Gameplay: Outfit Air Cruisers Redux - Page 15 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hamma sees all.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 3.93 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-08-04, 07:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #211
Gugabalog
Major

Re: Outfit Air Cruisers Redux

As is they already have biomes that negatively affect certain war machines. I.E. canyons negatively affect armor while forests negatively affect air. Why should a small (biome sized) "space" continent be any different?
Old 2012-08-04, 11:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #212
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

By definition it couldn't be small. Even OACs are going to make the current maps seem small, until SOE quadruples their effective sizes by opening up coastal areas and adding island geography.
Old 2012-08-04, 11:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #213
Gugabalog
Major

A 64^2 is more an island than a continent. Maybe a space biome for orbital platforms would have one platform for each continent?

I also think OAC works better with a taller flight ceiling.
Old 2012-08-05, 09:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #214
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

OACs are supposed to be vulnerable to ground units, it helps keep them from just going where ever they please.
Old 2012-08-05, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #215
Gugabalog
Major

I don't see a player owned anything that would otherwise be persistent being destructible, only capturable. It just seems like too big a flaw to be worth the time.
Old 2012-08-05, 12:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #216
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

They have to be destructible, otherwise you have too many of them. I admit the flaw in that is how to handle the outfit being offline, but there could be a park mode that halves resource cost, but it still costs resources when parked.
Old 2012-08-05, 12:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #217
Gugabalog
Major

I think that maybe they could be like facilities only air borne and indestructable and instead of purchasable they are capturable, which was one of the big advantages of the LOP
Old 2012-08-05, 03:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #218
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

There are already ideas like that. OAC isn't one of them.
Old 2012-08-05, 03:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #219
Gugabalog
Major

I'm suggesting making it like that as I don't see outfits buying something that has a sign painted "SHOOT ME NOW WITH EVERTHING!" and because of that they should be indestructible and instead capturable while somehow remaining mobile.
Old 2012-08-05, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #220
Graf
Private

If they are attacked, they would most likely defend with everything, though I see both points. It would have to be tried in beta to see how outfits would react to it. Would they not buy it for fear of it being attacked, or would they buy it and defend it with everything? Why not make a poll or something to see which way the idea would go?
Old 2012-08-05, 05:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #221
Gugabalog
Major

I could see someone getting it if it could only be destroyed via boarding action and destruction of certain internal elements.

EDIT: Sorta like BF2142 but since silos aren't feasible...
Old 2012-08-05, 05:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #222
Graf
Private

What if you have to blow up access doors and stuff to get in in the first place. That would make the ship easier to defend and, consequently, more outfits would invest in them.
Old 2012-08-05, 06:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #223
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Gugabalog View Post
I'm suggesting making it like that as I don't see outfits buying something that has a sign painted "SHOOT ME NOW WITH EVERTHING!" and because of that they should be indestructible and instead capturable while somehow remaining mobile.
That is part of the point of design. To keep them relatively rare, so making them destructible means only certain outfits will bother in the first place.
Old 2012-08-07, 12:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #224
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

beta soon
Old 2012-08-07, 05:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #225
Duskguy
Staff Sergeant

i would advise that the airships would only be able to be in allied areas or the areas directly next to an allied area. otherwise i can see a bunch of outfits sitting these up all behind enemy lines and killing enemies as they spawn.

would also want a limit to the number of these available. wouldnt want every idiot who makes an outfit have one.

to go with the limit there whould be an outfit ranking system of some sort, such as outfit with the most resources, the outfit with the most kills, the outfit with the most overall points, etc. should be something like 5 categories, and only the top outfit would be able to launch their ship (assuming they have and are supporting one, mentioned constant resource drain).
while that outfit holds that position they can choose to launch their ship or not. if they dont launch, the next ranked outfit in that category would get the option.
the ship would stay active until a shift in the rankings, (if the secondary outfit is using it, then it would shift when they lose that position, ie. second place dropping to third) or until it has been destroyed.
-- if you lose the ranking position the aircraft is retired, not destroyed, and is simply put into storage until the next chance of use.

^^ would promote outfits working and competing aginst each other while working together, and encourage guilds to try and keep their rank or to raise their rank. larger guilds would be more likely to dominate and keep their aircrafts up, but the trade off would be that if they lose that position or pass on launching their aircraft, they are still losing resources.

mentioned constant guild resource drain. would say active use should drain resources at 100% rate while if the unit is not airborn and being used, it would only drain 50% rate, whatever that rate would end up being, such as 2 resources per hour while in flight, 1 when not in use.

basically you would have big anti aircraft flying fortress spawn points for the front lines for the highest ranked outfits (they are the ones likely most supporting the battle). rank sysytem coul update once daily and if destroyed you would as said have a 7 day respawn timer, allowing the second or third ranked outfits in a category to launch their aircraft.

if one outfit is at the top of multiple rankings, they still only get one, and they have to choose which ranking they are using to launch, granting other outfit in the following ranks of the unselected rankings to launch their aircraft and clearly defining which category the lead outfit has to be surpassed in to force dock their aircraft, which would avoid one outfit monopolizing a launch so long as they are number 1 in anything.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault