Thoughts on new S-AMS - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Pictures of the day now come with extra MSG!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-09-22, 11:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info
Re: Thoughts on new S-AMS

The SAMuS is fantastic. Much better ground fights now. Just need infils in the game along with MAX abilities and we'll get a much better picture on how the final game will playout.

As for cost changes...

This joke is just in bad taste.
Old 2012-09-23, 12:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Timealude
Captain

Originally Posted by Captain1nsaneo View Post
The SAMuS is fantastic. Much better ground fights now. Just need infils in the game along with MAX abilities and we'll get a much better picture on how the final game will playout.

As for cost changes...

This joke is just in bad taste.
I actually had my first taste of an infy attack today on metis.....all i can say is. There will be a big need for infys now just because of how much of a set back it is when all your turrets and terminals become hacked.

Also...ya those prices need to get lowered....
Old 2012-09-23, 12:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Galron
Staff Sergeant

lol 900 in game hours to unlock a smoke, no thanks.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-09-23, 12:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by DjEclipse View Post
Except when Sp00ky is driving the bus the wrong way.
How does he not know how to get to Vanu Archives from Snake Ravine...srsly...even with a big waypoint.
Old 2012-09-23, 04:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
ringring
Contributor
General

It's great so far ....we really need to see how ground battles pan out with more people having more certs.

Specifically, A2G rockets and AA max.

One good thing about the territory in the South erast is that there are lots of rocks to hide your sundy behind.
Old 2012-09-23, 06:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Canaris
Contributor
General

said it over on the offical forums, new AMS is fantastic for combat flow, it works really well

So much so if Galaxy spawn went the way of the dinosaur I wouldn't shed a tear.

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2012-09-23, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
If I want ninja squad action I would rather bring a Sunderer. G-AMS is exactly the zerg type of spawnpoint.

That's actually the point you were making in a thread not so distant.

EDIT: Also 10/500... I'm after a good start.
Yes, it was I've stated that's the only thing it was good for as a behind frontline zerg spawnpoint when there's more than enough people to guard it.

But I suppose I didn't communicate well that was not a flattering assessment, as that mainly showed both its massive limitations (pun intended) and forming of overpowered situations. Which I'll remind you, I already denoted would happen well over a year ago now: too much health in the sky and too powerful to deal with on the ground by a small team, or too easy to kill by a zerg. :/ That's all it was and would be used for, aside from overpowering small teams in outposts, of course. The Galaxy was/is not, by even the wildest stretch, a good universal spawnpoint design.

However, as the main role of the Galaxy is transporting people to and hot dropping people in, having it as a personal rally point would allow you to quickly regroup and go in again and wouldn't even require as many hitpoints as it'd be on the move more and often a discardable unit (like the PS1 Gal). That would make Galaxy play more dynamic than it was during Beta so far. If you'd land and deploy it (or them, in case of a platoon), you could still get your squad up and running. Hell, allow others to matrix to it as well, as long as they've been there in person. In that scenario it's not as blunt an instrument anymore and can be dealt with more easily by smaller groups, as not the entire zerg would be spawning there, just a squad: take out one Gal if two had landed and you take care of one squad's spawnpoint, then those guys become reliable on the medics of the other team, for instance.

What I also said in that thread, was that both small teams AND zerg can use a ground based AMS (opposed to some people's claims) and that it would establish front lines where you inch your way into the enemy's base have to use more strategy than frontal assault, that they would be used to support sieges, field battles and defend positions alike. Which is exactly what they're being used for and exactly what is happening right now and exactly what players had been looking for. Similarly, I also said they would be easier to take out by smaller groups of players, due to the lower hitpoints. So please, extend some credit where it's due. ;p

What I don't quite get though, is that the Sundy AMS has some of the same basic design flaws the original Mk.1 AMS had: just one terminal on the rear and there not being ample protection for the spawnee, who's standing still for a second completely in the open in a predictable location. With a one second TTK... Eh. The cloak field wasn't just there to hide the spawnpoint. It was there to give the spawnee a fighting chance too. Etc.

Beyond that, I've already heard a number of complaints I've warned months and months ago about: visual recognition of type. :/ AMS Mk.3 thread has pretty much all the potential Sundy/AMS flaws listed and many of these have not been adressed. Things like no interference radius and I've seen pictures of people parking them inside without deconstruction ensueing. Not quite details, but rather important coding elements to make it succeed fully. (But hey, I've driven ATVs with a 20mm machine gun into generator rooms too...)

Hence I'd still be in favour of a non-Sundy, actual AMS.
Old 2012-09-23, 11:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Shogun
Contributor
General

the new sunderer ams is great!

but it needs some changes.
first, make it more of a sidegrade. ams functionality should reduce passanger slots or remove guns.

second, it desperately needs visual indicators what is equipped!

soldiers need to see if they are running up to a ams sundy or a vanilla sundy! it totally sucks to run through enemy fire to get ammo from a sundy just to find out it has no ams equipped and you have to run back still unarmed.

also the vehicle repair and ammo dispensers need visual indication as well!
so either make the models modular and the passanger cabin interchangable, or take the easy route and add icons over a sunderer at least for friendlies.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-09-24, 05:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
TerminatorUK
Master Sergeant

I really like the Sunderer taking the AMS role - it has really created some memorable battles and creates a stable front line again which has enchanced gameplay significantly.
Old 2012-09-24, 05:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Darkvenom
Private

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
the new sunderer ams is great!

but it needs some changes.
first, make it more of a sidegrade. ams functionality should reduce passanger slots or remove guns.

second, it desperately needs visual indicators what is equipped!

soldiers need to see if they are running up to a ams sundy or a vanilla sundy! it totally sucks to run through enemy fire to get ammo from a sundy just to find out it has no ams equipped and you have to run back still unarmed.

also the vehicle repair and ammo dispensers need visual indication as well!
so either make the models modular and the passanger cabin interchangable, or take the easy route and add icons over a sunderer at least for friendlies.
agree on all...Sundy AMS has changed the game so much already..lovin the change, but it will still need further tweaking for sure. If they want to put something on the Galaxy then they should add a Lodestar cert to it until they give us a Lodestar.
Old 2012-09-25, 01:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Ghost Runner
Staff Sergeant

Thoughts;
it should be flimsy easy to kill check
should be easily camped by a sniper if not hidden well or placed tactically Check

I think it is working great.
Old 2012-09-25, 02:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Traak
Colonel

How do you get into beta? Do I have to actually be ten years on Plantside first, not only nine years?
Old 2012-09-25, 04:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Traak View Post
How do you get into beta? Do I have to actually be ten years on Plantside first, not only nine years?
Sign up for beta on planetside2.com using your normal station name. You won't automatically get into beta by just doing that - the backend script to do that has already been run but I believe if you email [email protected] and explain Brad will let you in.

If you had previously signed up and didn't receive an email accepting you in, go to www.planetside2.com/download to download the client.

The beta forums are at http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php and if you can by change log onto there it mean you already have access to the beta.
Old 2012-09-25, 06:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Qwan
Captain

Im thinking that the sundy AMS is working pretty well. I mean if the object of the game is to get people to the fight, so that they can have fun while playing the game is the over all target then this is the thing thats going to do it. I still think they should give a area restriction like with the old AMS, and with that a small cloak shield to prevent spawn kills.

I think that the cert price and the resource price is just right. One thing about planetside is that getting back to the fight in a timely manner is key when it comes to turning the tide. It uses a slot on the sundy to apply the AMS ability which is a good thing. This balances out in the long run, I hope they keep the sundy ams, and tweek it a bit with maybe a small cloak shield to protect the spawning troops like in the first PS.
Old 2012-09-25, 10:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Raka Maru
Major

Originally Posted by DjEclipse View Post
Love new S-AMS, now I'd like it to have good traction/steering like old AMS.

Only reason I got AMS Support Auraxium, earning that hideous looking orange
merit that I wore proudly; my AMS handled like a pro on damn near all terrain.
Yes it could use more stability, traction, and lower center of gravity. I flipped it once, and slid off a cliff several times.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion