Light Assault Ammo Drop - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The all natural supplement
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-06, 10:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Mordicant
Sergeant

Light Assault Ammo Drop

I am curious on how the light assault ammo drop system is going to work? Is it unlimited? How often can you drop it. Do you get all ammo types from it? Do medics have a similar medpack drop?
Old 2012-03-06, 10:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
xSquirtle
Staff Sergeant

Re: Light Assault Ammo Drop

With the whole no inventory management system, this comes to no surprise they would add something like this. My guess is that they well limit it, to maybe 2 or 3 packs per player.

Originally Posted by UrielVS
Looking from the outside in. The game does not represent Planetside. With original concepts that players across the board accepted with open arms; have been taken out. Developers are creating the next COD on a massive scale. Generic players who never saw or even felt the uniqueness of the game, will only continue to nod their heads with blinding satisfaction, not realizing what basic functionality the game will lose in the process.
Old 2012-03-06, 10:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
VanuMAXGuy
Banned

Great, just what we need, more BF3 copy pasta.

Don't do ammo drops. It's a lazy cop out and you may as well just give everyone infinite ammo.
Old 2012-03-06, 10:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Whalenator
Second Lieutenant

I'm disappointed that they're trying to dumb down the game. I'm all for making things simpler, but doing this doesn't really add to gameplay... If anything, it detracts from it. A predecessor, in this case Planetside 1, should serve as a direct inspiration for sequels; not just in theme, but in gameplay and feel. I understand how times have changed, but the pace of Planetside 2 has been speed up so much with Squad Spawns and the Class System (Not that either of those are individually flawed) that death seems to have become just a minor inconvenience. In Planetside 1 it was hard to get killed, and you knew that if you got creamed you had really messed something up. Cheap deaths were few and far between.

...But, as many others say, we'll just have to wait and see.

EDIT: On a less existential note, they really should grant ammo boxes to support classes. Light Assault is the second to last class that should be able to dispense ammo, the last being the infiltrator (Though apparently they have shotguns now.)

NC Brig. General ಠ_ರೃ

Last edited by Whalenator; 2012-03-06 at 10:38 PM.
Old 2012-03-06, 10:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Sirisian
Colonel

Huge fan of the more limited ammo system. That's a step in the right direction. It was nice Higby kill a few people then run out of ammo and have to resupply.
Old 2012-03-06, 10:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Synapses
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Whalenator View Post
I understand how times have changed, but the pace of Planetside 2 has been speed up so much with Squad Spawns and the Class System (Not that either of those are individually flawed) that death seems to have become just a minor inconvenience. In Planetside 1 it was hard to get killed, and you knew that if you got creamed you had really messed something up. Cheap deaths were few and far between.

...But, as many others say, we'll just have to wait and see.

E)
What? Your kidding me right... you know the number one complaint I have about Planetside 1? I died so easily and so quickly and it had a rock paper scissor feel to it. To say that if you died in Planetside 1 you really messed up... Yeah right Whale. Thats probably the single most untrue statement ive read about Plantside. You died so quickly and easily in almost anything but tanks and BFR's. I come around the corner to a guy using third person view with his MCG, dead, no chance. I was live streaming earlier today and was getting mad because I was dying 10 seconds after I spawned weather it be random bad luck or some guy with his MCG, and it only took a few seconds like I said. So your point is here on out invalid in every sense.

Ammo boxes are a good addition. It makes it so I dont have to run all the way back to the AMS/Terminal to get my ammo back. Now I can just back out of combat a ways and rearm. How is that ANY different then the HP/Armor system in PS1 right now. Its probably something you have to cert in to on top of that.

Last edited by Synapses; 2012-03-06 at 10:43 PM.
Old 2012-03-06, 10:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Whalenator
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Synapses View Post
What? Your kidding me right... you know the number one complaint I have about Planetside 1? I died so easily and so quickly and it had a rock paper scissor feel to it. To say that if you died in Planetside 1 you really messed up... Yeah right Whale. Thats probably the single most untrue statement ive read about Plantside. You died so quickly and easily in almost anything but tanks and BFR's. I come around the corner to a guy using third person view with his MCG, dead, no chance. I was live streaming earlier today and was getting mad because I was dying 10 seconds after I spawned weather it be random bad luck or some guy with his MCG, and it only took a few seconds like I said. So your point is here on out invalid in every sense.

Ammo boxes are a good addition. It makes it so I dont have to run all the way back to the AMS/Terminal to get my ammo back. Now I can just back out of combat a ways and rearm. How is that ANY different then the HP/Armor system in PS1 right now. Its probably something you have to cert in to on top of that.
It seems like an SMG can kill a medium assault in two seconds if well-aimed.
It took maybe three direct hits (~2.5 seconds) with the most powerful close combat weapon in the game (Jackhammer) OR MORE to kill someone in reinforced armor.

Aside from the occasional spawn tube raids, when you're on the defensive you die slower. Longer respawn times might give the allusion that you're dying more often or maybe you're just bad.

tl;dr You die quicker in PS2.

NC Brig. General ಠ_ರೃ
Old 2012-03-06, 11:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Synapses
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Whalenator View Post
It seems like an SMG can kill a medium assault in two seconds if well-aimed.
It took maybe three direct hits (~2.5 seconds) with the most powerful close combat weapon in the game (Jackhammer) OR MORE to kill someone in reinforced armor.

Aside from the occasional spawn tube raids, when you're on the defensive you die slower. Longer respawn times might give the allusion that you're dying more often or maybe you're just bad.

tl;dr You die quicker in PS2.
Welcome to modern shooter mechanics Whale. Get used to it. I love how this looks. I stated what my biggest complaint was in PS1, and that was ground warfare in CQC. This looks much more fluid and modern. Yes a little BF2ish, but still awesome in every way. I prefer to not have this BS that is strafing ad ad ad ad ad in PS1 or the rock paper scissor feeling of firefights.

*shrug*

I still respect you and love you whale, just dont agree to the comments on PS1.
Old 2012-03-06, 11:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Whalenator
Second Lieutenant

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then.

NC Brig. General ಠ_ರೃ
Old 2012-03-06, 11:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Synapses View Post
What? I'm a huge fan of long TTKs since it offers a player a choice about what to do especially in a big game. I find it kind of odd that you'd say PS1 had a TTK that was too short. Most kills took seconds compared to a modern game where a few milliseconds are required to kill someone with a few bullets. Mind expanding what you'd prefer? Are we talking about multiple seconds? Like where you put 30 rounds into a person before killing them? (Note, I'm not against that, but remember we have recharging shields).

You could tell in the gameplay video that Higby was taking damage left and right. Was he dying for that random bullets hitting him? No. And that's really all most of us are asking for. His shield recharges and he goes on with playing. He doesn't sit and heal/repair for 5 seconds. Then you see on the other hand a few well placed shots will kill someone fairly quickly which is expected. Obviously with a ton of people it needs to be balanced so you don't end up with "instant" kills with hundreds of bullets flying around, but from what I could tell they're at a good start for balancing.

The only problem I have with currently is the lack of choices during combat. You can throw a grenade, aim, shoot, or reload which looked to be it from the combat choices. Hoping they expand on that a bit since I prefer complex combat decisions.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2012-03-06 at 11:14 PM.
Old 2012-03-06, 11:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
IceyCold
Master Sergeant

One thing I did notice that I actually LIKED (given we are gona have to deal with an ammo drop system which I really don't like) is that it takes a good amount of time to get ammo from the ammo drop.

If you watch the video, it takes about 2-3 seconds to get a single clip of ammo from the drop box. So you have to stay near it for a while to get fully resupplied.

So at least it isn't just: Throw on ground>Everyone is full stock again instantly. And I am fairly sure it will have a limited supply.

Just add it to the list of things to test and balance in beta.
Old 2012-03-06, 11:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Synapses
Sergeant Major

Siri, I am totally cool with how things are looking right now. I am not even 0.01% disappointed.

Last edited by Synapses; 2012-03-06 at 11:27 PM.
Old 2012-03-06, 11:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Cosmical
Contributor
Cosmic Comics

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
The only problem I have with currently is the lack of choices during combat. You can throw a grenade, aim, shoot, or reload which looked to be it from the combat choices. Hoping they expand on that a bit since I prefer complex combat decisions.
Agree Agree.

Although how complex do you want to get? From the sounds of things everyone has a damage grenade and a untility grenade. And i hate it when corner or door battles just become spam with grenades, i dont know how much more complex a game of this size can get.

If you look aswell, throwing a grenade was abit clunky, by design. It took him a while to throw, and he was vulnerable while doing so for quite a while. Hopefully that will be enough to make throwing a grenade a skilled choice, rather than a desperate mans flinging.
Old 2012-03-06, 11:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Vancha
Colonel

The only thing I'd say is, when Higby ran out of ammo I was like "Aha! Now you'll have to get the pistol out and fight for your life!", then I saw the ammo box and I was slightly disappointed.

I'm not really against ammo boxes, but I wonder whether it'd be more fun to sit on ammo boxes to reload, or find yourself occasionally caught short and have to survive with your side-arm.
Old 2012-03-06, 11:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Synapses
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
The only thing I'd say is, when Higby ran out of ammo I was like "Aha! Now you'll have to get the pistol out and fight for your life!", then I saw the ammo box and I was slightly disappointed.

I'm not really against ammo boxes, but I wonder whether it'd be more fun to sit on ammo boxes to reload, or find yourself occasionally caught short and have to survive with your side-arm.
I think it will still play out both ways, everyone probably isnt going to have the ammobox in light assault and obviously outside of that class...

So I think youll still see both things happening.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion