[Feedback] Specific Weapon Changes - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Overusing emoteicons since 2003.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-04, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
OctavianAXFive
Staff Sergeant

[Feedback] Specific Weapon Changes

During the AGN Steam Higby asked if there were any comments about the weapon changes in GU08.

I figured I would start a thread where people can post comments on various guns they've found have changed for better or worse.

As for my own feedback on the matter.

The Cycler TRV.

I think the TRV is a little too niche now. It is a dominant laning weapon but you have to be standing still. Additionally it has atrocious hipfire for such a CQC oriented weapon and it doesn't really have good pre-fire capacity nor is it good in open spaces where you might have to move and shoot a little bit.

Granted moving and shooting in this game isn't optimal unless you're hipfiring (as it should be). But right now the TRV has only one thing that it's only slightly better at than the TAR and that's laning from a defensive position between 10-20 meters.

I believe the TRV could use a velocity increase up to 570-80 and a lower ADS spread penalty while moving (but only a little). You could also crank up the RPMs even more to make it really shine in the one aspect it apparently was designed to be great at.

The TAR could get improved recoil by reducing the left pull slightly. This would help solidify itself as the more mobile variant to the TRV, which is I think what you're already aiming for but it's not quite right.

I think the NC and VS equivalent tier AR's don't need too much tweaking to keep up with these changes to the TR guns. The VS H-V45 could use an identical left pull reduction to the TAR. The NC GR-22 is quite the little machine and probably doesn't need any additional love. I used that weapon on the test server during a major test and it's a hell of a gun.

This would put the TRV kind of in a league of its own.

From there the TAR, GR, and V45 would be mobile high RPM CQC guns. With the changes to the TAR and V45 I would put them in close second in the category to the Gr-22.

Additionally:

I like the changes to my other primary weapons, the LC2 Lynx and MSW-R whether direct or indirect (I use the foregrip).

If I want to hipfire to victory I use the Armistice, otherwise the benefits of the the grip at all ranges are more beneficial for its cost in certs than a laser sight. Though that's not to say laser sights aren't good, they just only help in one niche range as opposed to general improvements at all ranges.

TL;DR

The Cycler TRV needs to be differentiated more from the TAR.
Old 2013-05-04, 07:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: [Feedback] Specific Weapon Changes

I haven't noticed enough of a difference to change up my playstyle. The notable exception being the AMR-66 seems a bit more badass, which is always a plus.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-05-04, 08:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
DarkBalths
Corporal

NS-11C is still terrible. The bullets are too slow to use reliably at range, and the RoF is too low for CQC. I literally only use it because it looks cool, and I can use it on my NC and VS alts.
Old 2013-05-06, 02:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
QFAN
Private

The projectile speed of NC Max's Falcon feels even slower than throwing grenade.

Yet, it has a trajectory that is so flat that almost feels like a sniper rifle's ultra-long-range shot, but unlike a sniper rifle, Falcon's projectile makes terrible smoke that blocks the shooter's vision.

Now the Falcon is not fun to use at all.

I would suggest either

1. Remove the smoke, or at least reduce it, OR
2. Make the trajectory more curved, so the slow speed doesn't feel anti-physics, OR
3. Increase the projectile speed a bit, and somehow balance the increased hit/kill rate.
Old 2013-05-06, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Going from TR-only, to a Multi-Empire hoe ..... I sure enjoy dual RAVENS on my NC Max. I feel like I'm tossing tank mines 1000 meters....

Last edited by Chaff; 2013-05-06 at 03:34 PM.
Old 2013-05-06, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Republic
Private

Overall I like the new weapon changes, however there are a few grips I have with some of the changes.

The Serpent's buff to reload makes it now the clearly better weapon than the VX6-7. Sure the VX still has better nominal reload speed but the RoF per reload time favors the Serpent. There needs to be a reason for people to buy the VX6-7 over the Serpent.

One minor annoyance I have with the patch is that it would also be great if the text for Forward Grips was changed to say it will make equip times longer. Currently it doesn't say anything about equip times.

Similar to Octavian, I would like to see the TAR, H-V45, and GD-22 become a second tier of RPM ARs. I personally feel the TRV's RPM level should be exclusive to the TR. Having the NC equal or even surpass (GD-7F/Lynx) the TR in RPM seems unfair. Mind you the NC have weapons that fulfill their theme of low RoF/High Dam that no other empire can match. AC-X11, Gauss SAW, and Reaper DMR don't have equals for TR and VS. Sidegrades were always said to allow to be *like* another Empire but not *as good or better* the other Empire's theme.
Old 2013-05-06, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Snydenthur
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by DarkBalths View Post
NS-11C is still terrible. The bullets are too slow to use reliably at range, and the RoF is too low for CQC. I literally only use it because it looks cool, and I can use it on my NC and VS alts.
If something, it just needs to be a bit more accurate. First shot recoil modifier especially is too high, since it's supposed to be medium range carbine. Lowering that from 3 -> 2,5 or something would make it good enough. And changing those reflex sights to be better. At the moment you'll have to use hsnv because of this. That or making the random deviation a bit smaller while ads standing and ads moving.
Old 2013-05-06, 04:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
KesTro
Second Lieutenant

Can't say much on infantry weapons but those new MAX AV weapons are nerf bait.
Old 2013-05-06, 08:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Naelyan
Private

As far as i'm concerned with a mostly TR and Light assault background so i'll only say my opinion on a couple things. (turns out that's quite a lot in retrospect)

Carbines :
_Before everything was a downgrade than Jaguar and Lynx, I still feel the same except they are now worse at range.
_The T5 AMC was made a bit better but it still is terrible compared to a Mercenary or AC-X11 for a middle/long range carbine and will probably remain that way as long as its damage and/or damage reduction over range stays the same.

=> In the end no more "one size fits all" anymore but there is still the same size missing since launch.

SMG :
=> Armistice remains a downgraded Hailstorm and don't really serve any purpose.

LMG :
_As far as i'm concerned there is only one and it's the tmg 50 which didn't change that much and is still good only because...there isn't much choice to be honest.
_The T16 stats still don't make any sense compared to its attachments (kind of the same issue as the T5 AMC except even worse)
_MSW-R can only have been made better but haven't really messed with it for a long time and still doesn't have any kind of "Its light weight allows forward soldiers to retain high maneuverability in close quarter combat situations." but whatever that was probably some kind of roleplay thingy.
_T9 Carv and T9 Carv S*** : does anyone still use it since GU 01 except new players who haven't unlocked anything else yet ?
_T32 bull : can't say anything i haven't used it except for maybe half an hour.

=> May have given a buff to the MSW-R but i'm not sure that's enough to make me consider giving it a fair chance and i will probably keep using the TMG 50, anything else is worthless to me.

Conclusion : before nerfing "one size fits all" weapons, at least make weapons for each role. Especially for TR carbines, make one with one higher damage tier and 30 ammo clip then we'll have some diversity instead of straight downgrades from two carbines.

Not really GU 08 but more GU 07 (i think) :

_Automatic scout rifles : were not worth it before the smgs were introduced and still are terrible because of an horrendous clip size combined with an average damage tier.

_Battle rifles : still missing the point of the weapon, when i hear "battle rifle" i think about a high damage, high velocity and semi automatic rifle, at least i get the semi automatic part right. If anything the current battle rifles are middle range weapons you use if you want some kind of handicap and the damage scale end was even changed from 85 to 65m to emphasis it even more...whatever.

Last edited by Naelyan; 2013-05-06 at 08:34 PM.
Old 2013-05-06, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Rolfski
Major

I generally like the changes and the idea behind it. Some are definitely noticeable (equipment time) and some guns have actually become useful now for their role like the SABR 13 and T5 AMC. Other changes are too insufficient to make a difference like the buffed S-variants and the burster weapons (a Trac-5B is still no mach for a T5 AMC).

As for attachments, they didn't do their homework well enough. Some still don't make sense, some are noticeably missing considering their weapon role (compensators, high velo ammo, 2x scopes, burst/single fire modes, 6x scopes on scout rifles, etc.)
Old 2013-05-07, 12:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Corvo
Corporal

This was discussed already but I can't say it enough - T5 AMC is still inferior to any other long range carbine and the only proper way to fix it is to make it a 167 dmg per bullet weapon.
Old 2013-05-07, 12:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

I feel the SABR for the medic is still not an attractive option. I think it needs a damage buff from 167 to something, maybe not all the way to 200 but something.

OR increasing distance before damage falls off. Like the Reaper DMR (85m)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...owsperpage=250

Last edited by Ruffdog; 2013-05-07 at 12:33 PM.
Old 2013-05-30, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Hyncharas
First Sergeant

Angry Re: [Feedback] Specific Weapon Changes

A complaint I have is with the TMG-50. When this weapon was first introduced, it had its issues in terms of damage, but these were eventually rebalanced...

Now, however, my biggest peeve with it is whenever you pull the trigger; even with Foregrip and Compensator attached, it still flies all over the place with wild abandon! WTF has gone wrong with that rifle?

Last edited by Hyncharas; 2013-05-30 at 05:04 PM.
Old 2013-05-30, 05:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Sifer2
Major

Honestly all I noticed was that my Lynx got downgraded significantly, and that it takes longer to switch between LMG/Rocket. Like others mentioned I think they have failed to make TR's other weapon choices more viable. Merely made our few bread an butter guns worse.
Old 2013-05-30, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

nerfing the CQC carbines was bad

Otherwise everything seemed fine
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion