Please do not record death counts. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Don't say mole...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 3.47 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-05-11, 06:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Toppopia
Major

Re: Please do not record death counts.

Maybe score per kill or score per minute are more important indications of player skill, since i will probably focus on being a medic or light assault so i will be assisting more than i will be killing, maybe make K/D ratio a non-important statistic (that is hidden unless you go to the planetside website and search that player and look hard enough to find it), i would rather judge people's skill on their score per minute or number of revies a minute or something like that, because i know that person is a good player and isn't here 'just for the kills'.
Old 2012-05-11, 06:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
Maybe score per kill or score per minute are more important indications of player skill, since i will probably focus on being a medic or light assault so i will be assisting more than i will be killing, maybe make K/D ratio a non-important statistic (that is hidden unless you go to the planetside website and search that player and look hard enough to find it), i would rather judge people's skill on their score per minute or number of revies a minute or something like that, because i know that person is a good player and isn't here 'just for the kills'.
All the stuff you mentioned is exactly how it will be. You will have to go to the website to see that info likely. Or at least you will have to go looking for it. Also, number of heals, score per minute, all that stuff I'm sure will be tracked. Where on the screen these things are located is irrelevant. If you judge people's skill on Score per minute then do so.

I agree score per minute is a better judge of skill but that's assuming scoring is done in a way that properly rewards you for positive actions.

It's less an issue of looking at other players K/D I think and more about how seeing your own personal K/D will motivate you to approach the game.
We must appease then E-peens of the masses for planetside 2 to be the huge game it needs to be.
Old 2012-05-11, 06:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Toppopia
Major

Its annoying how everyone bases your skill on K/D, when i play a FPS for the first time, like MW3, i for some reason go to the LMG and a rocket launcher and destroy as many aircraft as i can, (I think its because i feel like helping my team).
Then if i am playing with my friends/clan then we have a strict plan set up for capture the flag, we have 3-4 on defense and our 2 best people go on offence, and we normally win everygame. Which i would hardly get any kills but i was helping my team by not letting our flag get stolen. So i may not have a high K/D but i was still a damn good player because i was a team player.

(Insert more useless information here.)
Old 2012-05-11, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Noivad
Master Sergeant

PS2 is NOT about SOlo Play or K/d

K/d watching is for the solo players in all FPS games. Team Players are more group oriented, and it does not matter how many times they die, so long as they accomplish whatever the group is doing. Its group reward vs solo reward.

Example. A driver in a vehicle, in an outfit or squad, who, enjoys driving his teammates around while they are shootong and killing the enemy, in the course of an hour may die 30 times. His KD will be 0/30. But his team will have killed 100 of the enemy because of his skilled driving. His KD is meaningless. He will however show assists, in the number of people his team killed.

In Outfit driven missions, then its more the accomplishment of the goal then how many times someone killed or died. again making KD meaningless.

Since my outfit does not cater to solo players - they are not wanted - there is no reason
why the solo players can't have their K/D.

Solo players don't usually do as well overall as the teamplayer does anyhow. Solo players are usually the 1st to die, rush, think they are Armys of 1 and despise teamwork. Let them go for their K/D. I'll keep the guy who is 0/30 anyday, if it means my team is being effective on the battlefield.
Old 2012-05-11, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Kipper
Captain

Provide all statistics with equal importance and let players decide what's important to them. That's what sandbox play is about - everyone getting what they find to be the most fun out of the game.

Saying that stat A is invalid and should be removed is like being a tank player and saying that aircraft should be removed....and to that, I call WTF.

You have your fun your way, let others have their fun their way.... It's really a meaningless discussion because in this instance - how I interpret my performance doesn't affect anyone but me!
Old 2012-05-11, 06:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
SoNaR
Corporal

Misc Info

No way, if anything they should track your k/d for vehicles and weapons along with your overall k/d. Knowing which weapon you die the most with or which vehicle you die the most in can be very helpful in the long run. If people are really that worried about their k/d... then maybe there should be an option to make certain stats private?

Last edited by SoNaR; 2012-05-11 at 07:00 PM.
Old 2012-05-11, 06:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by SoNaR View Post
No way, if anything they should track your k/d for vehicles and weapons along with your overall k/d. Knowing which weapon you die the most with or which vehicle you die in the most can be very helpful in the long run. Maybe instead give players the option to make certain stats private?
Yes, that is something i loved about BF3, i could see my kills with each individual weapon and stuff, i certainly hope that they copy Battlelog.
Old 2012-05-11, 07:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Kipper
Captain

They'll have the data so they can use it to balance the game in future patches - if they publish it, I will publish it
Old 2012-05-12, 06:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
MacXXcaM
Contributor
First Sergeant

K/D ratio fortunately isn't the only factor in today's fps games... In BF3 I'm playing mostly a medic especially if I'm with a squad. I get quite good rankings without killing much ppl, just by reviving and healing.

In Red Orchestra 2 I get most points by being in the cap zones rather than killing.

I'm most definitely sure it'll be the same in PS2. But I want to see my K/D stats by the end of the day. It's still a first person SHOOTER and I take fun from being good with my weapons and movements.
Old 2012-05-12, 08:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Now K/D ratio is a lot different than just recording how many times you had died. If they are allowing you to see tons of your stats, it's insane to suggest that you shouldn't be able to track how many times you were killed. Hell, I'd love to see how many times I was killed by each weapon/vehicle, how many times I was killed by which empire, how many times somebody got an assist when killing me, etc. Now that may end up being more stats than they are willing to track for us, but I would love to have the option to see it all.

K/D ratio on the other hand isn't a direct statistic. It's a comparison statistic, and in a game like Planetside, not really usually the most informative comparison.

Despite that, K/D is a staple of shooters, and while I don't think it should be placed front and center to glorify it, I do think it should be tracked and easy to find in the statistics pages for those who want to see. I'm not obsessed by K/D ratios, yet I am certainly curious about mine occasionally, even in games where I know it isn't important.

Hopefully they also show things like kills per hour, deaths per hour, score to death ratios, etc.

Hiding these things from players strikes me as the same kind of thinking that goes into book burning. Suppressing information isn't a good solution.

The better solution is to actively glorify things like score per hour. Put statistics like that up front and center.
Old 2012-05-12, 08:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
SoNaR
Corporal

Misc Info

High K/d isn't really a sign of a good player (although among pub stars it might be); accuracy and score per minute is what counts the most, at least for a comp player like me.
Old 2012-05-12, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
Now K/D ratio is a lot different than just recording how many times you had died. If they are allowing you to see tons of your stats, it's insane to suggest that you shouldn't be able to track how many times you were killed. Hell, I'd love to see how many times I was killed by each weapon/vehicle, how many times I was killed by which empire, how many times somebody got an assist when killing me, etc. Now that may end up being more stats than they are willing to track for us, but I would love to have the option to see it all.

K/D ratio on the other hand isn't a direct statistic. It's a comparison statistic, and in a game like Planetside, not really usually the most informative comparison.

Despite that, K/D is a staple of shooters, and while I don't think it should be placed front and center to glorify it, I do think it should be tracked and easy to find in the statistics pages for those who want to see. I'm not obsessed by K/D ratios, yet I am certainly curious about mine occasionally, even in games where I know it isn't important.

Hopefully they also show things like kills per hour, deaths per hour, score to death ratios, etc.

Hiding these things from players strikes me as the same kind of thinking that goes into book burning. Suppressing information isn't a good solution.

The better solution is to actively glorify things like score per hour. Put statistics like that up front and center.
I really like what you said here. In my earlier posts I expressed my woes about K/D and how I feel it can (emphasis on can, a possibility) effect the way people play making them ignore team goals for kills, I think that fact is undeniable, you see it in every match in most any shooter.

However, I never meant to say I feel adding K/D and stats is bad for the game overall. I like what was said in the quote above, it sums it up perfectly. People will expect these features. Planetside 2 needs to compete and give people all the things they will expect from a modern game. I'm personally not fond of people who play solo in other Team based shooters trying to land a great KDR but in Planetside 2 I'll be able to find an outfit with like minded individuals and play with them EVERY time I log in. Everyone will define their own PS2 experience, but the most important thing about this game is it needs LOTS of players. Whatever will bring this game up to snuff I support.

I would just like to see it done tastefully and with a strong design that emphasizes Statistics that are uniquely Planetside.

Last edited by Gonefshn; 2012-05-12 at 10:34 AM.
Old 2012-05-12, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Purple
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by SoNaR View Post
High K/d isn't really a sign of a good player (although among pub stars it might be); accuracy and score per minute is what counts the most, at least for a comp player like me.
in PS2 you will find that accuracy will differ between the 3 empires. the Vs should be the most accurate due to their guns being the most accurate, then the NC, and finality the pray and spray Tr will be the least accurate. and with things like sidegrades accuracy will vary even more. so unless someone played pure sniper i dont see how accuracy will matter in this game.
Old 2012-05-12, 02:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
EVILoHOMER
Major

It isn't about what I do or don't like, but what impact it had on the general player base and games that provide how many times you've died always end up in people protecting their ratio. Taking this one simple stat away will have a massive effect on how people play the game. Obviously SOE will be tracking it still as they need all the information to make balance changes.
Old 2012-05-12, 04:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
ringring
Contributor
General

I think k/d should be in, you should have some objective measure.

What may be troubling is to record death and then make it generally available via web services.

Someone somewhere will troll using the data against an individual or outfit.

You are the worst player/outfit in the game, log off now!

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault