How to Stop 4th Empire/Spying/Sabotage? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: you have lost 100 BEP for entering this site
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-18, 10:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info
Re: How to Stop 4th Empire/Spying/Sabotage?

Originally Posted by Marsgrim View Post
I'm sure a number of people have thought of this, but it seems to me that there is a potential problem generated by the current F2P model.

Firstly, with a F2P model it is very easy for people to create multiple accounts allowing them to desert a faction when it is winning or losing.

Secondly, it can allow sabotage of an empire's actions by spying on primay targets and any form of command chat or priority mission.

Thirdly, it can allow sabotage of an empire's actions at a facility through deliberate greifing - e.g. a galaxy bomb or worse, deliberate misuse of empire resources through spuriously spawning vehicles and parking them in the middle of nowhere or using them to TK.

Does anyone know if the developers have given throught to preventative measures on this - beyond in game CSR which may not police the issue quickly enough if too busy with other calls.

The only preventative meausr eI can think of is through a punkbuster or anti-cheat which registers the computer id to prevent faction switching but that would not account for multiple computers or be fair to those sharing a PC but on different factions.

Anyone got any ideas?
with it being completely free to play... you can't.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2012-06-18, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Trafalgar
First Sergeant

People keep referring to the Fourth Empire. I'm sure these reports of Cacti spies are exaggerated. There's no way the Vanu could have possibly planted listening devices in all of them.

Originally Posted by RoninAfro View Post
[Complicated scheme which is mainly checking IPs for duplicates and preventing simultaneous logins or re-logins within 5 minutes.
Yes, great idea, then people won't be able to play with their wives, brothers, imaginary siblings (okay, I had to toss one in for the people running two clients at once )...

You could block two clients on two accounts at once if on the same computer by creating a hardware ID (Perhaps punkbuster has a function for it, some other DRM systems do) for the system and comparing it.

I don't really know of any good way to block running separate clients on separate accounts on separate computers without also blocking people from playing with family from behind a router, which is the way you normally hook multiple machines to the internet anyways (e.g. there is no way to know if it is one person or separate people using multiple clients unless you were to add anti-afk code to aggressively log off anyone who isn't moving their mouse or typing frequently, and then it's going to be downright annoying).

If anyone else does have a magic bullet, please, describe it in detail.
And don't say "WWWEBCAMS."

Last edited by Trafalgar; 2012-06-18 at 10:24 AM.
Old 2012-06-18, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

. Try that your empire has and uses the best spying network and techniques ?

Old 2012-06-18, 10:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Trafalgar
First Sergeant

Sun Tzu points out a number of different types of spies, and advises employing all of them.

(Of course, he also has an entire section devoted to the use of fire in war)
Old 2012-06-18, 10:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

@OP: Trying to fight 4th empire (especially with your methods) is something like trying to pass a law prohibiting the use of hands, because you can strangle people with them.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-06-18 at 10:59 AM.
Old 2012-06-18, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Trafalgar
First Sergeant

That was my point. You can't kill an idea computer game spah with bullets technological countermeasures.

Last edited by Trafalgar; 2012-06-18 at 10:59 AM.
Old 2012-06-18, 10:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Trafalgar View Post
That was my point.
/Ninja'd

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-06-18, 11:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
OutlawDr
Contributor
First Sergeant

Im not worried about spying. They can only hurt you if you are careless with sensitive info. Any info over all chat should just be general orders to wrangle the zerg to certain locations. Most likely obvious movements that the opposition will probably have already anticipated. Any important info will be over private chat, or put on all chat at the last second to not give your enemies enough time to react.

Last edited by OutlawDr; 2012-06-18 at 11:16 AM.
Old 2012-06-18, 12:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Dairian
Sergeant

Hardware ID or Credit card per account. Once you get caught Tk'ing they ban the ID or the credit card. Once you run out of credit cards you can no longer make new accounts. Problem solved.

Only problem with this is many people won't make an account if they have to give out a credit card.
Old 2012-06-18, 12:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
super pretendo
First Sergeant

Prevent the same IP from logging into another account for one hour. It won't be perfect, but it will be a huge help
Old 2012-06-18, 12:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Spying is going to be fun, Im going to have twenty accounts in all of your outfits. I will be everywhere seeing everything.
Old 2012-06-18, 12:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Dairian
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
Spying is going to be fun, Im going to have twenty accounts in all of your outfits. I will be everywhere seeing everything.
True enough there will be people that just love to spy. Probably wont even play the game. Just will give out info to there preferred side.

Everyone has there niche. Hopefully this wont be a huge problem.
Old 2012-06-18, 12:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Bazilx
First Sergeant

Spying in EvE was cool.
Old 2012-06-18, 12:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
super pretendo
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bazilx View Post
Spying in EvE was cool.
Yeah, but it took more than a cross-eyed mouthbreather switching accounts on a whim. It took months of planning and pretending, and alliances had levels of intelligence to prevent it.
Old 2012-06-18, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

I don't see any reason to care about this sort of stuff. You're fighting over bases you're going to lose by the next day if not immediately after. Who cares if people spy, or sabotage, or switch empires? It's a game of zero consequence. Have fun shooting people with guns and forget about trying to get serious about it.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion