Lockable and destroyable doors! - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Now selling Vanu brand special Kool-Aid!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-10-23, 09:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Lockable and destroyable doors!

Hi all, I have an improvement for PS2.

I would like to see lockable doors.
Destroyable doors to counter the above.

I really think this would improve on game mechanics, to throw you into a deeper feeling of attacking a base and defending.

The old door system in PS was poor. They would open if you passed, letting unwanted NME's into your Tower/Base.

More ideas on this subject.

Doors can only be locked by hackers/eng's?
Doors can only be opened by hackers/heavy fire-power.
Only certain doors could be locked.
Regenerate over time, be repaired by eng's, or once a base is hacked.

More on this thread soon as ive only just read forum rules sorry Hamma!

Last edited by SuperMorto; 2011-10-23 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Not reading forum rules before posting.
Old 2011-10-23, 09:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Lockable and destroyable doors!

This would give heavy maxes a good reason to be in the squad too,

"Quote Cain"
"You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!"
Old 2011-10-23, 09:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

I know this is a big factor due to its game slowing effects, but to me the speed of the game wasn't the part I loved, it was the holding a base, tower and fighting for it. And lockable and destroyable doors (+ repairable) would give you a feeling or terror when being attacked or a feeling of achievement when you blow the doors off! This would also open the flood gates to more advanced explosives etc.
Old 2011-10-23, 09:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Crator
Major General

Yes plz! Perhaps diversity in doors too? Like maybe the engineer cert tree could branch, or have different types of doors in different branches. Some doors would be energy based and require a hacker with the appropriate cert to take it down. Another type of door would be made of hard steel (made from the resources gathered by taking territory). To counter that type of door someone with a ballistics cert must take it down. Of course some types of doors would only work in specific locations while other locations might allow all types of doors.
Old 2011-10-23, 10:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Yes plz! Perhaps diversity in doors too? Like maybe the engineer cert tree could branch, or have different types of doors in different branches. Some doors would be energy based and require a hacker with the appropriate cert to take it down. Another type of door would be made of hard steel (made from the resources gathered by taking territory). To counter that type of door someone with a ballistics cert must take it down. Of course some types of doors would only work in specific locations while other locations might allow all types of doors.
Now we are talking!

Heavy doors = heavy Max!!! The doors could get heavier the deeper into a base you get, and there could be a safe zone, deep inside it. Bit like what ships are doing against pirates atm. Of course a none indestructible safe zone So you can hack and then blow the doors off!

You could even have doors with glass in them, grenade anybody? haha! (waves and says hello from inside the room" HELLO!)
Old 2011-10-23, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sirisian
Colonel

Nanite doors would be nice. Doors that heal as fast as players shoot them. So if you try to destroy them yourself it won't work. However, if 10 people concentrate fire like AV/explosive at the door at the same time it blows up. Then an engineer must reset the door so it begins healing again.
Old 2011-10-23, 03:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

I really want destroyable doors; give the players the option to either stealthily hack them open, or explosively breach them.
Old 2011-10-23, 03:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

I think this would make a massive change to the way the game felt. And to be fair, it cant be to hard to code into the game.

Also an ENG upgrade or cert could be to add big ass gates to a base, anybody seen Mad Max 2? Come on keep the ideas rolling.
Old 2011-10-23, 03:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

My ideas for this are rolling even if they are a bit far fetched, but remember the door sealing in Aliens? Advanced hackers could do this, that means only an advanced hacker, or Heavy Max or large squad could get it open, thus creating a bigger diversity of squad members needed.
Old 2011-10-24, 04:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Bit like the doors on auto bot city, I must grow up hehe! Edit* nah screw that growing up things thats for old people!

Last edited by SuperMorto; 2011-10-24 at 04:51 PM.
Old 2012-04-16, 09:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

I got an idea for door improvments. First was to make them mannually (press G) open for friends I can recall a few times when I got stuck in a base by the door bug.

Destructible Doors. Basicly just like the gen. It takes atleast 8 or 10 boomers to blast one open. Breach and clear.

Blast doors. These are like over doors one on the external and one on the interrior. If a door gets blasted open these will automaticly come down after a short 5-30 sec delay. Also the defenders could "Lock Down the doors basicly trippling the door strength. ([Ext Blast Door][Door][Int Blast Door])

Problem with blast doors is that they must either be blasted or hacked to open. Also a hack will only open 1 door at a time. So basicly you would have to hack the door 2 or 3 times to open the enterance.
Old 2012-04-16, 10:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Purple
Sergeant Major

the issue with doors that can be destroyed is that it takes away from the team work of taking a base. if you had 20 maxes then you needed someone with a rex to open the doors for them. and the issue with lockable doors is that your people wont be able to get out.
Old 2012-04-16, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Juneau
Private

Originally Posted by Purple View Post
the issue with doors that can be destroyed is that it takes away from the team work of taking a base. if you had 20 maxes then you needed someone with a rex to open the doors for them. and the issue with lockable doors is that your people wont be able to get out.
Erm, id say in that case that it increases teamwork, means that you need to co-ordinate in order to get into the base instead of just zerging in, plus with 20 maxes im quite sure you could just "blow the bloody doors off" (i know someones already said it but i wanted to aswell ) infact the main downside i can forsee is the number of times that would be said during base assaults, could lead to a fun name for it though:
"oi, nemesis, croker/arthur that door mate!"
Old 2012-04-16, 04:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Juneau View Post
Erm, id say in that case that it increases teamwork, means that you need to co-ordinate in order to get into the base instead of just zerging in, plus with 20 maxes im quite sure you could just "blow the bloody doors off" (i know someones already said it but i wanted to aswell ) infact the main downside i can forsee is the number of times that would be said during base assaults, could lead to a fun name for it though:
"oi, nemesis, croker/arthur that door mate!"
Old 2012-04-16, 05:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Mark Olsen
Private

They are probably doing everything to cut down on server side synchronization. But having a few strategically placed doors on static world bases shouldn’t be a huge networking demand.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault