Lonewolfs: Do you enjoy PS2? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: some assembly required
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2014-03-21, 09:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Calista
Second Lieutenant

Re: Lonewolfs: Do you enjoy PS2?

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Sadly my outfit opted out of PlanetSide 2 a few months back so when I get the chance to play lately I play lone wolf and don't really mind it. I play as an infil which is probably the best lone wolf class imo.
Sadly opting out seems to be a growing trend for organized outfits. Instead we get johnnycomelately with his handful of friends in CoD'esque "outfits". Kinda the shape of things to come on PS4 too I think. Do you think larger organized outfits will come back once more of a global strategic layer is implemented? I am skeptical but since nothing like PS2 is out there it might be it's saving grace but I don't think the PS4 community will gave an appreciation for it. They would probably be happy with each region being instanced for arena-like play.
Old 2014-03-21, 09:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
CraazyCanuck
First Sergeant

The ship may have already sailed for some outfits ever returning, but if SOE pulls their head out of their ass and implement a meaningful meta game, I believe we would see many return to at least give it a go.

As to the PS4 crowd..who knows. That is a huge pool of consumers to paint with the same brush. I would hope once they have a taste of PS2 and its scale, they may realize they're is much more out there. Throw in a qualitative meta game as well?

Old 2014-03-21, 09:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Rahabib
Sergeant Major

The direction this game took for competitive gaming made outfits no more than slightly organized pubs for me. I can get more out of randomly selecting an open outfit to use their spawning and doing my own thing than listening to some wanna-be bark orders for a battle that doesn't matter anyway.

That said, when I do play, I lone wolf. I just don't play that much any more. I am still waiting for a purpose to the game - and that wont happen until we get something other than XP to mean something.
Old 2014-03-21, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Rolfski
Major

The most fun lone wolving I have is making a trash character and going all sorts of high risk/ no reward kamikaze missions with it. Sometimes that will get you into amazing situations. After the session I delete the character to prevent myself caring for its stats. It feels really liberating playing that way and I wish there was an option to not have your stats tracked.

Last edited by Rolfski; 2014-03-21 at 12:00 PM.
Old 2014-03-21, 02:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
BlaxicanX
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Rolfski View Post
It feels really liberating playing that way and I wish there was an option to not have your stats tracked.

How about... the willpower to not give a shit?

I don't think I've ever looked at my characters' stats.
Old 2014-03-21, 02:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by BlaxicanX View Post

The evidence suggests otherwise
Old 2014-03-21, 05:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Rolfski
Major

Welcome to the minority then because most players tend to care more about their character and its stats, even if they pretend not to or don't want to, the longer they play with it and build it up. It's a very natural human behavior often referred to as attachment. It's what drives MMO's as a genre.

It's also the very reason why promoting TDM stats, like this game does, stimulates kill farming in this game.

Last edited by Rolfski; 2014-03-21 at 05:04 PM.
Old 2014-03-21, 07:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Kirotan
Corporal

All I do is lone wolf. I like to bounce from fight to fight because the only fights that I enjoy are the ones that are relatively balanced (I try to avoid anything that has over a 60/40 advantage for either side). Being in an outfit is a pretty big hindrance to this. I play LA and Infil.

Also Wraith Flash trolling is best trolling.
Old 2014-03-21, 07:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Belhade
Sergeant

Yet you sigged them for all of us to see?
Old 2014-03-21, 09:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Well I solo all the time and I am almost always redeploying on resecure's . So to add to my difficult play style the fact that I'm not that great of a player has made me accept that I probably will never have a k/d over 1.
But still I enjoy the game. I can play the game my way and at my pace. No pressure no worrying about my stats. Just try what I can to help my empire and enjoy the game.

Last edited by capiqu; 2014-03-21 at 09:08 PM.
Old 2014-03-22, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
wobblyone
Private

Apart from a rare game on Waterson with my clan/outfit buds, I play solo on Woodman mostly.
I did hang with a great outfit on Woodman briefly but decided it was not for me.
When I say 'solo' I actually mean rolling with some team mates and achieving the same objectives, but without all the orders and chatter!
If my response to 'move to this position' is WTF?, I am free to read the map myself and 'move to a better position'!
Also, I find that when I follow orders I die. Frequently! Going Lonewolf helps me to (stay alive) get in a zone and kill enemy, which is more of an advantage to my team.
Come on NC
Old 2014-03-22, 05:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
BlaxicanX
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
The evidence suggests otherwise
Originally Posted by Belhade View Post
Yet you sigged them for all of us to see?

Yah, 'cause I'm sooo proud of my sub-1.0 K/D ratio! Hurrrrrr~

Originally Posted by Rolfski View Post
Welcome to the minority then because most players tend to care more about their character and its stats, even if they pretend not to or don't want to, the longer they play with it and build it up. It's a very natural human behavior often referred to as attachment. It's what drives MMO's as a genre.
What makes you think the majority of players care about their stats? I'm inclined to disagree, honestly.
Old 2014-03-22, 05:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

I lone wolfed as a sniper. Cue stupid sniper nerf which makes semi automatics MORE effective at longer range then a fucking BOLT! (along with reduced overall range). Cue snipers being even more useless on the battlefield (which is what people complain about it seems). Cue no logic (eg: Now they're less annoying but more useless?). Cue rage quit. You tell me.

So glad PS1 is going free to play (Snipers may not one hit kill there but at least it was like that FROM THE START and didn't make past weapons USELESS).

Last edited by Taramafor; 2014-03-22 at 07:01 PM.
Old 2014-03-22, 07:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I lonewolf more than I intend to, but I do it as HA or Eng most of the time... maybe LA if I am defending against just infantry.

Old 2014-03-22, 09:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
LayZ
Private

To be honest, I have a lot more fun lonewolfing it. Nothing against squadding up, in fact I pop into some of the pubbie ones every once in a while.

I mostly play infiltrator and light assault.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion