New Tower "Barriers" - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Public spammer uniform?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-29, 07:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Graywolves
General

Re: New Tower "Barriers"

Looks the same defense philosophy for most outposts.

Stuff is there, but it's not really useful.
Old 2013-01-29, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Beerbeer
Major

Well, I'm glad they're at least trying.

I'll reserve judgement until I actually attack and defend one.
Old 2013-01-29, 11:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
LegionnaireCole
Private

Those shields are a start, but what about inside the tower? They should have more of those low walls that are all over alot of the AMP stations. rather then a big empty room, make the towers and alot of the bases actually look semi defensible. Put more crates around the rooms, maybe a storage room with crates to hide in.

Also, unrelated to towers, but SoE could put more wrecked tanks around to make it look like a war had gone on, that also adds cover to the maps as well.
Old 2013-01-29, 11:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Mordelicius
Major

I'd prefer a total redesign but these are good. It's better than no change at all.

Adios Carpetbombingside! The problem is that the tower bases don't protect players from intense splash damage. For the cheap costs of vehicles, whether it be tank or aircraft, their ability to easily pin down players at the tower is unjustifield.

- this is good against indiscriminate carpetbombings of every hole in that base.
- this is good against Magriders who climb all sorts of elevation and fire with ease from cover.
- this is good for NC with our CQC Max. I don't use Maxes but if they aren't going fix our crappy guns who shoot all over the place outside the aim, this is a welcome change.
Old 2013-01-29, 11:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
QuantumMechanic
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

With the exception of the shield-doors added on the top level (I like that), the other areas that have been changed look like anybody trying to take cover there will STILL be vaporized by liberator / ESF / tank shells.

Explosions are wonky as it is, and often seem to go through walls. So I can forsee a lot of poor sods thinking that these new additions will be great places to hide behinBUGLAH!! ..*
Old 2013-01-29, 11:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Rothnang
Major

I think this is going to be a pretty significant improvement against a lot of things like ESFs spamming the doors on the top floor, or HE tanks popping shells into the second floor.

It's not going to be perfect, but it shouldn't be, otherwise the attacker would have no way to crack it.

One of the funny things about this is though, the best defensive position on a tower that hasn't been completely overrun by infantry yet is on the flight pads, because you can shoot down at tanks, but if they return fire the shells do nothing to you unless they score a direct hit on your body, since there is nothing for them to blow up against behind you. In some cases fewer walls can make a place more defensible.
Old 2013-01-30, 01:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

In all fairness, it doesn't strike me as that much different from the former design, from the standpoint of being defensive.

And it looks rather ugly, no offense to Kalyper. It needs some more smooth geometry, otherwise it looks like Orkish "Waaaaagh" Banner from WH40k.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2013-01-30, 02:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Rothnang
Major

Moving the spawnroom shields to the doors on the toplevel is a huge mistake IMO, now there will be no way to actually kill Bursters on top of a tower without flipping the whole thing, since they can always just sprint for the spawn room if anyone starts hitting them.
Old 2013-01-30, 03:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Figment
Lieutenant General

@Rothnang: otoh aircraft can just fly behind the nearest object if anything starts hitting them.

I think it's a start, it is going to take a bit more or different specs, we'll need to provide feedback on how, but, you are still going to notice differences. The one thing that kinda misses on the catwalks is a little extending corner, so you can fire down at an angle that hits below the level you are on. Ps1 towers had these little corners, quite useful.

Are these going to stop all spam? No, of course not. High rof Libs will continue to spam. At least they should have a bit more challenge. Camping on top should be reduced with this change as well. Possibly we can actually get to the teleporters now - though I would suspect more proximity mines and camping to occur around those from here on as more would be able to use them.

How exactly it'll turn out is to be seen, but I suspect it'll be harder to camp, you can see what is coming before you exit the top level of the spawnroom and that is always good.
Old 2013-01-30, 03:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Rothnang
Major

Yeaaaa, sorry, but MAXes next to impenetrable base shields is just going to be insane. That was already crazy powerful with the old spawn rooms if they had an engineer inside, it's just going to be out of control with the new spawn rooms.

Last edited by Rothnang; 2013-01-30 at 03:30 AM.
Old 2013-01-30, 03:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Figment
Lieutenant General

Hey I'd prefer a room as bufferzone around the spawnshielded areas too, but they keep this isolated room strategy. :/

I don't believe MAXes in that situation to be a huge issue though. The current HE spam is a bigger issue.
Old 2013-01-30, 04:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

LAs with some C4 could clear MAXes off there nicely, surprise them from above or below and blow them up before they can retreat.
Old 2013-01-30, 05:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Rothnang
Major

Or you could just leave the aircraft home since it's way too big of a pain in the ass to clear the skies for them, drive a Sunderer or two into the vehicle bay and infantry spam the tower until it flips.

The little awnings over the door are going to make the job of LAs who make it to the top level easier. It's not all bad, but I'm not a big fan of replacing unrendered MAXes with shielded MAXes, which right now seems what the trend will be with the new spawn rooms.
Old 2013-01-30, 05:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Figment
Lieutenant General

They're slowly learning though so at least there's progression, be it baby steps. It's probably too much to ask of them right now to completely revamp the entire outpost buildings into small bases with internal safe rooms. Unfortunately.

As for easier for LA, meh, never was hard in the first place.
Old 2013-01-30, 05:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by bpostal View Post
It's a start.
If it was the 100m final this would be the start where you trip and faceplant the ground.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion