I hope the PS2 Devs are porting their app to this... - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: All your planetside are belong to us!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-18, 07:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
CheeZeX
Corporal

Re: I hope the PS2 Devs are porting their app to this...

As a software developer I'm really torn on this device.

Need more spec information.

It's slick but don't let that fool you just yet.
Old 2012-06-18, 07:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
VSENSES
Private

I must admit it seems quite nice. Biggest downside is Windows 8. Lots of people complain about Apple being locked down etc, but it's a thousand times worse to be locked down with windows - Internet explorer and media player are the worst!

But still that keyboard do look rather dashing!
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-18, 07:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Dunno I just can't see them getting traction - they really suck at stuff like this. I hope I'm wrong because if I am that means the space will advance a bit more.

But it's likely to be a niche device and won't get mainstream support like iOS, Android etc. It's going to have to be pretty amazing to get any of that pie.
What makes you think they suck at this? Kinect was a fine piece of engineering, and the Xbox 360 is highly successful. The Hardware *Microsoft* has released lately is top notch.

I don't think you get what that thing runs on...The software is Windows 8. As in, the full, normal Windows. The same Windows that will be running the new gaming rigs we make next year to play PS2. If you make apps for the Surface, you make apps for Windows 8.

And you can make Windows 8 apps out of HTML and JavaScript.

Originally Posted by CheeZeX View Post
As a software developer I'm really torn on this device.

Need more spec information.

It's slick but don't let that fool you just yet.
Spec - Windows 8 ? What more do you need to know as a software developer other than it's on an OS that will hit at least a billion people worldwide and you can make the app in 4 different programming languages?

Language - You want to code in HTML5/JavaScript, C#, VB, or C++?
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-18, 07:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
Well if it's in Ultrabook performance range running Windows 8 pro. Hell run the entire game from it. Worth a shot. You go first Malorn.
I'll have one on Day 0, but seeing as its a tablet, I'd prefer to do other planetsidey-things on it, thus the need for the app. I'll of course have the same app on my gaming rig too, because why not?
Old 2012-06-18, 07:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Well I'm fooled.

Want. it. must. have.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-18, 07:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

10 inch screen well would be kinda cramped to play in but it would be nice to see if it could flat out run the proper game client. You should have seen that time I was running PS on an XP VM. I was shocked it managed 12 FPS being just software video emulation on the VM.
I don't at all think it will be a practical device for playing PS2. From what we've seen not many devices are. Got a fairly good PC but I'll be upgrading close to PS2 release.

But for just about everything else, yeah sign me up for a Pro version running intel processor that can run every piece of software in the Windows ecosystem along with new Win8 apps. In a nice tablet form that has a compact keyboard that can be a general purpose carry-with-you PC.
Old 2012-06-18, 07:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
lMABl
Master Sergeant

Old 2012-06-18, 07:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Hamma
PSU Admin

Zune anyone?

Honestly I'm not to excited at all about Windows 8 what I've read so far has been meh.

Windows Phone?

These things are marginal footnotes in what has been going on recently. This is what I am talking about.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-06-18, 08:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by VSENSES View Post
I must admit it seems quite nice. Biggest downside is Windows 8. Lots of people complain about Apple being locked down etc, but it's a thousand times worse to be locked down with windows - Internet explorer and media player are the worst!

But still that keyboard do look rather dashing!
I've use the Windows 8 Consumer Preview, its absolutely fantastic. IE10 is faster than chrome, and media player is actually usable this time around. It also uses less resources than Windows 7. If you want a desktop you still have one, it just replaces the start menu with the metro screen.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-18, 08:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Zune anyone?

Honestly I'm not to excited at all about Windows 8 what I've read so far has been meh.

Windows Phone?

These things are marginal footnotes in what has been going on recently. This is what I am talking about.
Have you tried Win8? All the haters ive talked to havent even tried it. It runs great. Fancy new UI isnt the only change in the OS. Nice perf improvements and power efficiency too.
Old 2012-06-18, 08:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Baron
First Sergeant

Mal,

Can you get me one plz? kthx

(I've never bought an iPad for the sole reason of waiting for something like this!)
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-18, 08:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

They are just prettying up Vista and still making a killing off of it.
Vista was released before it was ready. Win7 was awesome. Win8 is Awesome. Version only changes with major codebase overhaul.

I rarely even see the metro interface when using desktop.
Old 2012-06-18, 08:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
psimonk
Private

Zune was a great piece of hardware, a shame it didn't catch on. I used mine until it fell in the bathtub.
Old 2012-06-18, 08:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Arovien
First Sergeant

Cool ad. LOOKS awesome. Lets see if they can take on the beast that is Apple.
Old 2012-06-18, 08:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Baron
First Sergeant

Here is some Hands-On information from Engadget:
Hardware

None of this might make sense until you touch one yourself, but it's our job to at least help you understand: the Surface really is as rigid and lightweight as Microsoft's executive team promised us it would be. The magnesium casing makes it wholly inflexible, and we mean that in the best possible way. As thin and light as it is (9.3mm / 1.5 pounds, to be exact), there isn't a hint of give in the whole chassis. Were it not for fear of scratching that 10-inch, full HD display, we wouldn't have too many qualms about accidentally dropping it: the magnesium is as smooth and scratch-resistant as it is sturdy. Heck, even after dozens of tech writers picked it up, we didn't notice any fingerprints.

The kickstand, too, is as thin as they say (3mm thick on the RT model). It folds out in a controlled, reassuring motion; we're not worried about this snapping off. It also seems like it'll take a little more than a breath of air to make the whole thing knock over. Our first thought was that the stand looks like the fold-out back to a frame, but unlike a frame, which might fall face-down on your shelf, the tablet stayed put, even after rigorous handling from all the press here.

Display
After seeing so many 1366 x 768 Windows 8 tablets at Computex, we were all too pleased to lay eyes on a 1080p panel. It is indeed crisp, but you know what's even more impressive? The viewing angles. Try following along with a demo, standing off to the side while someone else has his turn taking photos from dead-center. Turns out, it's no so hard. Factor in that kickstand and you've got the ingredients for some easy movie watching between friends.

Performance
As for performance, we'll be honest: tech press were treated to about two minutes at each of several stations, some of which demoed design, and not so much the power that lies inside that thin frame. (Microsoft has only said that the ARM chip is made by NVIDIA. No one ever said it's a Tegra 3 SoC, but that is naturally our best bet.) Still, in our brief hands-on the optically bonded screen was incredibly responsive to our various taps and swipes. Fast, slick and very, very promising. Now if only we could see the Core i5-powered Pro model in action. As for pen input, it's very possible, including PDF mark-ups and all, but we didn't get to see that demoed today. Sorry, Charlies.

Touch Cover and Type Cover keyboards
Unfortunately, we didn't get to see a working demo of the keyboards. As in, we weren't permitted to type sample sentences and feel what it's like to hammer out characters on a flat keyboard, or on keys that have just 1.5mm of travel. Still, they were on display in the demo area and we did get to, you know, put our fingers on them. Starting with the flat one (that'd be the Touch Cover), the keys have a slightly scratchy surface that seems like it would make one's fingers feel just a bit more anchored. Still, we're curious about the learning curve for a keyboard that's so... what's the opposite of "tactile"?

Interestingly, with the Type Cover, the cushier of the two keyboards, it's still difficult at first blush to tell one key from another if you're not looking down at them. Each manufacturer has a different way of conserving space when building a set of keys for a 10-inch device, and it's clear that Microsoft decided using a chiclet layout would have been inefficient: the keys are packed fairly tightly, with the flat keycaps almost blending into one another. Based on remarks by Steve Ballmer and others during the presentation, it sounds like a lot of thought went into the two keyboards, so we wouldn't be surprised if a large focus group of touch typists were able to prove Redmond's engineers right. But having played with both, we don't imagine this being like settling in with a new laptop, or even a Transformer-style keyboard dock. You might have to re-learn how to type (or at least teach your brain to fuhgeddaboutit and trust your fingers to land where they're supposed to.)
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/18/h...or-windows-rt/
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion