Gameplay: Outfit Air Cruisers Redux - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of the Auraxis Global Network (AGN)
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 3.93 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-06-11, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Outfit Air Cruisers Redux

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
My opinion of space battles is much the same as water based naval suggestions... takes too much from the ground game of planetside...
While this is arguably true, I think there's scope to expand the Planetside Universe beyond just the ground game. EvE is trying something like this with Dust514, and I see no particular reason that both the traditional Planetside and the Spaceside game attached to it couldn't both be populated and successful.

The problem with introducing these ships, especially on existing continents, is that they become the focus of the game. It's a game change so fundamental that the original gameplay is forever compromised. They are like BFRs in that way. The original intention of the BFR was to become the new center of the battle. Nothing matched a BFR, the best way to kill a BFR was to use another BFR. And the result was that life started to be a lot less fun for people who weren't driving a BFR.

If airships are the solution then I'm not yet convinced that there was a problem.
Old 2012-06-12, 08:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Maybe I'm wrong about how space could work, time will tell.

A significant number of people consider the lack of naval warfare in PS to be a problem. I am one of them. Is PS a great game without a naval aspect? Yeah. Do I believe a naval aspect with an outfit focus will greatly improve the game? Absolutely.
Old 2012-06-15, 09:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #63
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

/bump........ again sigh. People keep coming up with BFR Ideas
Old 2012-06-15, 09:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
Saifoda
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by berzerkerking View Post
/bump........ again sigh. People keep coming up with BFR Ideas
Well, I haven't kept up with this thread much, so looks like I got some homework to do
Old 2012-06-15, 10:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I'm just happy PSU members have more reading comprehension than the PS Official Forums. Last time this idea was there the vast bulk of the posts were about how it will be the new BFR and farm everything in the game... because altitude locked airships with no weapons designed to engage ground targets are so good at farming lol.
Old 2012-06-15, 10:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
Zekeen
Major

I'm just happy PSU members have more reading comprehension than the PS Official Forums. Last time this idea was there the vast bulk of the posts were about how it will be the new BFR and farm everything in the game... because altitude locked airships with no weapons designed to engage ground targets are so good at farming lol.
I can't think of much that is more fun than 40 fighters trying to take down a massive anti air command ship while being ripping to shreds by all the AA guns.... and I'm talking from the perspective of the fighters being shot down hehe.
Old 2012-06-15, 10:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Zekeen View Post
I can't think of much that is more fun than 40 fighters trying to take down a massive anti air command ship while being ripping to shreds by all the AA guns.... and I'm talking from the perspective of the fighters being shot down hehe.
Imagine how many Star Wars fans it would bring lol.

'Red Sixty Nine, why did you turn your targeting computer off?'

'Some dead clegger told me to trust the Force!'

*Vaporized* Choose respawn location.
Old 2012-06-15, 10:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
Zekeen
Major

Hah! They should put in a weakspot for 2x damage, make it no bigger than a womp rat
Old 2012-06-15, 10:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

This must happen
Old 2012-06-15, 10:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Hah! They should put in a weakspot for 2x damage, make it no bigger than a womp rat
Make it an exhaust port directly between the main engines and when people make an attempt on it, they will probably be yelling 'Up Yours Mother Clegger!' on VOIP.
Old 2012-06-15, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

they should really make the giant lazer cannon exhaust port be a weak spot for fair play.
Can yo imagine the scythe on mosquito dogfights that would happen as the vanu defended theirs, only to have the NC cruiser show up for all out war.* Sees the shadow of NC cruiser.
Yeah were screwed
Old 2012-06-15, 12:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
Saifoda
Sergeant Major

That's impossible, even for a computer! (Most poorly researched line of script ever, ever. lol)

But yeah on the overzealous anti-BFR crowd thing; people put waaaaay too much stock in things being like a BFR. I mean really, for example if the vanguards (or even prowler/mags) weren't in PS1 and were suggested in there forums "Oh hey, how about a tank that has a big cannon that the driver can operate that will do a lot of damage, but it costs resources to get" you'd probably have the same people above-mentioned going "NO BFR'S DIE!!!!!!!"
Old 2012-06-15, 12:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
Zekeen
Major

Originally Posted by Saifoda View Post
That's impossible, even for a computer! (Most poorly researched line of script ever, ever. lol)

But yeah on the overzealous anti-BFR crowd thing; people put waaaaay too much stock in things being like a BFR. I mean really, for example if the vanguards (or even prowler/mags) weren't in PS1 and were suggested in there forums "Oh hey, how about a tank that has a big cannon that the driver can operate that will do a lot of damage, but it costs resources to get" you'd probably have the same people above-mentioned going "NO BFR'S DIE!!!!!!!"
In their defense, BFRs were/are so ungodly overpowered on a man per man ratio for opperating that they are hated for good reason. They did destroy the general fun of Planetside, and while somewhat fun on their own, detracted from more. I think these cruisers are much more enjoyable and more based on what the devs were thinking with BFRs. They figured that anything that was harder to kill was more fun. This is in fact true, but only when it's limited in several factors. BFRs = 1 man, do anything weapon with shields and flight capacity or second gunner of doom. Cruiser = outfit base with only defensive armaments to allow for occassional giant mid air conflicts. I realy don't think it'd hurt the game, only add to it.
Old 2012-06-15, 12:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
Saifoda
Sergeant Major

In their defense, BFRs were/are so ungodly overpowered on a man per man ratio for opperating that they are hated for good reason. They did destroy the general fun of Planetside, and while somewhat fun on their own, detracted from more. I think these cruisers are much more enjoyable and more based on what the devs were thinking with BFRs. They figured that anything that was harder to kill was more fun. This is in fact true, but only when it's limited in several factors. BFRs = 1 man, do anything weapon with shields and flight capacity or second gunner of doom. Cruiser = outfit base with only defensive armaments to allow for occassional giant mid air conflicts. I realy don't think it'd hurt the game, only add to it.

Definitely. And although I probably did not articulate my agreeable point of view on this issue, I do, well, agree with you! The main problems with BFR's was OP'd ****PLUS***** 1-man killtankbot. Split the power between multiple players and effectively you're eliminated potentially 2, 3, 5, 7 etc..(based on power) MAXes from the battlefield. If you've got two guys in a BFR and that's what it takes to man the damn thing (or whatever equipment/vehicles we're talking about in any given situation) then you're potentially eliminating two powerful on-ground characters otherwise. Or 3, or 5, or 7. I think it can definitely be done, and definitely agree with your assessment.
Old 2012-06-15, 01:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

I have only one question. Can they do a barrel roll.
*sees shadow of giant ship overhead block out the sun. *said ship does barrel roll while blasting rap music from speakers. Mind blown

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault