suddenly stop doing damage? I thought I was just getting tired and bad... went on a horrendous getting my ass kicked streak until I was point blank with a guy and we exchanged rounds when I died I see he took no damage. I wonder how long that went on? I don't see all of the weapons available for purchase on all my accounts. Flash doesn't even appear. I can't re-fill my med-apps. The new color scheme thing is horrendous. I liked IFF red enemy, blue friendly, green squad. I liked map icons and terminals and capture points empire colors. Can I get that back?

Introducing new problems that seem unrelated to the fixes has always seemed weird to me.. but at least my jet pack doesn't crap out anymore.
Old 2013-02-04, 10:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
J Baley
Contributor
Staff Sergeant

Re: 2 Steps Forward; 1 step back

I am perfectly fine with 2 steps forward, one step back. We are still gaining ground. I may be optimistic but it feels good to me
Old 2013-02-04, 10:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
typhaon
Sergeant Major

They need to shake out the performance issues. It's very frustrating. Once that is done, I agree - I think it was a very good patch.
Old 2013-02-04, 11:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Kail
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Wahooo View Post
The step back? Bugs. I can't say much about the performance issues a lot of folks are talking about, I already play on a laptop with a graphics card that is below recommended specs so dipping below 10 fps isn't new to me.
HOWEVER: weapons suddenly stop doing damage? I thought I was just getting tired and bad... went on a horrendous getting my ass kicked streak until I was point blank with a guy and we exchanged rounds when I died I see he took no damage. I wonder how long that went on? I don't see all of the weapons available for purchase on all my accounts. Flash doesn't even appear. I can't re-fill my med-apps. The new color scheme thing is horrendous. I liked IFF red enemy, blue friendly, green squad. I liked map icons and terminals and capture points empire colors. Can I get that back?
You can switch coloring scheme between Empire | Friend/Foe | Custom, where you can pick the color of each empire. There isn't any customization past that yet, but I swapped back to faction coloring (although I'm gonna have to adjust NC a little darker I think). I'd love to see an option for coloring map icons by empire, but using the Friend/Foe color scheme for units.

I haven't had a bug with weapons not doing damage, but there have been a few times where I've shot someone and died and the kill screen shown them taking 0 damage; but when they died a second later to a friendly finishing them off, I just wrote it off as a UI display issue.

The only issue I've had with restocking is with C4, and that's being stuck at only able to fill to 39/40; but I had that pre-patch.
Old 2013-02-04, 11:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Wahooo
Captain

If your c4 is at 39 that might mean you had one sitting out there somewhere. Right now that is the only way I've been able to tell if my mines are still deployed, if they are at 38 and don't let me re-stock it means they are still out there waiting.

The IFF lets you change a bit, but it is across the board. I really got used to the differences between units and capture points and terminals. I'd like to be able to customize them all separately.

The weapons not working i've seen 3 times and re-logging seems the only thing to fix it. Last night for I'm guessing a good long time on TR. There looks like a separate issue where the under-barrel weapons are not doing damage. This seems to come and go but when the weapons stop, it looks like it is for the character, vehicles, guns and deployables. Looking back it was a while that this was happening I had several c4's not do any damage.
Old 2013-02-05, 01:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

Originally Posted by J Baley View Post
I am perfectly fine with 2 steps forward, one step back. We are still gaining ground. I may be optimistic but it feels good to me
Agreed. This was a fairly good patch concerning the overall direction imo. Now we just need to nag some so-called "metagame" into PS2.
Old 2013-02-05, 03:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Stellarthief
Corporal

Except for the stuttering problem the patch was rather good to me. Waiting out that problem as the game is unplayable for me with it.

But it's a normal thing when you make such big patches to break things you intended to fix or break things you didn't even mean to touch. Been happening as far back as I can remember with games and patching.

At least the game is moving... 2 forward, 1 back better than none anywhere.
Old 2013-02-05, 03:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Kail View Post
The only issue I've had with restocking is with C4, and that's being stuck at only able to fill to 39/40; but I had that pre-patch.
Originally Posted by Wahooo
If your c4 is at 39 that might mean you had one sitting out there somewhere. Right now that is the only way I've been able to tell if my mines are still deployed, if they are at 38 and don't let me re-stock it means they are still out there waiting.
Usually when I get that, it's because I haven't resupplied my grenades/C4/mines first before attempting to buy new ones (ie. my current carried amount is 0). Try resupplying what you're carrying first and then buying new ones and see if that works.
Old 2013-02-05, 04:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
ringring
Contributor
General

Quite apart from the nature of the changes this has been a horrible patch.

Two steps forward and one back is not good enough. This 'release' has been badly done. It's a good job SOE is not a professional software firm and have to do this sort of stuff for a living.
Old 2013-02-05, 05:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Assist
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by typhaon View Post
They need to shake out the performance issues. It's very frustrating. Once that is done, I agree - I think it was a very good patch.
Agreed. I fought yesterday at Highlands Solar for a good 1.5 hours without a crash. I get to Leopardwood and crash 3x in 20 minutes, then head to Rashnu area and crashing every 10 minutes there. Sooo frustrating.
Old 2013-02-05, 06:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
psijaka
Contributor
Major

2 steps forward, one step back with the bugs, yes. But they'll sort out the bugs soon enough, I'm sure, and then we'll just have the 2 steps forward. Great progress this patch.

Now for the bugs - I've experienced some strange stutter from time to time, especially frustrating when driving a Flash.

I also came across a really strange bug when I tried blowing an enemy sunderer by planting C4 on the roof - I died as soon as I landed on the roof. Puzzled, I tried it again a few more times - every time I landed on the roof I died! Or am I the victim of a hacking cheat - really not sure (I have Fraps footage but I'm not going to call someone out).
Old 2013-02-05, 06:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Stellarthief
Corporal

Originally Posted by psijaka View Post
2 steps forward, one step back with the bugs, yes. But they'll sort out the bugs soon enough, I'm sure, and then we'll just have the 2 steps forward. Great progress this patch.

Now for the bugs - I've experienced some strange stutter from time to time, especially frustrating when driving a Flash.

I also came across a really strange bug when I tried blowing an enemy sunderer by planting C4 on the roof - I died as soon as I landed on the roof. Puzzled, I tried it again a few more times - every time I landed on the roof I died! Or am I the victim of a hacking cheat - really not sure (I have Fraps footage but I'm not going to call someone out).
Not cheating - you apparently die now if you try and land on a vehicle roof (any). The few times I did it to my own side I also died, so I stopped trying on my side too (coulda been a bug when I did it on friendly side?).
Old 2013-02-05, 06:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

Yeah, that's happened a lot to me too. I feel bad for the times i've done it on friendly vehicles, because they get grief points for it. But it's especially annoying for C4-wielding LAs since we can't get on top of vehicles. I think you also take damage if you hit the sides of the vehicles at speed (I jetpacked into the side of a friendly Sundie once and took damage, and I was only going slow).
Old 2013-02-05, 06:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
psijaka
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Stellarthief View Post
Not cheating - you apparently die now if you try and land on a vehicle roof (any). The few times I did it to my own side I also died, so I stopped trying on my side too (coulda been a bug when I did it on friendly side?).
Thanks for that; glad I didn't make a fool of myself by calling the guy out!
Old 2013-02-05, 07:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by psijaka View Post
Thanks for that; glad I didn't make a fool of myself by calling the guy out!
unless it is stupidly obvious, the person isn't cheating. if it is its only cheating about 1/2 the time.

Bases are easier to defend it seems( have been busy with college so i haven't had the chance to test it out myself) and I'm happy about that
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion