How a cash store can be more than just a store - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: May require internet
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-18, 04:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Purple
Sergeant Major

Re: How a cash store can be more than just a store

ok here is a suitable argument. i do not want any sort of "player currency" unless its the SOE bucks. i think people will agree with this the game is not about building empires or unlocking rare items. its about killing people and blowing things up. im sure the devs of planetside 2 feel this way also.
Old 2012-03-18, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by Lokster View Post
Why you turned this thread into an aimbot thread I will never know. That's all fantastically interesting and whatnot, but just because people will cheat, doesn't mean we should also open the door to rare loot farmers only playing the game to turn a profit .. which is more on point with what this thread is about.
You're absolutely right. Just wanted to fully justify my point about botting. If farmers are able to bot, the game will be destroyed by aimbots, regardless of farmers.

Originally Posted by Purple View Post
ok here is a suitable argument. i do not want any sort of "player currency" unless its the SOE bucks. i think people will agree with this the game is not about building empires or unlocking rare items. its about killing people and blowing things up. im sure the devs of planetside 2 feel this way also.
Your argument goes against what they plan on putting in the game though, visual upgrades are going in the game, undoubtedly many of those upgrades will constantly change, there'll be some set and standard upgrades, there'll also be plenty of constant "limited time" upgrades, special event upgrades, special event unlocks, special limited items that will become rare and unique purely because they could only be gotten during a certain period, or earned from winning/participating in certain special events, or winning outfit wars, and so on and so forth. They already plan on including rare items.

Having a drop system and trade system is just an extension of what they already plan to include. No?

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-18, 04:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Purple
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
You're absolutely right. Just wanted to fully justify my point about botting. If farmers are able to bot, the game will be destroyed by aimbots, regardless of farmers.

Your argument goes against what they plan on putting in the game though, visual upgrades are going in the game, undoubtedly many of those upgrades will constantly change, there'll be some set and standard upgrades, there'll also be plenty of constant "limited time" upgrades, special event upgrades, special event unlocks, special limited items that will become rare and unique purely because they could only be gotten during a certain period, or earned from winning/participating in certain special events, or winning outfit wars, and so on and so forth. They already plan on including rare items.

Having a drop system and trade system is just an extension of what they already plan to include. No?
right im fine with events that give skins but drops would just make the game bad. we mine as well add NPC and just make it an RPG. i understand what you want but its not right for this game.
Old 2012-03-18, 04:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Allow me to start by differentiating between opinion, and concern. I have a concern, but not an opinion on this idea, yet.

My concern is that resourses need to be spent on this in order to prevent the serious degredation of immersion for this game. Since, TRay mentioned in one of his interviews that players are the content... any motivated effort by farmers in this game, will be particularly impactful.

People at work, and this includes the dev team, will eventually start taking the path of least resistance, and become a bit more complacent as time passes, and where does that leave us vs motivated farmers?

As far as the trades, and the cosmetic stuff... well personally I think almost anything in a game can be done well. But it is often not, given pressure from the suits. To keep the game fresh, and the money flowing... my concern is giving the suits with no concern for immersion of the players... one more avenue to "fuckitup"...

Did you ever have a story, then hear the story after 10 people told it, once it came back to you, and you barely recognized it? This is my concern... that first "hat" that is a little different from the others... that little bit of artistic brevety that a lot of casual players thought was cool to annoy people with, that was also misinterpreted as a high seller... and a suit, with no sense or care for us, demading "moreathisshitNAU!"... Then a little more brevity, then a little more... then a little more...

Like I say, anything can be done well, but at what cost vs risk? Not necessarily now, and not necessarily money... Sometimes personalizing your car too much... makes it hard to sell...

Last edited by Grognard; 2012-03-18 at 04:59 PM.
Old 2012-03-18, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by Purple View Post
but drops would just make the game bad (...) but its not right for this game.
But why. That is the issue here. I've defined a tonne of positives and I've discussed the various issues, and admitted that scam sites popping up are something uncontrollable.

Define why. It's not useful to just say "it's bad because it's not right", that's not a reason and is similar to others who made the point I repurposed into "it's wrong because it's wrong".

Don't get me wrong, I want a great game as much as anybody else, and I'm all for positives and all against negatives, just as anybody else.

Nobody should take anything I say on these forums as a personal sleight, or get emotionally angry at my debating with them as Basti did with his accusation of trolling. I just like to be thorough and get a proper picture that delves into things properly.

At least thus far it's stopped this thread from becoming what the prowler thread became.

EDIT: Missed your comment Grognard, must have posted it while I wrote this. I'll edit in here shortly.

Originally Posted by Grognard
As far as the trades, and the cosmetic stuff... well personally I think almost anything in a game can be done well. But it is often not, given pressure from the suits. To keep the game fresh, and the money flowing... my concern is giving the suits with no concern for immersion of the players... one more avenue to "fuckitup"...

Did you ever have a story, then hear the story after 10 people told it, once it came back to you, and you barely recognized it? This is my concern... that first "hat" that is a little different from the others... that little bit of artistic brevety that a lot of casual players thought was cool to annoy people with, that was also misinterpreted as a high seller... and a suit, with no sense or care for us, demading "moreathisshitNAU!"... Then a little more brevity, then a little more... then a little more...
You bring up a good issue, one that I think is truly worth a thread in and of itself. This is something I've been considering the last few days. It's an issue we have with the game with or without my suggestions, the fact that there's a shop with visual upgrades leaves the game open to this possible outcome. Something that would be absolutely awful.

You should definitely make this a thread itself to discuss, at the very least it will serve as archiving to point to months/years down the line if the game looks like it's going to head that way. It will serve as something the community can point to as a concern everyone had before the game even released, something that will be quite powerful in stopping it from happening, at least a little evidence for those within the company that do care to offer as argument against those that do not.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com

Last edited by Skitrel; 2012-03-18 at 05:06 PM.
Old 2012-03-18, 05:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
megamold
Second Lieutenant

i think its a viable idea, maybe not in the exact way that TF2 does it but it can be adapted to work for ps2 with some effort.

but i would only start experimenting with this once a strong "regular" store is already in place
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion