PS1 Free Time - Are Planetside Reserves Vets ? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: YOUR HOUSE IS BURNING
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-29, 02:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Niemand
Private

Re: PS1 Free Time - Are Planetside Reserves Vets ?

Originally Posted by Turdicus View Post
On one hand there is PS1, which wasn't equipped to handle the hackers, and on the oher is PS2, which is being made after SOE has learned all of the painful lessons that hackers had to teach. Your concern is not without substance though, hacking could still be a big problem in PS2, the difference is that SOE is now prepared (or so they say) to deal with them where they werent able to before.
I would be considered a vet, and I will get access but I just don't like how Higby worded it. Should just say that since /some/ reserves never made the commitment to PS1 as the Vets did beyond the year they don't get access. But they should feel welcome to grab beta keys elsewhere (Such as the magazine or the twitter/stream givaways). Because FtP players are going be value members of the community. Not just a broad FtP reservists were hackers thus we don't like them BUT we are going try to get you to play PS2 anyways.
Old 2012-06-29, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Andur
Private

Just checked, Planetside 1 is still 19€ (24$). It should have received some kind of discount in preparation for PS2. I'm sure the game is awesome and all, but you'll have to admit 24$ is too much for a 2003 game.
Old 2012-06-29, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
That one noob
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
We absolutely do not consider every reserve account to be hackers. However, hacking was extremely common when the reserve accounts were activated because they had no "skin in the game", as they say. Accounts that are paid, i.e. bought a box, paid a sub, are way less likely to be hacking (although some do, don't get me wrong) than ones that never paid a cent and could create new accounts for free once banned. I'm sorry that you can't join in on the events, although if you really want to, you could always purchase PlanetSide (I believe it's 15 or 20 dollars) and you'll get 30 days free time with that to play again for the 7/1 event. http://www.soe.com/getthegame/
Eh it's all right, if we were good Reservists and didn't hack to begin with, and we didn't bother trying to play PlanetSide after the reserves were done, we still got that 45 day trial that was offered before. Not sure if it was suppose to be like that after the whole hacking fiasco though.
Old 2012-06-29, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Raymac
Brigadier General

hacking was extremely common when the reserve accounts were activated because they had no "skin in the game", as they say. Accounts that are paid, i.e. bought a box, paid a sub, are way less likely to be hacking (although some do, don't get me wrong) than ones that never paid a cent and could create new accounts for free once banned.
I know they are aware of the obvious, but this is an interesting statement in the context of PS2.

Old 2012-06-30, 12:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Andur
Private

I hope they implement some sort of Hardware-ID system to help fight that particular problem.
Old 2012-06-30, 03:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
I SandRock
Sergeant Major

Somehow i doubt its hard to make a program that changes your hardware serial numbers

IP ban is never going to happen. Account-wide ban is nice when people don't just play one SOE game and stand to loose their other games too.

I'm not so optimistic as others about their ability to stop hackers in PS2. I've heard it all before, all the promises that they are ready to take on hackers and in the end the games were flooded with them. F2P = F2H and I consider that the n.1 threat to PS2.

As for reserves saying how they would've liked free 30 days, if you were really into PS you would have subscribed back then
Old 2012-06-30, 03:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Vreki
Corporal

Originally Posted by I SandRock View Post
Somehow i doubt its hard to make a program that changes your hardware serial numbers
They already have the SOE authenticator, how about making a server that only allows authenticated accounts? And then refuse to sell a new authenticator if the previous one was associated with a banned acount.
Old 2012-06-30, 04:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
KaB
Corporal

As for reserves saying how they would've liked free 30 days, if you were really into PS you would have subscribed back then
As I said in my first post, I wasnt really into PS. I got no clan. I just had some fun to play from time to time.

Generally, I never subscrived for mmo (except for wow for a short time but it's because I dont think I had any friends who didnt play this game). But when you subscribed you usually need to play the game a lot while you can to get the benefit. And I dont like this idea, it not fits with my way of playing.
Im more the kind of player who needs several games at the same time, not only one.

And if I buy a game once, I should be able to play it forever.
Old 2012-06-30, 05:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Figment
Lieutenant General

NC Command will let you know in a press bulletin that the percentage of vetrinarians among the fodder are highly exagerated.
Old 2012-06-30, 06:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

We absolutely do not consider every reserve account to be hackers. However, hacking was extremely common when the reserve accounts were activated because they had no "skin in the game", as they say. Accounts that are paid, i.e. bought a box, paid a sub, are way less likely to be hacking (although some do, don't get me wrong) than ones that never paid a cent and could create new accounts for free once banned.
And here I see potential problems for PS2, I hope your anti-hacking strategy is better than APB's strategy, cause it was FULL of hackers, and I say that as someone who is really not too paranoid about stuff like that. I wish you good luck with that, for it is going to be a looong and tedious fight and I hope you guys are winning
Old 2012-06-30, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
I SandRock
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by KaB View Post
As I said in my first post, I wasnt really into PS. I got no clan. I just had some fun to play from time to time.

Generally, I never subscrived for mmo (except for wow for a short time but it's because I dont think I had any friends who didnt play this game). But when you subscribed you usually need to play the game a lot while you can to get the benefit. And I dont like this idea, it not fits with my way of playing.
Im more the kind of player who needs several games at the same time, not only one.

And if I buy a game once, I should be able to play it forever.
And that's fine just no reason to expect a free 30 days now

Originally Posted by Vreki View Post
They already have the SOE authenticator, how about making a server that only allows authenticated accounts? And then refuse to sell a new authenticator if the previous one was associated with a banned acount.
The problem with that is that'll force your friends to authenticate as well, even if they dont want too, or they cant play with you on your server. You can also, usually, download the authenticator on a mobile for free. And you can do this from your pc and put it on your mobile (i think) without it needing to know your mobile number (Ithink). But its a nice idea.

Perhaps it's better to give rewards for doing such things rather than penalize those who don't. For instance give free station cash bonus if you get an authenticator, or if you associate a creditcard or mobile phone with your account. Then when those people do end up getting caught, KA-BAN!

Last edited by I SandRock; 2012-06-30 at 10:50 AM.
Old 2012-06-30, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
KaB
Corporal

And that's fine just no reason to expect a free 30 days now
Only a few days would have been enough. At least to be in game during the event and to be able to talk with the devs and the players about an upcoming game called Planetside 2. Because I think I'll be into this one !
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion