Game Engine: Target Designator - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Flame's not welcome
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-07-02, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Pillar of Armor
Sergeant

Target Designator

I saw some other threads on laser targeters and whatnot, but I have a new concept:

Problem:

I was watching the E3 footage and it dawned on me that the viewing distance and true ballistics in the game opens up opportunities for new vehicle and aircraft tactics. Long range fighting can now be viable for assaults by using tanks and liberators (at high altitude) as artillery. There is only one problem with this: Seeing targets at long range with fog and dust and other weather effects will be very difficult if not impossible. Plus, it looks like the draw distance on softies and vehicles is much less than the draw distance on terrain.

Solution:

Target Designator/Painter

Accessibility: Light Assault/Infiltrator

Weapon Type: Sidearm

Operation: The target designator provides a hud indicator for platoon members looking for targets at long range. It is only deployable on immobile surfaces, ie. ground, base structures, bridges and it is visible through terrain and weather.

Basic painter indicator

It has two firing modes. The first firing mode deploys the indicator at a single targeted location and has a cooldown timer for redeploy. The second mode requires a certification. The certification eliminates the cooldown timer in the first mode and enables the user to fire and drag the the indicator around in the second firing mode. Only one indicator can be deployed at a time.

Experience: Extra experience is granted to the user if squad mates destroy enemies and vehicles within close proximity of the indicator.

Certification Enhancements:

Visibility range: The basic indicator is only visible within 500-600m range. Certifications in range add 250-300m in visibility.

Cooldown: Starts at about 3-5 minutes and is reduced until the final certification that unlocks the second firing mode.

Balistics: Adds gauges to the indicator that make it easier to fire accurately. The first cert unlocks a range indicator and the second cert unlocks an altitude (height of your aim from the base of the target indicator and your current height above or below the indicator) gauge that shows up next to the player's retical when they aim in the direction of the indicator. This allows experienced and intelligent players to accurately gauge their shots. For example: experienced players might know that if they are at the same altitude as the target at 500m away they will need to aim at the 250m mark.

Summary:

The Target Designator is a sidearm that provides firing logistics aid to artillery and other long range attacks. It requires teamwork and skill to make effective use of this item and doesn't dumb down the game by simply giving you a shoot here indicator or fire and forget mechanics. Outfits will most likely have members that are dedicated to laying out targets and calculating or providing details on firing altitudes. This strongly encourages team play and adds richer and more complex tactics to PlanetSide combat.
Old 2012-07-02, 02:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
elementHTTP
Sergeant

Re: Target Designator

Good idea !
Something like this

For target priority (hit that first), target marking for auto missile locking (lowering cooldown)...etc
Old 2012-07-02, 02:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I was getting ready to stomp all over this idea, but then I read it.

*Like*
Old 2012-07-02, 03:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Rabaan
Corporal

so basically it's like a SOFLAM (Special Operations Forces Laser Marker), I like the idea, and it'd promote a lot of team work between ground forces and air crews in high altitude bombing, and there for reducing FF and making it potentially more difficult for enemy aircraft to get to the bomber
Old 2012-07-03, 07:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Pillar of Armor
Sergeant

Thanks folks! If you like the concept please rate it. I would love to see this thing in the game (maybe a pipe dream, but whatevs)!
Old 2012-07-03, 10:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
The Degenatron
Master Sergeant

I like it.

I think the laser from the designator to the target should be visible - just like in PS1.

I also think that the interface for the gunner should be easier. I'm just fine with a "shoot here" dot coming up on their hud.

I think it would also be cool if that dot showed up for all squadmates who are in gunner positions.

"Bring the rain."
Old 2012-07-03, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Exmortius
Master Sergeant

a soflam would be pretty cool. not sure if you'd keep it infiltrator (recon) or maybe some form of engineer item. but it would provide teamwork and something for armor to fear if we can get some form of soflam lock on ability. this kinda tactic really makes well oiled squads very powerful in bf3 and i think was one of the better things they put in that game. a laser painter would be pretty cool overall for maybe cert point unlocks like lock on missles for squad mates with laser pointers they can equip. would be a deadly combo in wide open areas imo.

overall i think it would be a welcome addition but i could go on without as well since it is something more in bf3. the laser pointers should be highly visible to other people though.

Last edited by Exmortius; 2012-07-03 at 10:41 AM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault