Empire Resources should unlock new weapons,vehicles,etc - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I love the smell of plasma grenades in the morning.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-20, 06:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Mightymouser
Master Sergeant

Re: Empire Resources should unlock new weapons,vehicles,etc

If the updates are purely cosmetic, I don't really care one way or the other about this being implemented; except that I doubt many people would care one way or the other about 'winning' the event either...
Old 2012-03-20, 07:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Dreamcast
Major

Originally Posted by Mightymouser View Post
This sounds very similar (in fact almost the same as) the "Run-for-the-Guns" event SOE tried in PS1 for the 5 (?) year anniversary. For those that have no idea what the event was; SOE removed access to all vehicles, and each empire had to "unlock" them by spending time "researching the secrets of the Ancient Vanu" (i.e., fighting in the caves). Basically, as you won cave battles, you gained points, and each vehicle required a certain number of points to unlock. Sounds pretty similar, no?

The problem is two fold; first no one really liked fighting in the caves (not a problem with your suggestion so we'll skip it). Second, it means that you are essentially giving perks to the Empire that has already proven to be better than the others (for whatever reason). This is making the better empire, even better, and that makes game play even more lopsided. Guess what happens next? The losing empires log off and go and start riots on the Official Forums. (Meaning their in game representation is even lower, giving the already strongest empire, that much more of an edge).

The idea that everyone will keep fighting to try to "come back from behind" sounds cool and all; as does 'rewarding the better empire', but in reality, when people feel they're fighting an unbalanced game, they log off and whine on the forums...
I don't think I played that event...The event sounds pretty crazy tho, taking of all vehicles lol.

In the idea of events it would only give an empire of maximum of a week or less in having a new weapon or vehicles....Lets say your right and a Faction is dominating because they are simply better with strategy....SOE can down right make it possible for the other 2 factions to have a safety net of a week or less....SOE can design it so the empires unlock it faster thru some way...

I really don't think the game will be broken if a team unlocks something for like a couple of days...Their might be people crying tho like always.

I think people would care about winning...It will just add new depth to the game...It would make patches much more exciting.
Old 2012-03-20, 07:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Atheosim
Captain

If the updates are purely cosmetic, I don't really care one way or the other about this being implemented; except that I doubt many people would care one way or the other about 'winning' the event either...
With that train of logic, the cash shop is going to be a complete flop too, right?
Old 2012-03-20, 08:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Mightymouser
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Atheosim View Post
With that train of logic, the cash shop is going to be a complete flop too, right?
There will be some few people who will spend gobs of money getting cosmetic upgrades; then there will be the majority of players who get 1-2 selective ones for guns/vehicles they use regularly (spending <<$20); then there will be some who don't buy anything at all... No matter what it's a win for SOE, since the first group more than pays for their small one-time expense of designing the cosmetics.

As for this specific event, where we're talking about a variant that a player may or may not have any interest in using; and which has no effect on their actual game play; I stand by my original position: I would think most players wouldn't really care about 'winning' this prize, anymore than they would care about 'winning' the daily land scores that used to exist in PS1...

On the other hand, if they are not purely cosmetic upgrades, and they affect game play in any way; you're going to have a lot of very upset players on the losing empires, for however long they feel they are at a disadvantage. You can call it 'rewarding the better empire', but since no one player, or outfit, really controls their empire; everyone on the losing empires is going to feel like they're getting shafted for something they couldn't really control (Which is a complaint we saw quite often in run for the guns, e.g., "Why should my TR outfit be unable to pull mossies, just because we happen to be on an empire that doesn't care about this event?! How are we supposed to win on our own?!")

I'm not trying to be overly-negative, I'm just pointing out what we've seen before...

Last edited by Mightymouser; 2012-03-20 at 08:15 PM.
Old 2012-03-20, 08:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Atheosim
Captain

I think people who take pride in their empire (like many of us) will be more than happy to utilize their winnings, if only to shove their victory in the face of their hapless opponents. Then there are others who use it because it looks cool, or sounds cool, or they like it better than this or that.
Old 2012-04-07, 08:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Dreamcast
Major

If it's a new weapon...People will care.
Old 2012-06-12, 07:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Dreamcast
Major

Since everybody is talking about winning, this a good winning idea IMO
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-12, 07:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

When they have a release event for a new vehicle/weapon, sure. But gotta be careful that it isn't a vehicle/weapon that will make the other empires significantly disadvantaged until they obtain it.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion