Selling leet account!!! - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where the cake-pie war wages on
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-09-05, 07:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Ipimpnoobs
Sergeant

Red face Selling leet account!!!

There was an article brought up about this regarding Planetside 1 back in 2003. I read through this and SOE stand on this back then was NO.. blah blah EULA this and that. I say hogwash!

I think in 2012 account selling should be allowed and done with station cash, in game!

My reasoning's:

1. People will do this anyway, why not take advantage of the potential profit internally. (think the war on drugs etc....)

2. Most mmo's no matter what genre have an in-game economy. We know ur plans are to create player housing island or something like this in the future, but char selling could fill the void until that time.

3. Gold farmers. We all know they exist in every game. If people can make money by playing this game, it will cause more people to play. The only way to level up a class is to play it so....

4. I worked extremly hard and put in 1 googolplex amount of hours on my leet char bro! <-- if this is you, you really don't have to worry because a) your probably with a tight crew of pros and b) your prolly a pro. Those acct buying noobs will just be more xp for you to lvl your crew. Nothing wrong with pimping a noob or 2... They taste good too..nom nom nom

5. What the heck is Ipimpnoobs talking about? Guys (and margret lol j/k)check this article out from my eveonline days:

Buying or selling an account

Can I buying or sell EVE Online accounts?
Account transfers are expressly forbidden, as per article 3 of the EULA. Accounts found to have changed hands may be transferred to their original owners, or banned permanently, at the discretion of the GMs. This includes accounts bought and sold on online trading services such as eBay.
Please note that sharing your account details is also a violation of the aforementioned EULA.
(sound familiar, but wait...there's more!)

It is however possible to move individual characters between accounts via the character transfer option in the account management pages.

If you are thinking about buying or auctioning a character for ISK, check our forums for more information.

(See they embraced and made money off it! If they can, so can you. How old is eve online and they are still hanging in there huh??? ISK is their in-game currency for those of you who don't know)

Bottom line, we need to think of ways to get you paid for all of your hard work especially T-rey. Those nice threads he wears has to cost a pretty penny. Anyhow, this would just be another income stream flowing to the profit ocean.

In the great words of dictators and politicians everywhere, EMBRACE CHANGE!!!!

Discuss!!!

Last edited by Ipimpnoobs; 2012-09-05 at 08:06 AM.
Old 2012-09-05, 08:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hosp
First Sergeant

Re: Selling leet account!!!

If things stay the way they currently are...

1) Login
2) Make Character(s)
3) Sit AFK X Months
4) Profit

It works in EVE because there is actual time, effort and possibly even real money being put into a character for resale. Here, it won't work as what's needed to improve a character is made passively with no effort, real money and only time.

In the end, if it's possible at all, it's far to early to tell. But if character development doesn't change much, character sale will be irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.
Old 2012-09-05, 08:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Rat
First Sergeant

I say why not?...there will be a market for it. It may not be as big as buying EVE toons.
Old 2012-09-05, 08:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Ipimpnoobs
Sergeant

If things stay the way they currently are...

1) Login
2) Make Character(s)
3) Sit AFK X Months
4) Profit

It works in EVE because there is actual time, effort and possibly even real money being put into a character for resale. Here, it won't work as what's needed to improve a character is made passively with no effort, real money and only time.

Nice try hosp. But, actually if you did not play your PS2 acct. and allowed the time xp to tick it, would stop every 24 hours first off, requiring the player to login again to start the passive xp tick.

In eve, you cert'd the same why you do here except, you didn't get the benefit of the cert immediately once you are able to acquire it with Battle points. You would then need to wait a duration of time as your eveonline char needed to train real time. This real time training could be anywhere from 5mins to 45 days per cert training completion.

PS2 is very relaxed regarding this. Also, the only thing isk is good for is purchasing items in game but it would never increase how fast your char trains.

So theoretically you can say both games will allow training without real money, but there is a catch. How long does it take to level a character with passive training ticking and no in-game battle xp? I'm sure it's years depending on what specialization you decide to grind out. So ..it would work and be profitable.

In the end, if it's possible at all, it's far to early to tell. But if character development doesn't change much, character sale will be irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

What do you mean by irrelevant? Did I miss something that was going to happen in the grand scheme?

It will take 3 to 7 years of grinding battle xp to have a character fully trained in ps2. If you think for a second, players wont have multiple accounts, I have some beach front property in Arizona I'll sell you for $5. With that said, there are a lot of people that will not grind like myself for years, but would happily pay $1k for high certified PS2 char. You can make a living with games like this, there are plenty of people in eveonline who do. With the EULA rules in affect. The only thing that matters is if SOE wants to capitalize on it as well.

Let me know if you need a pay pal account.
Old 2012-09-05, 09:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Figment
Lieutenant General

This would encourage all the wrong things, worst case scenario, players couldn't play because others created idling bots to farm Auraxium at warpgates, etc. So no. It's completely unethical IMO. With the offline training, you can easily get 200 Cert Points in a weak of not using a character (no auraxium), then sell that character with all certifications unlocked. It's bad enough you can unlock those, but this would go against the ONLY 'balancing' thing in game: time sink (which is poor enough of a system since it's based on short term thinking).

So no. That's like directly purchasing cert points and going from scratch to everything unlocked at the start of playing the game. It's bad enough they're being given away for free IMO. Laziness should not be rewarded, but this would also stop new players from learning from mistakes and making choices that determine the character of their characters, because they like those.

It goes completely against the current system, as well as against the system I would like to see instead of the current sytem.
Old 2012-09-05, 09:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Rat View Post
I say why not?...there will be a market for it. It may not be as big as buying EVE toons.
Because each one of those AFK farmers are consuming a slot of the map, resulting in less actual players.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2012-09-05, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Crator
Major General

^^^ Not to mention probably causing FPS issues for people with lower spec PCs. But hopefully that won't be an issue for them come release.
Old 2012-09-05, 09:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Mox
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Thats p2w. I hate the idea!
Old 2012-09-05, 09:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

First of all, AFK farming will not exist. Secondly, as long as it is against the EULA, foget it. Third, I think buying/selling accounts is fail.

www.planetside-devildogs.com

Last edited by EVILPIG; 2012-09-05 at 10:19 AM.
Old 2012-09-05, 10:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Hamma
PSU Admin

Yea AFK farming won't be sticking around. The devs have said they just aren't focused on stopping it yet.. but they will.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-09-05, 10:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Hosp
First Sergeant

Even if I hint at agreeing, you seem to like disagreeing with my agreement. I think Pimp has a crush on me acting all wife-like.
But I'll clarify what I said as even a short paragraph seems hard to follow:

- Things stay as is...it won't work.
- Things change, depending on the changes, it might work.

But I'll go even simpler and:

Originally Posted by Mox View Post
Thats p2w. I hate the idea!
+1 this then.
Old 2012-09-05, 10:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
BlueSkies
Staff Sergeant

Not needed...

Also, it would effectively remove any point in having stat tracking
Old 2012-09-05, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Rat
First Sergeant

I dont see it as pay to win, anyone will be able to buy all of the sidegrades with station cash anyway..the only thing a person would really be bypassing is earning the cert points...and account sales are going to happen anyway, why shouldnt SOE cash in on it?
As long as the afk issue is taken care of I think it would be fine.
It isnt like a new player with a experienced toon is going to be all that effective with it anyway...heck SOE could even require that the purchaser bought a name change.
Old 2012-09-05, 10:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by Ipimpnoobs View Post
There was an article brought up about this regarding Planetside 1 back in 2003. I read through this and SOE stand on this back then was NO.. blah blah EULA this and that. I say hogwash!

I think in 2012 account selling should be allowed and done with station cash, in game!

My reasoning's:

1. People will do this anyway, why not take advantage of the potential profit internally. (think the war on drugs etc....)
You're arguments are allot like saying. People steal and murder each other every day so way should I not do that my self?

Just because people always have committed crimes does not make it ok...
Old 2012-09-05, 10:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Ipimpnoobs
Sergeant

lol..Hosp, i love u man no hard feelings. Today is new day.

I figured many of you would be like nooooooooo! lol

Yea actually didn't think about p2w side of it... If I had to argue against that I would say certs doesn't make the player, skill does. It's not like its gold ammo in world of tanks or anything. Anyhow.. No worries though.

Fig: yes it would definitely hurt the traditional community. If you play eveonline or have in the past, you know it is a very ruthless pvp game. With that said, unethical or not SOE has to make money to pay for the PS2 awesomeness. The more revenue streams they have, the more content we get. I'm wondering as a thought project if the good outweighs the bad on this one?

I thought the AFK farmers did not get a lot of xp and they had to keep logging in. Is this wrong information? I guess the answer would be how long would it take to afk farm to lets say a completely certified pilot for all crafts? If its, 3 years, then does it matter?

Well that is a very good point about the wasting a slot. But you could argue, there will be players that are so bad they are wasting a slot also....lol

EvilPig: I agree with all of your points, but the last one although true, will happen regardless. It's in every mmo currently.

I think we can all agree we dislike it, because we put in the time etc, etc.... However, I think we should ask the question can we stop it? If the answer is no, then I think we have to embrace a new way of doing things so it is better for the players while being profitable for SOE.

I'm sure, all of the big'wigs at SOE were like hell no, you are not putting out a free game that is AAA. I'm sure there are some butts on the line as well. If they don't make money gent's we won't be playing PS2. It really boils down to that bottom line.

If someone lvls out a char with 3 years of playing time, I mean isn't it his right to do what they want with it. I don't know.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Ipimpnoobs; 2012-09-05 at 10:58 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion