Who do you like in 2012? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I have a feeling that Captain Planet would not approve.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-08-15, 08:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Hamma
PSU Admin

Who do you like in 2012?

Who are you hoping gets the spot in 2012?

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-08-15, 09:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Re: Who do you like in 2012?

Ron Paul. He's got some far-fetched ideas but I think he has enough good ideas to get the economy back on track. Ron Paul and one of his old economic advisers Peter Schiff would be a dream team.
Old 2011-08-15, 10:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Hamma
PSU Admin

I like him quite a bit also.

Old 2011-08-15, 10:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Who are you hoping gets the spot in 2012?
Right now none have actually "got me". I'm keen on Cain, I think he has a lot of good ideas, I like Bachman's fire but I think it's gonna end up being Perry vs Obama come November.

As long as Huntsman, Romney or Gingrich have the nod, as it stands, I'd be happy.

As for Paul, he'll never get the nod. He's not a bad guy, he's just... not a serious candidate.
Old 2011-08-15, 10:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Hamma
PSU Admin

Not a serious candidate who raises millions and has made a good showing in this run, and the last one as well?

Problem is Americans are programmed to believe there can only be two parties far on one side or the other. Sad state of affairs really

What's sad is what you are saying is true.

Old 2011-08-15, 11:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Not a serious candidate who raises millions and has made a good showing in this run, and the last one as well?

Problem is Americans are programmed to believe there can only be two parties far on one side or the other. Sad state of affairs really

What's sad is what you are saying is true.
It's not a matter of liking Paul or not, it's just he's said and done enough things to make many mainstream GOP voters doubt him, thus his ability to get through the primary season as the Nominee is.. well not very likely.

There could be a third party, but it would have to be built from the state/local level on up. If a third party actually got a guy in the WH, you'd see the GOP and DNC work together to deny him any success. Is that fair? Or right? No. It's just life. Now if a Third Party had a presence in the House, the Senate and say, a few Governors Mansions...
Old 2011-08-15, 11:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Quovatis
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

Ron Paul is the only one I could vote for. I don't agree with everything he says, but he's the only one that I think can truly fix the economy. His foreign policy views are very extreme, and that's the biggest thing I disagree with him on. Unfortunately, Paul's views are so different from the other candidates and how things are done in the country, that he'll never get elected. Things would need to change in small steps, not a giant leap like Paul would do.

As for the other candidates, they're too deep into religion. I found it hilarious that Perry holds a prayer rally so that god will fix the things that he was elected to do for Texas. Instead of coming up with ideas or trying to fix things, just pray...yeah, that will fix everything. Bachmann is even worse. Cain is pretty decent, but has no real experience (which he sees as a plus, but I don't think everyone else does).

There really needs to be a viable 3rd party in the USA. We really need the Instant Runoff Voting system, where you rate your vote. Then you can vote for a 3rd party candidate and not waste your vote, as if that candidate isn't one of the top 2, the candidate you ranked #2 gets your vote. But unless Paul is the nominee, I'll probably just "waste" my vote on a 3rd party candidate. I can't vote for Obama or any of the GOP frontrunners.
Old 2011-08-15, 12:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sovereign
Staff Sergeant

Palin 2.0 aka Bachman or any GOP nominee that can boast such stellar claims as being able to literally see their constituents hands being raised in approval from the white house.. who will usher in utter ruin to the party? Cant wait to find out!

Honestly I think the best case scenario would indubitably be Romney retaining the lead so that he can grasp the nomination, the myopic base of the GOP would be so "butthurt" with that prospect considering he is 'too weird' for them and after all he established that blasphemous Romney care for his state! Not to mention it would devastate those who deemed him a "souless" and apocryphal candidate last time around.

Ah yes how bittersweet that would be.

http://www.planetside-universe.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14382&dateline=131370  3750

Last edited by Sovereign; 2011-08-15 at 12:23 PM.
Old 2011-08-15, 12:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Ron Paul, no question.

Old 2011-08-15, 08:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Quovatis View Post
Bachmann is even worse.
Before I fire both barrels, let me be clear, here - I am not an overly religious guy. I was raised Jewish by my mum. I'm non-practicing, and probably closer to agnostic than anything. My dad is a Methodist minister in the deep South and his wife is also a minister. I have a healthy appreciation for religion and its power. I can quote liberally at will from the Torah and the OT/NT. I just... I don't know. The skeptic in me was just burnt out by all the hatred done in the name of G-d... whether it was done by a Muslim, a ***, a Christian... I think I believe in G-d. I believe in something, I just don't know what that something really is.

Bachmann disturbs me on a level that no other politician has ever managed to disturb me (I don't count historical figures like Hitler or Genghis Khan as that was outside my lifetime). Not only does she lack a basic understanding of the things which I feel are important to a presidential candidate, but I cannot stomach the fact that if she is elected she will attempt to impose her religious beliefs on our way of life. She is utterly fucking insane. Her brand of religion is disgusting and abhorrent to me. She is Hell's Barbie.
Old 2011-08-15, 09:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Krowe
Sergeant

I honestly don't see a good choice in the mix atm. I'm one of the few who don't blame Obama for the economy, rather Bush and the current lack of compromise in Congress.
Old 2011-08-15, 10:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
but I cannot stomach the fact that if she is elected she will attempt to impose her religious beliefs on our way of life. She is utterly fucking insane. Her brand of religion is disgusting and abhorrent to me. She is Hell's Barbie.
Yes, Bachmann is the coming of Theocracy in America!!!

What absurd fears have you.
Old 2011-08-16, 12:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Vecha
First Sergeant

I have problems with Bachmann(and others like her) that refused to have any compromise during the debt ceiling being raised.

Of course...My approval rating of Obama, the Senate, and the House are all pretty low...

I just can't vote for a President that won't even *try* to reach across the aisle...

"My way or the highway..." is not a good platform to run on, imho.
Old 2011-08-16, 08:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Vecha View Post
I have problems with Bachmann(and others like her) that refused to have any compromise during the debt ceiling being raised.
I feel the same way (including lack of faith or interest in any of the other people and parties... they're *ALL* responsible). What I particularly find disgusting are public comments like Sarah Palin's that are nothing short of a thinly-veiled threat, basically inferring to the Tea Party politicians that they'd better do what their "party" tells them or face contested primaries. This promulgates an attitude of fear because at the end of the day, a politician - whilst a politician - is still earning a living and working at his/her job. So, you can either be forced to toe your party's line of suicide bombing the nation's economy and forcing us into default, or you can be reasonable and try to find a compromise - but then you've basically just guaranteed that your cult (because it's not a recognised political party) casts you to the curb and puts up a candidate who will be their puppet mouthpiece. I took names. I noted who was trying to find a compromise, whether between GOP Republicans and Tea Party Rethuglicans or between Republicans and Democrats. And every single son of a bitch that held the line and screamed "No retreat, no surrender!" is guilty of treason in my eyes. It was disgraceful and shameful. It was willful intent to harm the nation by forcing us into default. Thankfully this type of political immaturity was headed off at the 11th hour.

This kind of bullshit is why I speak out vociferously against Der Tee Partei's actions. Our political system is not meant to be held hostage. Our nation is not meant to be held hostage. Our economic prosperity is not meant to be held hostage. Our politicians are not meant to be held hostage. One does not get into office to play games and attempt to impose ultimatums. When one does, people like me that have fought and bled for this nation tend to call one a traitor and liken one's actions to treason. I don't care what kind of do-gooder mentality exists within the average-Joe citizenry that considers themselves Tea Partiers and I don't care how well-meaning the Joe Smiths of the Tea Party are, no matter what their good intentions may be. Your POLITICIANS are SHIT.

Last edited by Firefly; 2011-08-16 at 08:54 AM.
Old 2011-08-16, 11:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Zulthus
Colonel

I'm leaning toward Ron Paul. Like others have said, I don't agree with all of what he says... but I think he has the most potential. But to be honest, our economy is so deep in shit I don't ever see it getting fixed by anyone in my lifetime.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum