New Outfits Are Pointless - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Stop cheating, ur not allowed to shoot me
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > Community > Outfit Recruitment

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-02, 12:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info
Re: New Outfits Are Pointless

Originally Posted by Dart View Post
Love that gif. Now do the lobby term!
this particular one was made by Duomaxwl of SAS, who is amazing. I might get footage together of most types of terms blowing up before ps1 ends to make gifs with. Dunno.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2012-07-02, 12:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
robocpf1
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by William View Post
The reality is 99 percent of the time new outfits fail
Originally Posted by Sardus View Post
New outfits isn't a bad thing. Even though 90% fail
Who came up with these numbers?
Old 2012-07-02, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

Help me out people.

I have been gaming with a group of about 20 for about 10 years now alomost exclusively playing battlefield titles,mods, ect. (we also have a vast gaming backround including MMO's) some of us were in the top 1,000 in the world regularly in Bf titles and we mostly consist of 30+ somethings, heck one guy B46 was number 4 in the world in battlefield 2142 it it's prime was 58 at the time. We have never joined a "clan" or made one ourseleves (we take great joy in running clans off their own servers though haha) but looking at PS2 we feel for the sake of adaptaion and effectiveness we will need to identify ourselves by making our own small outfit or maybe joining a outfit.

The questions I have is with 2,000 people in a map will there always be a significant ammount of organization and un-organization? For example if there are 700 on a team will 450 be organized and 250 be loners or semi-organized following others leads? Will it really matter if you are in a large outfit or a small one or none?

I would imagine not everyone playing PS2 will become or adopt the mindset of PS Vets and their ideologies about how to play PS2, I do asure you my crew will be into taking and defending assets as well as being fairly organized, but I don't know how hard core we will end up? We do enjoy out of the box tactics even if they end in a glorious loud failure from time to time, we just hope those moments are captured on film!

Any vets care to chime in on how you think you will approach/treat the loners or small outfits in PS2?
Old 2012-07-02, 01:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
bigcracker
Sergeant Major

Man all these big ego PS1 outfits gonna cry when the likes of 20ID,Goons and Toxin (had to throw myself in there )etc come to play this game. I can see the cry threads now. What you guys do isnt special people have been doing it for years in many other games. New outfits will rise to the top and be far better and superior then some of the so called elites outfits and some of the old will be good to, but this community is gonna sky rocket with skilled players as well as noobs, And to limit outfits to force them to be ruled over by the likes of some in this community? Well that wont kill this game fast now will it?

99.9% of my post is true.

Last edited by bigcracker; 2012-07-02 at 01:19 PM.
Old 2012-07-02, 01:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by robocpf1 View Post
Occupy PlanetSide

Old 2012-07-02, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Akrasjel Lanate
Private

Misc Info

Don't see no reson why would they restrict people from creating new outfits.
Old 2012-07-02, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
ringring
Contributor
General

Think how big this game is going to be and how many servers will be necessary. Now think no more outfits are allowed. It doesn't compute.

If you want to create an outfit go right ahead, you're entitled, have fun. Trying to prevent new outfits is --not a good idea--

Last edited by ringring; 2012-07-02 at 01:32 PM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-07-02, 02:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

We were all new outfits once. Nothing wrong with more.
Old 2012-07-02, 03:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
William
Corporal

Originally Posted by robocpf1 View Post
This whole world is justified is justified by random statistics!

If you're planning on making a new outfit don't let what I said keep you from that though. If you have an idea that is creative enough to be intriguing to others then eventually you will succeed.

In 2004 Mark Zuckerberg launched Facebook. From 2005-2008 MySpace was the most visited social network. In about June 2008 Facebook started to pass out MySpace. It doesn't really matter who creates what first, it matters who has the better idea.
Old 2012-07-02, 07:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by VaderShake View Post
Help me out people.

I have been gaming with a group of about 20 for about 10 years now alomost exclusively playing battlefield titles,mods, ect. (we also have a vast gaming backround including MMO's) some of us were in the top 1,000 in the world regularly in Bf titles and we mostly consist of 30+ somethings, heck one guy B46 was number 4 in the world in battlefield 2142 it it's prime was 58 at the time. We have never joined a "clan" or made one ourseleves (we take great joy in running clans off their own servers though haha) but looking at PS2 we feel for the sake of adaptaion and effectiveness we will need to identify ourselves by making our own small outfit or maybe joining a outfit.

The questions I have is with 2,000 people in a map will there always be a significant ammount of organization and un-organization? For example if there are 700 on a team will 450 be organized and 250 be loners or semi-organized following others leads? Will it really matter if you are in a large outfit or a small one or none?

I would imagine not everyone playing PS2 will become or adopt the mindset of PS Vets and their ideologies about how to play PS2, I do asure you my crew will be into taking and defending assets as well as being fairly organized, but I don't know how hard core we will end up? We do enjoy out of the box tactics even if they end in a glorious loud failure from time to time, we just hope those moments are captured on film!

Any vets care to chime in on how you think you will approach/treat the loners or small outfits in PS2?
loners and small outfits have their place. I wouldn't rely on them if I can help it, but they're still on your side.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2012-07-02, 08:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Ambient
Private

I think new outfits are good if only to empower a younger generation to begin to lead/form communities. As we all get older, we get stuffy and unable to adapt to change. Our communities become insular and our mindsets age with our minds.

New outfits are great for kills and for sustaining the PC gaming community. If we always said "ONLY PEOPLE WHO HAVE PLAYED MMOs BEFORE CAN MAKE OUTFITS NOW" in every game, then PC gaming would have died years ago.

The value of new outfits is clear.

Full disclosure: Leader of an 8 year old community, haha
Old 2012-07-02, 08:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by VaderShake View Post
Help me out people.

I think forming up your outfit would be a good idea, outfits are said to gain passive bonuses to gameplay etc, so you will want to be in one. 20 people online should be enough to get some things done, but expect to run into outfits where there are hundreds online, sending wave after wave of men at you. 20 people probably wont cut it, however bad they maybe.

But either way, If you're not too concerned with been one of those map movers then you can roll with whatever and find something to do, i play late night and our crew for that had always been only like 5 people, we always found something to do from re secure, tower hold, farm bitches in aircav or zerg it up.

My recommendation would be to formup the outfit with a site, enjinn if you're lazy(they;re adding PS2 support soon) then wait for beta see how you play the game what you like doing etc, then see if you want to expand, if you're good players you should be able to make a name for yourself with your core group of players and recruit off that.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-07-02, 08:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
I think forming up your outfit would be a good idea, outfits are said to gain passive bonuses to gameplay etc, so you will want to be in one. 20 people online should be enough to get some things done, but expect to run into outfits where there are hundreds online, sending wave after wave of men at you. 20 people probably wont cut it, however bad they maybe.

But either way, If you're not too concerned with been one of those map movers then you can roll with whatever and find something to do, i play late night and our crew for that had always been only like 5 people, we always found something to do from re secure, tower hold, farm bitches in aircav or zerg it up.

My recommendation would be to formup the outfit with a site, enjinn if you're lazy(they;re adding PS2 support soon) then wait for beta see how you play the game what you like doing etc, then see if you want to expand, if you're good players you should be able to make a name for yourself with your core group of players and recruit off that.
Yea, got my beta key and I am saving a vacation day to dig in when it goes live, the hard part is conning my wife I am working from home that day or that my tummy hurts and I need to stay home...

Last edited by VaderShake; 2012-07-02 at 08:22 PM.
Old 2012-07-03, 04:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Soyokaze
Corporal

For the few established groups that have posted, please read:
"(The only possible exception to this would be for established clans with pre-existing player bases that will be new to the PS series.)"

I fully welcome groups coming in from outside games. Hell, I look forward to the issue of individual skill becoming more important in PS2. Due to PS1's low ability ceiling, you never really saw any major outfits recruiting based on individual player skill. That'll be an interesting trend to watch.

That being said, I feel that a team of 10 guys really good twitch-play deathmatches are not going to walk into the game & run shit. Effectiveness in this game is going to require management of human resources, which means doing alot of social interaction without ever touching a mouse.

Also, I would NEVER suggest a mechanic preventing people from creating new outfits. That would be ridiculous. Enforcing a minimum player count, sure, but never an outright lock. As previously mentioned, Outfit/Clan politics alone make that ridiculous.

No, what I'm asking the community is not should people be allowed to make new Outfits, but weather or not their doing so is a good idea.

---

SKYeXile, 20 people is, I'm betting about as many as some of the smaller vet-fits still have active. I'd say that, if you're looking to expand, that's the point at which I'd say you have enough players to consider growing your own organization.
That being said, if you AREN'T looking to bring more folk under your wing, or your looking to be as effective as possible, I'd be looking around for an existing outfit that has a community & MO your group jells with. It's a simple matter that 320 coordinated guys are more effective than 20 & 300 guys. If you can't find a fit though, do your own thing until you run into people you naturally mesh with in-game.

Soyokaze - dedicated Galaxy pilot, dedicated Xen of Onslaught member, & dedicated Vanu
Old 2012-07-03, 05:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
XLynxX
Corporal

Originally Posted by Soyokaze View Post
For the few established groups that have posted, please read:
"(The only possible exception to this would be for established clans with pre-existing player bases that will be new to the PS series.)"

I fully welcome groups coming in from outside games. Hell, I look forward to the issue of individual skill becoming more important in PS2. Due to PS1's low ability ceiling, you never really saw any major outfits recruiting based on individual player skill. That'll be an interesting trend to watch.
Not entirely true. Also many great clans have been started by people feeling the urge to create a new clan as they think they'd do a good job leading one. Saying "no" to creating an outfit just on the fact that there might be an existing outfit like it around will create problems. One problem is it will stop diversity in the game, GoTR do very different things to BRTD who do different things to AT etc etc. They might be the same size, attract the same players, use similar equiptment but there tactics and methods are completely different. You'd restrict the variety that this kind of game needs. Furthermore, your idea is very anti-capitalist :P, it defeats competition. It derives that since there is already one (or maybe a few) outfit like the one you wish to create, you shouldn't create another. There are already several chocolate making companies, but if you can find a niche in the market, then you can start a very successful chocolate company. Same works for outfits. Your idea would stop competition in the outfit market, which could be argued to make the quality of outfits go down.

That being said, I feel that a team of 10 guys really good twitch-play deathmatches are not going to walk into the game & run shit. Effectiveness in this game is going to require management of human resources, which means doing alot of social interaction without ever touching a mouse.

Also, I would NEVER suggest a mechanic preventing people from creating new outfits. That would be ridiculous. Enforcing a minimum player count, sure, but never an outright lock. As previously mentioned, Outfit/Clan politics alone make that ridiculous.

No, what I'm asking the community is not should people be allowed to make new Outfits, but weather or not their doing so is a good idea.

---

SKYeXile, 20 people is, I'm betting about as many as some of the smaller vet-fits still have active. I'd say that, if you're looking to expand, that's the point at which I'd say you have enough players to consider growing your own organization.
That being said, if you AREN'T looking to bring more folk under your wing, or your looking to be as effective as possible, I'd be looking around for an existing outfit that has a community & MO your group jells with. It's a simple matter that 320 coordinated guys are more effective than 20 & 300 guys. If you can't find a fit though, do your own thing until you run into people you naturally mesh with in-game.
Again that is a fallacy. The idea that 320 guys = more effective and that is 300 + 20 guys =/= effective. With that huge number of 320 the amount a leader must do is insane, he will have to deligate commanding roles and things could easy become confused. With 300 + 20 guys you have a chance to work together without getting in the way. For example, my outfit with 15 guys goes to resecure a base. Say we work with an outfit like BRTD who have 1-2 platoons of players (30-60 people). If BRTD attack the base with armour and drop 1-2 gals on the roof, we could drop BD and get the tubes up. We each know what we are doing and let each outfit do their own way of getting the job done, but we work together. If we were on the same mumble, not only would it be a mass of noise, but we'd have to spend time delegating who goes BD, who goes roof, who attacks the CY. People will get confused, mistakes will happen and it could easily be a fail. Being seperated allows us to work together, do seperate things, while managing ourselves in the playstyles we are most comfortable in.
Sorry for long reply .

PlanetSide Universe > Community > Outfit Recruitment