New pic of TR Prowler - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Vacancy.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-19, 05:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: New pic of TR Prowler

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
no tank can run from a prowler (except maybe a mag over a river). Speed means you can dictate engagements, and that's a powerful advantage in its own right. It can outrun the other tanks, which means it can escape and nothing can escape it.
Best argument I have read going for the new prowler design. I loved the enforcer top speed (OP gun too ) in PS1 for that reason.

I'm thinking that locational damage in PS2 might make it less of an advantage though... but we'll see during beta.

As of now, we don't have a lot of info so it's totally subjective and biased but I'm feeling that we VS got the shaft on MBTs. Hopefully, the Scythe won't disappoint.
Old 2012-04-19, 05:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
TerminatorUK
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Saieno View Post
They haven't even confirmed a dedicated gunner unlock, they've only stated they are looking into making it available. Would love to see where you read this though.
Haha I was just making it up :P

But it would be quite cool though
Old 2012-04-19, 05:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Ejaz
Private

Right now, the Prowler looks really good!

Last edited by Ejaz; 2012-04-25 at 03:10 PM.
Old 2012-04-19, 05:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Ejaz
Private

Originally Posted by sylphaen View Post
Hopefully, the Scythe won't disappoint.

All Faction specific Air vehicles won't be disappointing. I'm sure!

Last edited by Ejaz; 2012-04-25 at 03:10 PM.
Old 2012-04-19, 05:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

I don't know about you guys, but I love the new Prowler. It looks awesome and actually a bit practical if you think about it. Turret has been minimalized to have as low a profile as possible by having the guns mounted on the side of the turret instead of housing it within the turret. And by doing so, if we make some assumptions, this allows them to mount even more guns on the other side of the turret(when I saw the 12 barrels on that MAX minigun, 4 tank guns on a single Prowler wouldn't surprise me). I would assume if they did this, it would either be a AI, AA, AA attachment akin to the way a Vannie gunner could switch between it's big gun and it's machine gun, or another 2 tank cannons if they had a dedicated gunner.

If that is how it works, the Prowler would probably be the coolest tank in this game.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2012-04-19, 05:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Hi Ejaz and welcome to the forums !

Did you have a chance to try them during the GDC expo ? The mags looked really slow too.
Old 2012-04-19, 05:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
moosepoop
Captain

i think the profile of the prowler allows it to shoot from corners, which the other tanks cant.
Old 2012-04-19, 06:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
Ejaz
Private

Hi Ejaz and welcome to the forums !
Thanks!

Last edited by Ejaz; 2012-04-25 at 03:05 PM.
Old 2012-04-19, 06:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Ejaz View Post
Thanks!

I'm part of the QA team for Planetside 2. (Test for bugs, performance, etc etc..)
Great ! Thanks for participating around here.

Hamma will likely get in touch with you soon to grant you the special dev color status (he usually validates identities first).

Now one very very crucial question: VS/TR/NC ???
Old 2012-04-19, 06:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
Ejaz
Private

Great ! Thanks for participating around here.

Hamma will likely get in touch with you soon to grant you the special dev color status (he usually validates identities first).

Now one very very crucial question: VS/TR/NC ???
Thanks!

Last edited by Ejaz; 2012-04-25 at 03:05 PM.
Old 2012-04-19, 06:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

And best of all - no tank can run from a prowler (except maybe a mag over a river). Speed means you can dictate engagements, and that's a poweful advantage in its own right. It can outrun the other tanks, which means it can escape and nothing can escape it.

That actually depends on if the speed differences are actually meaningful this time. they were only 3mph/5kph apart in ps1 which was completely meaningless. Even if you double that to 6mph/10kph its still meaningless. Run around in a a marauder and you quickly find that you have no real speed advantage versus a magrider. You are dead a zillion years before you can get enough distance with that negligable speed difference.

You need a bare minimum of a 30% difference before its even noticeable (even that isnt much) and you wont see anywhere near that difference between two vehicles of the same class esp since if they do it like ps1 you end up with 60% difference between the fastest and slowest tank. (for comparison thats only a 15kph boost over a 50kph tank for the 30% boost) Most likely we will see another cosmetic and pointless 5-10kph (3-6 mph) difference as the final number for only a 10-20 difference between slowest and fastest. *snore*

Which means the "speed advantage" tr would have would all be a complete load of BS. And so comparing it to real life faster tanks which can go massively faster than other tanks, and not a measly 3mph but 40+, just makes no sense at all. Realism and game balance dont mix in the slightest. You wont see variety in tanks like that, not when your empire is stuck with only that tank and you have to balance them versus each other in a variety of situations.
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.
Old 2012-04-19, 08:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Fara View Post
Why dont you put another 2 gun barrels on the "Right" side to make it symetrical with the left... I could learn to love a 4 barrel tank >: )
I am hoping that this is what happens when the Prowler has a dedicated gunner controlling the main gun.

Prowler = 4 barreled main gun

Vanguard = even more ridiculous looking and even bigger main gun

Magrider = slightly bigger main gun on a turret on the top
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-19, 09:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by BorisBlade View Post
That actually depends on if the speed differences are actually meaningful this time.
When asked how much faster the Prowler will be than the other two tanks, Kevmo said this via Twitter:
Originally Posted by kevmo0
@psucom @planetside2 Still tuning so can't say for sure, but want it to be noticeably faster, but still slower than a lightning.

He also said that TR had the weakest armor - at least for the Mosquito. Speed in aircraft may be a lot bigger advantage than for tanks.
Old 2012-04-20, 12:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #74
MGP
Sergeant

And best of all - no tank can run from a prowler (except maybe a mag over a river). Speed means you can dictate engagements, and that's a poweful advantage in its own right. It can outrun the other tanks, which means it can escape and nothing can escape it.
Lol. Who would want to run away from prowler? It has inferior armor and weapons. I'd simply blow this tin-can up.
On the other side - prowler drivers could use that extra speed, because all they will do on the battlefield, is trying to run away from other empire's MBTs.
Old 2012-04-20, 01:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #75
Nax
Corporal

If only they could center the barrels.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion