Free Look - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Just add water for instant fun!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.27 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-07-30, 10:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Bravix
Sergeant Major

Free Look

Simple concept, so I won't spend a lot of time describing it.

This idea originates from my time playing Arma 2. It's really simple, and the name says it all. It's free look, the ability to turn your head/camera without effecting the position of your body or the current spot in which your weapon is aimed.

Here's a quick video that shows you basically all you need to know. Keep in mind, I'm pretty sure this example is from the original Arma so its a bit aged.

http://youtu.be/9bDlvQmOSts

It's a simple thing, but it adds SO much to the immersion factor. Since they're removing 3rd person view, I personally believe that not only would free-look be nice to have in the game, I feel it is necessary to maintain awareness of one's surroundings.

Add this in with T Man's helmet hud and you'll feel like you're actually there, weapon in hand, getting interfarmed by the TR

----------------Added info below ------------------------

In Arma, the key you by defualt use to look around is alt. If, for example, you're looking over your left shoulder but hear a gunshot in front of you, releasing alt allows your camera to automatically 'snap' back to where your crosshairs are.

Last edited by Bravix; 2011-07-30 at 10:48 PM.
Old 2011-07-31, 07:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
FIREk
Captain

Re: Free Look

It's a fun gimmick, but implementing something like this, for the 5 people that will ever bother to use it, seems a bit pointless. There's no real practical function for a freelook camera, other than making more interesting screenshots. Situational awareness is achieved by moving your mouse and maintaining direction by moving in a different, appropriate direction. This is how it has worked in FPS since Wolfenstein 3D.

Also, I hate Operation Flashpoint. I had to playtest the whole damn thing, including expansions, at work. :P

Last edited by FIREk; 2011-07-31 at 07:32 AM.
Old 2011-07-31, 07:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Yes please!

Not only would this be immersive on the soldier level, it would be extremely useful for vehicles.

Currently there is no way to really look around from an aircraft (or hover vehicle) without turning. Which results in everyone driving/flying around in 3rd person and only switching back when shooting

I would gladly trade 3rd person view for headtracking support like this:

edit
Well maybe not trade, that would get me killed by angry tank drivers

Last edited by FastAndFree; 2011-07-31 at 06:44 PM.
Old 2011-07-31, 12:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Bravix
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by FIREk View Post
It's a fun gimmick, but implementing something like this, for the 5 people that will ever bother to use it, seems a bit pointless. There's no real practical function for a freelook camera, other than making more interesting screenshots. Situational awareness is achieved by moving your mouse and maintaining direction by moving in a different, appropriate direction. This is how it has worked in FPS since Wolfenstein 3D.

Also, I hate Operation Flashpoint. I had to playtest the whole damn thing, including expansions, at work. :P

Ah, so because an outdated video game used an old style of gameplay, we shouldn't upgrade? Ain't following your logic there, but to each their own.

There is a real practical function, as I described. Being able to keep your crosshairs aimed at a door in front of you while having your head turned towards the corridor on your left would be quite practical in my opinion This way you aren't constantly bouncing your crosshair from the left to right to left to right to left, etc.

And you realize OF was basically a shitty console port right, even the PC version. But whether or not you cared for the game, we're looking at a mechanic from it not the whole game

Edit: Oh, and for your side-running to obtain situational awareness, if the PS devs are smart they will have nerfed the side-run ability. You shouldn't side-run as fast as you run straight.

On that note, if they add a sprint forward option, you can't side-run and sprint which makes free look even more useful.

Last edited by Bravix; 2011-07-31 at 12:45 PM.
Old 2011-07-31, 12:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

I agree. If I'm trekking somewhere with my squad, say we're heading north, I want to be able to free-look to the East and West to check out my surroundings WHILE STILL sprinting north with my squad. Its not a hard feature to implement. Just make it so you hold a key and rotate your head.
Old 2011-07-31, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Bravix
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by MasterChief096 View Post
I agree. If I'm trekking somewhere with my squad, say we're heading north, I want to be able to free-look to the East and West to check out my surroundings WHILE STILL sprinting north with my squad. Its not a hard feature to implement. Just make it so you hold a key and rotate your head.
Glad you agree, and it really isn't a hard system. It's just turning your camera with fixed positions where it can't rotate past.

The hardest part would be to add it so that when you look left, other characters see your head looking left, though this wouldn't be necessary it would be neat. This latter part is one of those things that could be added later down the line.

Edit: Oh and, if you like the idea, be sure to vote it up of course
Old 2011-07-31, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Sirisian
Colonel

I support this. Would be nice for people with a head tracking system.
Old 2011-07-31, 01:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
FIREk
Captain

Originally Posted by Bravix View Post
Ah, so because an outdated video game used an old style of gameplay, we shouldn't upgrade? Ain't following your logic there, but to each their own.
I'm sorry I don't like your suggestion enough to see it as anything other than a gadget, let alone an upgrade. Please don't be upset.
Old 2011-07-31, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Bravix
Sergeant Major

I think you're flattering yourself believing that I'm upset because you don't support my idea lol. I just find the idea that we shouldn't make an effort to increase versatility because an old game didn't have it seems a bit silly.

Though you seem set in your belief, feel free to download the free version of Arma 2 to try out free-look for yourself
Old 2011-08-02, 09:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
CutterJohn
Colonel

Don't see much point in it for infantry, since you can just whip around real quick anyway.

For vehicles it would of course be nice. They had it to a degree in PS1, though I don't know if it supported trackIR

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault