What do you want to see in the Engineer? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Got TR?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-04-01, 09:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Zulthus
Colonel

What do you want to see in the Engineer?

To me, the only thing separating the engineer from any other class is the fact that they can put mines down. I hardly ever see anyone use the turrets. I think engineers need some toys to separate them from the rest of the classes more. There were plenty of things for the PS1 engy to do that made the role fun that didn't involve repairing all the time.

Some of my suggestions;

1. Give the engineer around 20 mines or so, but significantly reduce the damage of the mines. Minefields are always more fun. I find the current cap of (what is it right now, 5?) to be very underwhelming.

2. Aegis shield generator. This gave vehicles a place to rearm and repair, while also being invisible inside of the shield. They were great for setting up forward bases. If this was implemented, I'd say remove the repair/rearm Sunderers. It's fine for now but it seems like a quick fix just to fill the role of frontline repairing.

3. TRAPs. (For non-vets these are basically hedgehogs, but friendly vehicles could pass through) These were extremely useful in denying enemy vehicles entrance to certain areas, or limiting their maneuverability. You could even force them into minefields if the driver wasn't paying attention.

4. Sandbags or some sort of deployable cover. In some situations, you'll be fighting the enemy in an open field. This would be very useful for many reasons.

5. Motion sensors. These could be implemented into PS2 with the same mechanics they had in PS1. You can crouch or walk to avoid detection, but as soon as you start running they sound their alarm. Extremely useful tool.

6. Sensor disruptors. They were an important part of any small-scale behind enemy lines attack.. the enemy wouldn't see you on the radar. They had to be specialized in with the proper hacking certification. They should be just as difficult to attain in PS2.

7. This might go better with the Infiltrator, but the T-REK since it is used against vehicles. It injects a virus into their systems, making it harder to steer, lowers top speed/acceleration, makes the weapons fire slower, etc.

Any new/interesting ideas?
Old 2013-04-01, 09:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: What do you want to see in the Engineer?

I think you have some interesting ideas but the Engy atm is sitting pretty sweet for me.
Just need to remove that bug where it switches between my Nano-Armor Kit and the AC-X11 so I dont keep giving the MAX a little love tap before repairing them.

Last edited by DirtyBird; 2013-04-01 at 09:22 PM.
Old 2013-04-01, 09:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Unlike the medic I actually play the Engineer a fair bit.

I think if you buff the class it will quickly be overpowered and they will then end up nerfing something it already has.

They are already awesome at defense, and good support everywhere.
Old 2013-04-01, 09:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
LONGFELLA KOJ
Corporal

Increase the Anti-vehicle mines to 5 (@1000 certs)

Increase the anti-personnel mines to 3 (@500 certs)

Items that would compliment the ENG would be:

Deployable Shield wall
Deployable Spitfire turret (uses 200 resources each) (2 unlocked @1000 certs)
Deployable Camera (ie:tribes) viewable through HUD in realtime
Deployable INV stations (Uses 200 resources each)

These are real, non-game breaking things that I think could be added. The large use of resources will keep things like the spitfire down to a minimum.

And for god sakes, bring back the Planetside 1 E.M.P. grenade to jam vehicles and blow up explosives.
Old 2013-04-01, 09:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Nope, that list just about covers it.
It all boils down to Jammers and some kind of deployable cover IMO.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-04-01, 09:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
DarkBalths
Corporal

A deployable infantry terminal (so you don't need a whole sunderer) would be a really cool idea. Just make it cost like 200 resources.
Old 2013-04-01, 09:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Kail
Staff Sergeant

I really wish they'd remove repairing from the engineer entirely and make it a universal cert, and then like you suggest giving them a lot of options for deployables / destructables.

---------------------

1) A mine or grenade that when detonated close to a 1-way enemy shield causes it to reflect bullets instead of passthrough

2) An AI mine that when triggered knocks nearby players away some number of meters

3) A mine with a half-second to second delay that can be placed near a doorway, which when triggered creates an barrier shield (ie, full damage stop) in said doorway for a few seconds. The idea being that when a group starts pushing in, the first few guys get through and then they're trapped for a few seconds with no help

4) A sticky proximity grenade that when triggered spots and knocks around / up units who trigger it. The idea being you can throw it places to be set off by LAs, causing them to be noticed and burn some JJ fuel from the air burst.

5) A mine or grenade that disables nanite reconstruction for a handful of seconds. Ie, persons affected by the device are unable to repair or heal for a few seconds.

6) A device that can be placed on turrets to grant it a damage shield; reduces the damage from non-AP sources by a significant amount. Turret destruction removes it; Inf can remove it. (ie, remove, then able to hack)

7) A "mine" that detects high-velocity explosive objects and triggers when the trajectory is calculated to land near the device; triggering the mine deploys a one-way shield for a few seconds in a small radius around the "mine".

8) A device that be placed on friendly vehicles that puts out the first fire to occur on the vehicle (ie, a single-use automatic fire suppression)

9) A device that be placed on friendly vehicles that syncs logistics data from platoon members; Turns aiming Reticle red or orange depending on chance to hit a platoon member. Might be better for Inf.

Edit: I should clarify, that I don't stricly see these as engineer-only tools; If they are divvied up to other classes I'm more than happy with having everyone being able to provide some interesting and unique monkey wrenches. These are just some thoughts I had off the top of my head that could mix up fights when used strategically; I make no claims that they are balanced in this brain dump.

Last edited by Kail; 2013-04-01 at 09:53 PM.
Old 2013-04-02, 06:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
ringring
Contributor
General

I like the deployable ideas such as TRAPS or perhaps deployable bunkers.

Anything that means that when you're anticipating an attack you can build defences. I think it would add a lot.
Old 2013-04-02, 06:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Engineers need more tools. I would like to see deployable tank traps. I want deployable mini bunkers you can put outside. Concertina wire that can only be overcome by enemy engineers. There is so much war engineering that can be added.
Old 2013-04-02, 07:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
ThatGoatGuy
First Sergeant

I agree with all the ideas in the OP, as well as the deployable infy terminal. The only problem I'll be having is REACHING ACROSS THE KEYBOARD TO SELECT SOMETHING!
Old 2013-04-02, 08:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Snydenthur
Master Sergeant

I don't think we need much, but some kind of class ability would be nice. Maybe pressing f should deploy a small shield bubble that lasts a few seconds. You can't move around with it, but it could save you and couple of teammates from a certain death.
Old 2013-04-02, 08:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Dragonskin
Major

Originally Posted by ThatGoatGuy View Post
I agree with all the ideas in the OP, as well as the deployable infy terminal. The only problem I'll be having is REACHING ACROSS THE KEYBOARD TO SELECT SOMETHING!
That is why they make these.

Razer Naga
The Hex is a smaller keypad. I have one, but after getting the Logitech version I would never go back.

Logitech G600 MMO mouse

I get a new mouse every Christmas since my brother-in-law doesn't know what else he can get me that I will use haha.
Old 2013-04-02, 11:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
ThatGoatGuy
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Dragonskin View Post
That is why they make these.

Razer Naga
The Hex is a smaller keypad. I have one, but after getting the Logitech version I would never go back.

Logitech G600 MMO mouse

I get a new mouse every Christmas since my brother-in-law doesn't know what else he can get me that I will use haha.
Thats the thing, I'm not gonna spend $80 on a mouse.
Old 2013-04-02, 11:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Palerion
Sergeant Major

I'm really hung up on the deployable cover. That sounds like the main thing this class really needs.

It's useful to the team and gives the engineer its own unique way to gain an edge in combat.
Old 2013-04-02, 11:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
ThatGoatGuy
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Palerion View Post
I'm really hung up on the deployable cover. That sounds like the main thing this class really needs.

It's useful to the team and gives the engineer its own unique way to gain an edge in combat.
The problem is, how would the engineer benefit from it? I mean, with ammo packs and repair guns and that, the engy gets XP. With deployable cover, yeah it'll keep you alive, but in the long run how might it benefit you?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion