A video that can help the PS2 developers on getting the feel of the guns right! - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Protecting kitties world wide!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-03-14, 12:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Re: A video that can help the PS2 developers on getting the feel of the guns right!

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
I think this might be a really useful thread for the devs. We are giving good concrete examples with videos on what we feel works and what doesn't work. It should be fairly easy for them to catch the drift on what makes the shooting feel good if they compare a video of another game and then PS2 with each other.
Agreed. And since the devs are so willing to take feedback I feel like I can contribute to making Planetside 2 a great game!

Threads like these make me happier than a cloaker in the enemy sniping line.
Old 2012-03-14, 12:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Re: A video that can help the PS2 developers on getting the feel of the guns right!

Another thing to note about BF series is how the camera does a slight tilt during reloads. Those little nuances that force the camera slightly off center/axis adds a feeling of depth & realism to the game for me. IMO I like the BF3 gun feeling the best.
Old 2012-03-14, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by Eyeklops View Post
Another thing to note about BF series is how the camera does a slight tilt during reloads. Those little nuances that force the camera slightly off center/axis adds a feeling of depth & realism to the game for me. IMO I like the BF3 gun feeling the best.
Hmh, I had to dig up a BF3 gameplay video cos I couldnt remember such "feature", and I can't really see it in the video either. But you can still be right and me just blind lol

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-03-14, 12:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

#1 Keep Crapy-Shit the hell away from PlanetSide 1, 2, and everything after.

#2 Motion sickness. All bob, weaving, jerking, blur, etc. while its fine to have it in a game it NEEDS the option to be turned off. Having your screen bounce while while shooting will be a disadvantage, but if you want to play at a disadvantage for the sake of having your screen shake power to you, as long as its not forced onto players that can't stand such things.

Edit: Renamed it Crapy-Shit because it made more sense.

Last edited by Forsaken One; 2012-03-14 at 01:19 PM.
Old 2012-03-14, 01:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Forsaken One View Post
#1 Keep Counter-Shit the hell away from PlanetSide 1, 2, and everything after.
For any good reason? Why not implement something from CS if it's something done right?

You remind me of the people who scream about things being taken from CoD, even when it's something worth taking.
Old 2012-03-14, 01:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
Hmh, I had to dig up a BF3 gameplay video cos I couldnt remember such "feature", and I can't really see it in the video either. But you can still be right and me just blind lol
I saw the re-load tilt in the BC2 vid above. They did remove it for BF3, but they still have some other cool camera motion effects for reload, notice the camera jerk to the right when the clip is slapped in.
I was watching another BF3 vid and noticed a very, very slight camera tilt when running. The bottom line is that if the camera always stays flat to the world, never shakes, never bobs, it feels bland to me, like something is missing.
Old 2012-03-14, 02:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
bigcracker
Sergeant Major

Here is a rl ops guys shooting

The only thing that is moving is the gun.Soldiers now how to stand and control the weapon they are using.So if you wanna make the game more satisfying leave it in the gun now a screen shake.
Old 2012-03-14, 03:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by bigcracker View Post
Here is a rl ops guys shooting

Magpul Dynamics : Quick Reference Drills - YouTube

The only thing that is moving is the gun.Soldiers now how to stand and control the weapon they are using.So if you wanna make the game more satisfying leave it in the gun now a screen shake.
I can clearly see the guys head shake a small bit on every round fired. Even with the pistol, you can see his arms jolting.

So if you wanna make the game more satisfying leave it in the gun now a screen shake.
What the hell you trying to say here? Refer to the last line in my signature.

Last edited by Eyeklops; 2012-03-14 at 03:24 PM.
Old 2012-03-14, 03:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

good shit
This.

I honestly don't understand half this forum. BF3 suppression and overall the idea of Shellshock is real. Your body can't naturally counteract it which is why it should be in a game. Yet some speak out against it.

Recoil, screen shake, motion blur. All of this as a whole is bullshit. Its stuff that your body learns to counteract with little input from you. You're a god damn soldier in the game not some farmer who's just been tossed a gun. it feels unnatural as shit when games try to simulate it, and a reason why it can even cause some to have motion sickness.

(I do wish to note ok, if you're firing a shotgun/lmg/sniper you may never fully get used to the kick, but there is now a days counterbalances to even newer full auto jackhammers/streetsweepers that make them have low recoil. )

Last edited by Forsaken One; 2012-03-14 at 03:28 PM.
Old 2012-03-14, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Cosmical
Contributor
Cosmic Comics

I find that all these attempts to glorify limited actions tend to hide the action rather than enhance it.

Best example is Jackie Chan. You get a hollywood director who thinks that every frame of film needs to be fraught with perill, so they over edit it, add camera shake and give it the works, and your lucky if you come out the otherside knowing who landed a punch. In japanese cinema, they lock off the camera, and film it in one shot, and you see everything in its full glory.

Obviously scaled down for gaming.

Good videos though, really insightful. Appart from that Wisen guy who just basically said "IT DOESNT FEEL RIGHT!!"
Old 2012-03-14, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Khellendros
Staff Sergeant

I really hate screen shake because most games implement it quite badly.

It is possible to use screen shake to good effect provided it is subtle. Notice in the CS1.6 clip, that quarter-second dip and recovery just after the first shot. That is good design imo, it's not big or long enough to give a headache but it simulates the gun kicking into your shoulder. Now, the rest of the recoil after that moment is just silly. BF3 I think is not bad either, it's recoil isn't as sharp as in most games, it's more of a swaying motion, which I find much more preferable.
Old 2012-03-14, 07:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
bigcracker
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Eyeklops View Post
I can clearly see the guys head shake a small bit on every round fired. Even with the pistol, you can see his arms jolting.

What the hell you trying to say here? Refer to the last line in my signature.
Ya that is trying to post after a 24 Hour shift my bad lol(i went full retard),Yes the head is moving but the eyes remain on target,Most of the recoil is on the shoulder and doesn't or may sometimes ( Really depending on the caliber)move the head slightly,but again as I said the eyes remain still on target.Right now planetside 2 with just the rifle moving up and back is as realistic a game can get with recoil if your looking for anything for satisfying i would try something like this http://www.firebox.com/product/2075/3rd-Space-FPS-Vest

Last edited by bigcracker; 2012-03-14 at 07:07 PM.
Old 2012-03-14, 08:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Here is a video from a shooters perspective and the recoil it causes. Obviously this would be too much recoil to have in game, and there is no way to judge how the shooter is positioned, but it does go to show how the developers can make a more solid method of gunplay.
Old 2012-03-14, 09:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Lord Cosine
Corporal

Your eyes maintain focus on a single point no matter what your head does, this is the main reason why I think the recoil effect that a lot of modern shooters use is retarded.

Sure the head cam is bouncing when you fire a weapon but the point that your eyes are looking at (the reticle) does not bounce at all.

Last edited by Lord Cosine; 2012-03-14 at 09:21 PM.
Old 2012-03-14, 11:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by DeeTwoEh View Post
The BFRs walking next to you and having your screen violently shake right as you're trying to line up a shot was one of the most irritating things I experienced in PS1.
I fucking loved that! Like Jurassic Park!!! Best thing about BFR's!

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion