IF this game will be faster paced then... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You say "canadians" hamma says "ban."
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-08-16, 12:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
SavageB
First Sergeant

IF this game will be faster paced then...

IF this game will be faster paced then I want faster item switching, I find it annoying in the current game that it takes forever to switch back and forth between holsters to utilize what you want. To add something to another thread that was started about inventories, Id like to not have to open my inventory and drag an item from it and put it in a holster slot. If would be nice if I can set up a quick key to use that item in the inventory on call without doing the switching thing. Or even have a button to scroll through my inventory items, for example having a rek in the third holster slot but i can hit a button to equip anything that would aply to that holster, which would make it far more effecient. I can see this type of thing happening I hope in hte sequel.

Thoughts/comments?
Old 2011-08-16, 12:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: IF this game will be faster paced then...

You do realize you can right click an item in your inventory and it will get placed in a slot, right? But yes, the inventory is slightly clunky.

I like slow item switching. It rewards people for catching you with your pants down. It's part of what makes MAXes so effective: you have a 2 - 3 second window between them pulling out their decis and switching to their anti-infantry guns.

I really hope we don't see instant weapon switching, but we probably will.
Old 2011-08-16, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
SavageB
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
You do realize you can right click an item in your inventory and it will get placed in a slot, right? But yes, the inventory is slightly clunky.

I like slow item switching. It rewards people for catching you with your pants down. It's part of what makes MAXes so effective: you have a 2 - 3 second window between them pulling out their decis and switching to their anti-infantry guns.

Yea I know you can do that, but it still can get annoying at times. At the sametime you raise a valid point, maybe it doesnt have to be instant but something less annoying at least.
Old 2011-08-16, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

Yeah, I found this really annoying in PS. Wasn't as bad when the deci only took 2 shots to kill a max. I get the feeling that switching will be much faster in PS2 since they're ditching the jack of all trades inventory system in favor of more specialized roles.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-08-16, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Bags View Post

+1

This is core to MAX / Infantry balance, at least in terms of switching between damage types (AI vs AV).
Old 2011-08-16, 01:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Graywolves
General

Fast weapon switching is silly in my opinion.

If you need to switch your weapon then you need to take cover to do so. The MAX balance is another good point and depending on how anti-armor will be, that is an issue as well.

I doubt faster weapon switching will come anyways because that supports a jack-of-all-trades or lone wolf model more than anything else.
Old 2011-08-16, 02:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Sirisian
Colonel

Just need a matrix of describing the time to switch from one weapon to another. Each one should be unique. Switching from sniper to pistol would be fast for instance, but switching from pistol to sniper would be slow. These kinds of things help a lot. Going from HA to AV could be slow, but HA to MA might be quicker.

As for inventory hot keying I agree. However if a weapon isn't bound to a holster it should have it's own unique switch time. If you have an MA and HA on your back in holsters then grabbing a deci from inventory (however that's implemented or if you can even hold weapons in your inventory) would be a slow switch time indicating that you chose not to have it in a holster slot.
Old 2011-08-16, 02:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Why should it be instant? This is the same argument as removing vehicle load screens.

IMO, it was fine the way it was.
Old 2011-08-16, 02:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

No one said it should be instant, just faster. The Original game draws out the item switching to an extent that makes the game feel sluggish and rigid compared to other shooters. imo, the class system should take care of the balance issue.
Old 2011-08-16, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Instant weapon switching imbalances the game and it really takes away from my immersion.

But really, instant switch is stupid. If the game was just an infantry combat game without any MAXes then it would make sense. But considering that there are tanks, aircraft and MAXes to consider, being able to instantly switch to your effective weapon would imbalance the game and give infantry far too much power.

Also, fast paced could mean anything. CoD is a fast paced FPS and even it doesn't have instant weapon switching.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-08-16, 03:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Zulthus
Colonel

Weapon switching is perfect the way it is right now. No change needed.
Old 2011-08-16, 03:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

I'd allow fast switching TO AV/HA FROM MA if one of the customization options was say, a speed sling? But then you might be sacrificing a grenade launcher, or an under-barrel shotgun, or a fore-grip, or what-have-you. But not HA/AV to MA. Otherwise, while I could go for a slightly faster weapon swap with a feeling of urgency like my guy is in an actual warzone, I'm mostly fine with PS1's swap speeds.

...Until I really need that instant swap.

P.S. If only it would be, "Weapon swap, indirect general purpose splash, close-range firepower, or accuracy, take your pick! "
Old 2011-08-16, 04:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
SavageB
First Sergeant

Maybe it will be a skill we will be able to cert..Skill allows faster weapon switching up to and inc 3% for example.
Old 2011-08-16, 05:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Raymac
Brigadier General

1) The only people on this thread that even mentioned "instant" weapon swapping has been people saying they don't want it. Great. We can all agree on that.

2) You can have quicker and less clunky (click, drag, click, drag, hit Esc button, yada yada) without it being "instant". For example, it takes a little bit of time to switch between slot 1 and slot 2 in Planetside.

3) The only drawback I see with the OP is that purists don't want to deviate from the current inventory system because of it's customization options.

Old 2011-08-16, 06:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
Weapon switching is perfect the way it is right now. No change needed.
You don't think it would be nice to give a use to the pistol? That's my main gripe with the PS item switch system.

Obviously the weapon switch from inventory needs to be slower than a reload though to stop people from fast swapping instead of reloading, but for guns you have in your actual holsters switching is a bit extreme between certain combinations.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion