News: First Mission System Update Today - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Better than A20
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2014-03-27, 02:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

First Mission System Update Today

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...-am-pt.179856/

All servers will come down for scheduled maintenance beginning at 6:00 AM PT (2 PM CET). Players may note the following changes.The notes in italic parentheses are additional information from your Community Manager and may not be representative of the intent of it's preceding patch note.

Members Only Double Experience Weekends!
As a thank you to our loyal members starting this week, double XP weekends once a month starting now! Thanks again, we couldn’t make this game without you guys!

Still in Progress:

Major Issue Status:
https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...6-2014.179848/
Input latency fix. Give us feedback.
Area desync fix. We’ll be monitoring results on live.

Straight Pull Bolts:
We’re still implementing your feedback from their time on Test. We know you are anxious to get them in game and we hope to have them out soon, but we also want them to be awesome.

Updates:

Missions Phase 1
  • Two types of Missions, which are automatically created by the system:
    • Attack missions are always created at any capturable enemy facility.
    • Defend missions will be created if there is significant enemy presence at a vulnerable friendly facility or a friendly facility is being contested. They will not end until that enemy presence has been removed and the facility is fully resecured. (The guy who keeps accidentally TKing you with C4 is not technically an enemy).
  • Mission Assignment
    • Missions are automatically created and assigned based on proximity to capturable/contested facilities. Players wishing a different mission can go to the region of choice and the appropriate mission will be automatically assigned.
    • The closest mission to the player’s region by lattice-links is the primary selection logic, then action scoring if there is more than one. (If you didn't understand this, it's ok. It just means we are always going to point you in a direction that may get you killed.)
    • Players in vehicles (especially aircraft) will experience delays in mission assignment as a convenience to avoid rapid re-assignment spam while travelling around a continent. (Your Outfit leader however may continue to yell conflicting orders more quickly.)
  • Squads & Missions
    • Players in a squad always inherit their squad leader’s mission. No action by the squad leader is necessary for this behavior.
    • The rules for squad leader mission assignment are the same as players not in a squad.
  • Mission Rewards
    • Players in a squad that are in the area of their squad’s mission will receive a 15% experience bonus for staying together and participating in the squad’s mission. (Once again TKing the guy in the squad for improper C4 use does not get a bonus.)
    • There is currently no reward for completing a mission for this phase of the system. (Completion is it's own reward. Right? Right?!?)
UI Changes
  • The Mission information panel is now above the Minimap in the HUD. This panel contains the target mission, distance, and direction.
  • If the player is in the target facility area the direction and distance indicator is replaced by capture point status and progress.
  • If the player’s target mission is on another continent the direction and distance is replaced by the continent name. (While it might be funny to just randomly point you in a direction and call it Amerish, this probably makes more sense.
  • The Mission Waypoint will always direct players to the currently assigned facility mission.
  • The Mission Waypoint will be hidden while the player is in the facility area of the target facility mission.
Death Screen
  • Minor modifications and polish to the layout.
  • Personal Stats now appear on the Suicide screen. (We still don't advocate killing yourself. Nanites aren't free you know.
  • Life stats now stay in the Session stats panel. Previously they were transitioning out to quickly to be perceived.
  • Messaging has been added to let you know when you’re being revived while on the death screen. (Text may include "Seriously again? How many times is this?")
Misc
  • Lowered the respawn time after redeploy from 15 to 5 seconds
  • Increased presence of membership status to highlight those benefits.
Purchasing
  • Removed SMS payment support.
Bugs Fixed
  • WDS Dominator titles should appear correctly for previous winners.
  • Fixed laser sight attachments on the MKV Suppressed having grenade launcher attachment descriptions. (Supression of Grenade Launchers seemed interesting but not plausible.)
  • Flashes should no longer have the wrong faction decal. (We get it. You don't want to be subtly brainwashed.)
  • Multiple environment bugs fixed (special thanks to player DarkTexas for all the help on Test server)

Last edited by Hamma; 2014-03-27 at 07:03 PM.
Old 2014-03-27, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

Re: The Mission System

Personally.... I like the dynamic of the Mission Systems... But I hate that it's created by the system automatically, Give the power to create missions to Platoon Leaders!
Old 2014-03-27, 02:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Agreed. Not entirely sure that I trust the game to be able to generate these missions without also mocking it up.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2014-03-27, 03:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

As far as I'm concerned the mission system has NOT been implemented yet. I don't know what to call this...thing but it's not the mission system.

Let me know when we're able to create our own missions on the PTS, then I'll come check it out.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2014-03-27, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
mrmrmrj
Sergeant

The description of the mission system reads like it will just steer people to the a contested point along the lattice - the places we all go anyway. Just a free 15% exp bonus for doing what we do.
Old 2014-03-27, 04:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Calista
Second Lieutenant

Will be interesting to see how this double XP for members works out. Seems it would cause more of the rich getting richer syndrome and widen the gap between free players (which is a HUGE percentage of players) and members.
Old 2014-03-27, 06:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by Calista View Post
Will be interesting to see how this double XP for members works out. Seems it would cause more of the rich getting richer syndrome and widen the gap between free players (which is a HUGE percentage of players) and members.
There is no gap, good players are good with stock weapons and a 30 cert scope.
When you get your arse handed to you by a lvl 100 it's not because they had more shit, it's because they've got 10000 hours experience...
Old 2014-03-27, 06:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
Agreed. Not entirely sure that I trust the game to be able to generate these missions without also mocking it up.
I really never understood how a player-controlled mission system would work tbh. I always thought player-controlled system would be a mess. This automated system would be cleaner I think. Software does what you tell it, people don't always do that though. I would think if people had the power to create missions there would be way too many hands in the cookie jar so to speak, hence a mess.

Having said all that, I never really thought a mission system was really needed in this game.
Old 2014-03-27, 07:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
...I would think if people had the power to create missions there would be way too many hands in the cookie jar so to speak, hence a mess...
It needs to be locked behind some kind of something, that's for sure. What's the PS2 equivalent of CR3?

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2014-03-27, 07:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

Re: First Mission System Update Today

It's essentially giving your squad free 15% XP just to be a squad regardless of where you are in the world as long as your squads with you then you get the free XP... Isn't that what Squad Boosts are for?

The automatic system is boring and adds nothing to the game. When players asked for a Mission System it was suppose to be something along the lines of Platoon leaders being able to set mission objectives for there squads.

Example: Platoon Leader orders Alpha squad go defend a Generator, Bravo set up AA on this platform, Charlie go repair the Tanks in this area.... If your squad was within the small area-of-operation set by the "Mission" then you would get the bonus XP.

Isn't that what was proposed on the forums oh so long ago? NOT what we have now? I'll wait and see what happens with the rest of the Mission System yet to be implemented but thus far with this introduction....

Not happy at all, This is a disappointment.
Old 2014-03-27, 09:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
camycamera
Major

Originally Posted by HereticusXZ View Post
It's essentially giving your squad free 15% XP just to be a squad regardless of where you are in the world as long as your squads with you then you get the free XP... Isn't that what Squad Boosts are for?

The automatic system is boring and adds nothing to the game. When players asked for a Mission System it was suppose to be something along the lines of Platoon leaders being able to set mission objectives for there squads.

Example: Platoon Leader orders Alpha squad go defend a Generator, Bravo set up AA on this platform, Charlie go repair the Tanks in this area.... If your squad was within the small area-of-operation set by the "Mission" then you would get the bonus XP.

Isn't that what was proposed on the forums oh so long ago? NOT what we have now? I'll wait and see what happens with the rest of the Mission System yet to be implemented but thus far with this introduction....

Not happy at all, This is a disappointment.
i am pretty sure that is planned for future phases for the mission system, this is just the first phase, calm your tits.

overall this is a positive change. hopefully it'll reduce ghost capping even more, and generate fights, as well as teach new/solo players where to go.
Old 2014-03-28, 03:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
synkrotron
First Sergeant

Misc Info

I'm not really taking any notice of it and I would like to be able to turn it off.
Old 2014-03-28, 03:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
KesTro
Second Lieutenant

There's only one mission I'm interested in accomplishing.

Old 2014-03-28, 07:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
CraazyCanuck
First Sergeant

Now that shit is funny. Ware Kestro and his cupid bolts Hereticus! That crossbow implementation was all his doing just to improve his accuracy.

Old 2014-03-28, 09:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Elahhez
Corporal

Misc Info

The mission system is not a bad idea.. but appears it need some tweaking, although i realize it is hard to predict which way the battles are going.

But in example.

Yesterday, we (vanu) were fighting the NC around the NS Material / Howling Pass bases.. and Frequently it would suggest "defend NS Material", when the logical step would be to make an assault on howling, and visa versa.

But all in all i think it is a nice addition to the game, which will most likely help the younger players finding (even if only minor, temporary and shallow) goal on what to do in the game.

*thumbs up*

Get this or an empire themed dynamic sig with your name on it at http://ps2.gilsweb.com/
Belonging to Long Forgotten Soldiers outfit on Miller, Technology IS Might
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion