Common theme amongst Planetside 2 dev's - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: =O Turn on the fan you sicko.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-17, 10:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
xSquirtle
Staff Sergeant

Thumbs up Common theme amongst Planetside 2 dev's

Looking at the dev profiles, posted on planetside2.com. Nearly all stated about their journey of how they obtained their position. "I started from the bottom and worked my way up." More or less they where also down on their luck.

So for all you would-be game developer's. Try to nitch your way into customer service and begin your journey there.

-PSA

Originally Posted by UrielVS
Looking from the outside in. The game does not represent Planetside. With original concepts that players across the board accepted with open arms; have been taken out. Developers are creating the next COD on a massive scale. Generic players who never saw or even felt the uniqueness of the game, will only continue to nod their heads with blinding satisfaction, not realizing what basic functionality the game will lose in the process.
Old 2012-04-17, 11:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Crazyduckling
First Sergeant

Re: Common theme amongst Planetside 2 dev's

I've already taken note...just gonna wait a year, then start looking for jobs. (Gotta finish my degree)
Old 2012-04-18, 12:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
BNuts
Contributor
Staff Sergeant

Misc Info

No degree here useful.. Does SOE need someone with Aviation Management degree, and with an Airframe & Powerplant certificate? Prob not.... Damn

Overthrown / BNuts - PS1

Old 2012-04-18, 06:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Eighm
Sergeant

Originally Posted by BNuts View Post
No degree here useful.. Does SOE need someone with Aviation Management degree, and with an Airframe & Powerplant certificate? Prob not.... Damn
You never know, they might need someone to work on those FLIGHT FISIKS!!!
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-19, 03:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
CyclesMcHurtz
PlanetSide 2
Coder

There is something about being down on your luck that encourages you to pick you up by your bootstraps and get things done. It's motivation.

I got into this industry in 1990 (as a coder, actually) and have been around since then because I challenge myself and continue to learn and improve. Any good employer always looks for people who continue to grow and strive to improve themselves.

The key thing in ANY job is to know how to learn on the job.

Be honest, direct, and don't stay in your comfort zone.
Old 2012-04-19, 06:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
FINALCUT
First Sergeant

You guys need a proffessional driver? I drive an eighteen wheeler at the moment but I am 40 years old and have been driving one thing or another since 13. I drive Trucks, have driven buses,Vanguards,limos,taxis,Tanks in the military,back hoes,roll off containers,cement mixers,dump trucks,oversize loads,bull dozers,tractors,quads,dirt bikes,dune biggies,enforcers

m113 apc,m2/m3 bradleys,hummers,Lightning,Flash,hmmts,2.5,5 ton,m941 fistv,go carts,golf carts,dirt bikes,boats,both sail and power,you name it, I can drive it. 4 speed automatic,to 21 speed 550 horsepower cat diesels with 80 feet of trailer behind me,Never had a ticket or an accident in my life. So,do I get the job ?
Old 2012-04-19, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by xSquirtle View Post
Looking at the dev profiles, posted on planetside2.com. Nearly all stated about their journey of how they obtained their position. "I started from the bottom and worked my way up." More or less they where also down on their luck.

So for all you would-be game developer's. Try to nitch your way into customer service and begin your journey there.

-PSA
This shows that SOE is a creat company, but the QA to whatever career isnt exactly usual in the industry.

First of all, you need to get your QA job at a Dev, not a Publisher, otherwise its much more likley that you are stuck at QA, or at least have no way to get into the actual development, as those guys are somewhere else completly.
Then, mind the numbers. You see that a whole bunch of our devs got their jobs by starting in QA, but what you dont know is the number of people who DONT get a designer job, and end up being QA forever, or just fail completly.

But yes, QA is an entry level job, and should be your first step if you cant get into the field you desire right away, means if you dont have a degree.

Did loads of research on the matter, ended up realizing that Germany seems to suck to get your butt into the industry. Gonna figure out how to afford to get myself a Game art Degree. Got a plan, just need to make sure i dont end up broke. :/
Old 2012-04-20, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Whalenator
Second Lieutenant

Common theme: All of them were sheltered making shitty SOE games and currently have played only mainstream games. Two out of all of the developers actually touched the original Planetside.

Extra Common Theme: BF3.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge