Infantry only areas - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Staying on the scene, like a sex machine, since 2003
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-19, 10:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
CutterJohn
Colonel

Re: Infantry only areas

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post
lol... I am picturing that 90s tank game I used to play at lunch on the computers at school some times... Two tanks and messed up physics ftw!

It'll probably just be like it was in PS1.. Wide open plains areas for tanks/ground vehicles, with little cover to protect air from AA and no good hilltops/chokepoints to provide for infantry strongholds.
Old 2012-04-19, 10:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Artimus
Master Sergeant

Yea except in ps1 those battles never happend the landscape was there just no incentive to fight on it.
Old 2012-04-19, 10:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
DayOne
Captain

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
Does this also mean there are going to be designated A2A area's where AA can't ruin the fun for pilots?
Areas without buildings and really high up.
Old 2012-04-20, 04:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
I have only played a few hours of PS1, and that was recently, but it seems to me like battles very quickly end up infantry only with defenders camping doorways and attackers throwing themselves at the doors en masse to get through. What will you be doing to encourage more battles out in the field which must be won before the siege of a base can proceed?
In ps1 that is/was often a function of populations. It's odd but with larger populations it was the case that the distance between the bases appeared larger. This was because it took longer to go from one base to the next, because of the vehicle fighting that occurred between the two bases.
Old 2012-04-20, 04:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Artimus View Post
Yea except in ps1 those battles never happend the landscape was there just no incentive to fight on it.
Untrue.
Old 2012-04-20, 08:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Asp
Private

It would be interesting to see towers or capture points that had to be accessed, from a tunnel system, say half way up a mountain with the tower at it's peak. Generating a few infantry centric capture scenarios where armor and air can't rip apart the infantry not in the tower.
Old 2012-04-20, 10:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
The Janitor
Sergeant

I do admit I was involved in base sieges and defenses more often than other scenarios. However, I also recall more than a few bridge fights, desperate counter-attacks, and never-ending streams of tanks from a final base that simply refused to give up. Now with PS2 adding in resources to fight for and not just bases, I think there will be plenty of fights involving massed vehicles.

I enjoy a good infantry only fight now and again. Or a MAX push. Or a gen drop behind enemy lines. Planetside 1 gave us a plethora of ways in which to kill each other, and Planetside 2 is going to give us even more! I'm sure they'll come up with inventive ways to make us want to get out of tanks and planes and into some trenches.
Old 2012-04-20, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

So... You want to play PS2 but you don't like getting shot by vehicles when you are zerging in the open ?

Here is a tip: vehicles will go where they can go and shoot where they can shoot.

Corollary: avoid being there as a soldier unless you have a good reason to be there or a good escape plan.

Corollary 2: where vehicles cannot go or shoot is your infantry only areas.

What I am trying to understand from your question is to which extent you are reticent to interaction between playstyles in a combined arms game... If you played PS1, you should know there is always an opportunity to footzerg (even in open ground even though it's riskier) depending on the situation. Making PS2 favor soldiers too much would leave less room for vehicle play, and vice-versa. Making hard rules for separation between air/ground/soldier is not a good idea, imo. It should vary depending on terrain conditions.

In summary, don't worry; I'm quite confident devs are aware of this and will balance accordingly. They got this !
Old 2012-04-20, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Artimus
Master Sergeant

I am not worried.. Well maybe a little :o I figure if the IO areas are how I suspect were it goes from PS to CoD I simply wont play in them, I assume there will still be alot of other fighting elsewhere that I can go support/reinforce
Old 2012-04-20, 02:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

If you only played planetside recently then you have never seen the game the way it was meant to be. I started playing in 2005 before the first expansion Core Combat so I remember it in all of it's different phases and when the servers were well populated.

Originally Posted by The Janitor View Post
I do admit I was involved in base sieges and defenses more often than other scenarios. However, I also recall more than a few bridge fights, desperate counter-attacks, and never-ending streams of tanks from a final base that simply refused to give up. Now with PS2 adding in resources to fight for and not just bases, I think there will be plenty of fights involving massed vehicles.
I agree with this statement. Back when there were pop capped servers with fair distribution between the empires you would see outdoor tank/infantry skirmishes very often. Sure, you were ultimately always fighting over a base but there is more to defending than sitting and waiting for the enemy. In the old game you had to push the enemy all the way from your base to there base to capture it. Sometimes it could take hours for that skirmish between bases to resolve. Outdoor tank skirmishes and all sorts of different battles happened in the old game all the time back in it's glory days. With the new system of territory this kind of battle is going to not only happen but it will be essential.

No worries from me. I know they are designing the maps with areas that are hard for vehicles to access and all sorts of other things, not to mention that indoor fights are now more than just hallways, taking a base will involve lots of Infantry combat.
Old 2012-04-20, 02:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
SneakyBeaky
Private

i really hope they have don't have Basedoors blocking like in ps1, where i could just sit with my lighting and farm kills
Old 2012-04-20, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by SneakyBeaky View Post
i really hope they have don't have Basedoors blocking like in ps1, where i could just sit with my lighting and farm kills
Without those mechanics PS2 will lose it's share in the Farmer's market!
Old 2012-04-20, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by SneakyBeaky View Post
Agree 100%
Old 2012-04-20, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Artimus
Master Sergeant

Yea maybe they'll have enery doors you can run through but bullets and shells cant penatrate or the vehicals themselves wont even get that close

Last edited by Artimus; 2012-04-20 at 04:22 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion