"MAXes have a melee attack" - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I dont have anything clean enough to contribute.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-09-17, 03:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Death2All
Major

Misc Info
"MAXes have a melee attack"

"AzureTwilight Azure Twilight
@planetside2 MAXes (at & maxes ironic I know!) Will MAX armors be given any kind of melee attack & will jump jets still exist or be modded?"

"PS_TRay T Ray
by planetside2
@
@AzureTwilight max suits do indeed have a melee attack #planetside2"

wat

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-09-17, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: "MAXes have a melee attack"

I don't get it either.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-17, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

You're in this big power suit. It hurts when hit by it.

Gameplay wise I'm unsure as to when it would be practical to use it. Maybe its how MAX fight each other or destroy terms and stuff faster? I dunno...
Old 2011-09-17, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
CutterJohn
Colonel

Pretty sensible. As Malorn said you're in a giant suit of powered armor. If it gets its hands on you it won't feel good.

Solution: Don't let the max get its hands on you.
Old 2011-09-17, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Would be nice to know what they intend for it. If they want it to be a primary form of attack for MAXes then, well

Originally Posted by DeeTwoEh View Post
wat
But perhaps they just want a backhand knockback that a MAX could use to open some space up.
Old 2011-09-17, 05:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Bags
Lieutenant General

I'd be fine with that, but no sword fighting maxes please.
Old 2011-09-17, 05:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

MAX Melee fight:

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2011-09-17, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
FIREk
Captain

I think the main reason for implementing this is: why the heck not?

Using your runs will most likely be a lot more advantageous than using a melee attack, but there are at least two useful scenarios:
1) You may need to reload MAX weapons this time around, or let them cool down, for instance; if an enemy catches you with your pants down, you can clobber 'em good ,
2) Humiliation kill; you could have just shot the guy, but he let a lumbering, slow enemy get too close - why not cave in his face for that mistake?

Yeah, I'm apparently a big fan of mauling stuff to death with blunt instruments. :P
Old 2011-09-17, 05:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by FIREk View Post
I think the main reason for implementing this is: why the heck not?

Using your runs will most likely be a lot more advantageous than using a melee attack, but there are at least two useful scenarios:
1) You may need to reload MAX weapons this time around, or let them cool down, for instance; if an enemy catches you with your pants down, you can clobber 'em good ,
2) Humiliation kill; you could have just shot the guy, but he let a lumbering, slow enemy get too close - why not cave in his face for that mistake?

Yeah, I'm apparently a big fan of mauling stuff to death with blunt instruments. :P
1. You don't already reload your MAX in the first game? And isn't that the penalty for running out of ammo. If you get caught with your pants down you should probably be killed for it, shouldn't you?

2. Only legitmate reason I see it in place is for humilation kills.

Melee MAX puts so many visuals into my head at once it's hard to comprehend. I just imagine legions of MAXes autorunning punching everything in sight.

Melee is the bane of shooter games.

And yes I'm going to judge everything before it's even implemented or playable because I'm an entitled asshole.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-09-17, 05:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
etheral
Corporal

I could kinda see a melee MAX working as a linebreaker in indoor fights. The enemy have a choice between moving out of its way or getting bitchslapped unless they have some AV
Old 2011-09-17, 05:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Sirisian
Colonel

Heh just look at the VS hand. That thing is meant to do some damage.

I think max melee is cool. Did they say if normal infantry had gun melee now?
Old 2011-09-17, 06:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
FIREk
Captain

Originally Posted by DeeTwoEh View Post
1. You don't already reload your MAX in the first game? And isn't that the penalty for running out of ammo. If you get caught with your pants down you should probably be killed for it, shouldn't you?
Oh, right... Never played MAXes and was thinking about the TR Dual-Cycler when writing my reply. I think that one's got a pretty sizeable mag.

If you get caught with your pants down by someone who's got their pants down as well (like someone who's jumped right smack in front of a massive steel leviathan), I think it's fair for you to turn the situation around in your flavor.

As long melee attacks do a set amount of damage (which is confirmed, since they revealed that melee attacks will do more damage from behind) and there is no ridiculous lunge like in BFBC2, I think we'll be fine. Melee was only retarded in Modern Warfare and BFBC2, but even there it was never truly abused, nor did it really break the gameplay.
Old 2011-09-17, 06:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
FIREk
Captain

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Heh just look at the VS hand. That thing is meant to do some damage.

I think max melee is cool. Did they say if normal infantry had gun melee now?
Actually, it looks pretty flimsy and looks like it's supposed to be inserted into a weapon (two separate weapons for MAXes have been confirmed).

I personally hope we will either quick-attack with rifle butts or have very powerful knives (equipped, not quick-draw) for quiet, opportunistic backstabs and humiliation kills.
Old 2011-09-17, 06:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Melee definitely broke the gameplay in MW2, especially with a ping advantage I could soundly get nukes every game for a 12 hour day on a weekend. Not through personal skill (It was on 360, there isn't much skill with a gamepad) but instead through using marathon/commando/lightweight + tactical knife basically made you invincible.

Even in Modern Warfare I'd say it was relatively broken, the fact that sometimes you can totally miss with the knife and kill someone and another time you can clearly kill them and not. It seems like a dice roll mechanic and that makes it fairly unrewarding. The auto-lock insta-kill knives of CoD 4 really hurt CQB as well and fighting indoors with a gun was pretty risky.

I think the BF2 knife was one of the best in gaming, you used it if you TRULY snuck up behind them and wanted to go for a silent kill. It actually had a nuance and a use and this style of knife combined with say, an infiltration suit could really lead to some epic gameplay + sneak bastard gameplay.
Old 2011-09-17, 06:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
nomotog
Sergeant

Doesn't surprise me. Practically all FPS use a dedicated melee button that lets you do a melee strike with any weapon. It actually feels awkward when you can't reach out an club someone.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion