Will Beta TOS allow making videos? - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: A TR, an NC, and a VS are stuck on an island....
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-20, 02:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #76
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

Re: Will Beta TOS allow making videos?

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
I wonder if players will be able to record footage and then send it in to the devs for approval. Could be too much work for the busy dev team to screen a bunch of footage though. Still, it would be nice.
We are going to encourage folks to take video but no we won't be reviewing it. All we are doing is asking folks wait for the very early Beta phase to end and we drop the NDA.

Like I said in my other post, honestly? You guys have seen a huge portion of the game and if you somehow manage to take better video than we got from E3 in the earliest Beta stages? *WE* should be the ones putting that out.
Old 2012-06-20, 02:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #77
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Re: News: There will be no videos on beta...

Originally Posted by CTheRain View Post
Can I make videos then not release them until the NDA drops?
There's no way for any of us to know until we know what the NDA (and the NDA lift -- there could be language that prevents us from uploading prior recorded footage) specifically says and how it says it. And most of us, after reading the NDA, will accept it, which likely means we won't be able to talk about what it says.

Edit: Of course, RadarX shows me up by giving us newer information while I'm typing that. From what he just said, it's *likely* (but, again, wait for the NDA lift and read it carefully to make sure) that they plan on letting us upload NDA-bound material after the NDA is lifted.

Last edited by kaffis; 2012-06-20 at 02:52 PM.
Old 2012-06-20, 05:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #78
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
Well, we aren't restricted by legalities as you guys are, we can place music and other arcs in the video. Not saying we could do *better*, but we could provide something different.
Or, we could actually work together.

SOE got a huge staff, as seen at E3. If we combine them and the closed beta folks, it would be easily possible to produce some really awesome stuff.
Old 2012-06-20, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #79
SergeantNubins
Corporal

I understand why SOE are concerned about alpha footage being used, but it seems unlikely that footage of alpha gameplay showing bugs will prove popular to people, certainly nowhere near as popular as good fan made trailers and movies that really demonstrate what PS2 is about. The good is likely to outweigh the bad.

I would suggest that most of the good fan made trailers that have gone up recently are a great deal better at showing off what PS2 is than the offical ones. Mainly because they have focused on actually showing what ps2 is about (using the extensive footage you have released so far), rather than showing bad AI bots standing stationary shooting at each other or moving in predetermined straight lines. The only offical trailer style video that I think was good is the massive air combat one.

Having said all that, i dont really care I wont be recording any video or anything, just my 2 cents that maybe well made, well shot fan trailers will do you guys a favour.

SoE has a rep for being quite bad at advertising its games, and whilst it seems to be doing much better recently, penetration into the large gaming websites seems fairly weak still, there is barely anything on eurogamer or gamesradar so far (for example) .. and the gamesradar editor did a piece when planetside next was announced about what a huge fan of ps1 he was. It was marcopolo's fan made trailer & forum campaign that gave ps1 a huge boost years ago, and that was in response to the lack of effective marketing causing player numbers to drop off. I think you guys should embrace fan made movies, even if its shot from beta footage.
Old 2012-06-20, 05:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #80
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

I'd love to take video! Definitely will! But if we can't release it that is totally fair and underatandable. I'd just love to have some for memory's sake and the possibility it could be allowed to be shown at some point.
Old 2012-06-20, 06:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #81
Krishtov
Private

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
We are going to encourage folks to take video but no we won't be reviewing it. All we are doing is asking folks wait for the very early Beta phase to end and we drop the NDA.

Like I said in my other post, honestly? You guys have seen a huge portion of the game and if you somehow manage to take better video than we got from E3 in the earliest Beta stages? *WE* should be the ones putting that out.
Actually I'm a professional media guy :P Video Editing and all that. Went to college for it and have a job in it. If I had rights to use certain musical pieces I probably could do better. Not saying you guys did a bad job!

Difference is, you can't use after effects, and other fun things to 'add' to the cinematic feel as you guys are always doing pure in game footage for sales and PR reasons.

On top of that, my financial stability doesn't depend on a video game's sales. So I have more time and creative maneuvering to work on things without a board of directors poking my boss' side about the progress of the project.
Old 2012-06-20, 06:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #82
Notser
Staff Sergeant

Re: News: There will be no videos on beta...

Originally Posted by CTheRain View Post
Can I make videos then not release them until the NDA drops?
They can't stop you from filming the beta, all they can do is stop you from releasing the content to the public. There isn't any proof of a recording until it pops up on the internet. If I were to cover PS2, I'd save a ton of beta NDA content then create a video that highlights the best of the best and wait for the NDA to be lifted.
Old 2012-06-20, 07:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #83
TheRandomAmiba
Corporal

will it be alright to record vids of before the nda is dropped and then after it is dropped post them. i want to start a youtube but i don't know how often i can record so i want to know if i can have lots of footage ready?
Old 2012-06-20, 07:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #84
Sotonian
Corporal

I assume this also counts for live streaming?
Old 2012-06-20, 07:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #85
Hamma
PSU Admin

I would assume it has to.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-06-20, 08:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #86
Top Sgt
Sergeant Major

lol yes this includes livestreaming also
Old 2012-06-20, 09:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #87
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info
Re: There will be no videos on beta...

During our closed Beta we simply ask folks to discuss the content with what we provide them. There will be ample time to show everything when we hit Open Beta. The team has been very transparent and you guys have seen quite a bit more than other companies will show.
Can we make private videos on youtube and then upload the links to the closed beta forums? That way we could make videos and show them but they'd be only in the areas that have been setup for us.

Also, we can make better videos. As a general rule anytime someone says "you can't" about something being done online, that doesn't break the laws of physics, it probably can and indeed will be done. Internet rule #35 is a prime example of this.
Old 2012-06-21, 06:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #88
Flisher
Private

About livestream,

Could we use private channel requiring password to stream to select group of people in the beta? the purpose would be to test our streaming application/configuration with the game to ensure neither planetside or the streaming software cause performance/stability issue.

I really think that there will be alot of streaming regarding planetside 2, especially for bigger organised outfit that will even stream from multiple source into their feed (reporter/broadcaster/commentator options...)
Old 2012-06-21, 06:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #89
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

No just stick to the NDA until it is lifted.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2012-06-21, 05:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #90
TheInferno
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Captain1nsaneo View Post
Can we make private videos on youtube and then upload the links to the closed beta forums? That way we could make videos and show them but they'd be only in the areas that have been setup for us.

Also, we can make better videos. As a general rule anytime someone says "you can't" about something being done online, that doesn't break the laws of physics, it probably can and indeed will be done. Internet rule #35 is a prime example of this.
Private videos are still visible to everyone, all you need is the links. All it would take is one guy leaking the link from the forum or something. Better for them to be safe than sorry, at least from a corporate view.

Originally Posted by Flisher View Post
About livestream,

Could we use private channel requiring password to stream to select group of people in the beta? the purpose would be to test our streaming application/configuration with the game to ensure neither planetside or the streaming software cause performance/stability issue.

I really think that there will be alot of streaming regarding planetside 2, especially for bigger organised outfit that will even stream from multiple source into their feed (reporter/broadcaster/commentator options...)
I don't think they really care if you can stream the game properly in beta, at least not in the early part under NDA, so it probably won't happen.

Honestly, guys, as has been said the NDA will lift eventually, probably before release, so all the videos you guys make (which I bet will be made even if not published) can wait for that, and the livestream thing can be tested in beta after the NDA is lifted.

Not saying I wouldn't be interested in these videos, but it's not something that's worth getting removed from the beta over, IMO. 'sides, the Planetside 2 devs are one of the most open groups I've seen, so I wouldn't be surprised if they continued to push out some videos, or even do a stream of the game in beta.

I'm also laughing at the "SOE taking over" thing, fishirboy. Planetside has always been an SOE property, as far as I know.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion