I'm the dev of a new MMOFPS looking to start a conversation with PlanetSide vets :) - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: COMING SOON: HAMMA 2.0
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2014-11-12, 11:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
cpudreams
Private

Re: I'm the dev of a new MMOFPS looking to start a conversation with PlanetSide vets

That's neat. Force absorb was the only reason I'd ever pick the light side in Jedi Knight multiplayer. The look on an opponent's face when they realize that their lightning is doing nothing but refilling my force meter was great. Too bad the other light side powers weren't as good.
It looks like we like a lot of the same games I played a lot of Jedi Knight online and loved it (played the sequels but always preferred the original). Hehehe that brings back good memories, I had completely forgotten about force absorb, maybe it was in my subconscious when I added that ability . I'm going to go check out some JK faqs and videos to refresh my memory on all the old force powers, maybe it will help inspire some additions Although there is one thing from my JK days that did make it into the game now that I think about it, I used a peculiar keyboard layout that has inspired the controls for Hunternet (full control remapping is also implemented).

So is there some kind of requirement for being able to join a team? From what I understand it would be possible to invalidate a winning streak by simply surrendering to a team (changing their composition) and then returning to your previous team.
Surrendering to a team is not enough, they have to accept your surrender, they could just blast you in the face Use the team ability on an opponent they will see your white flag, but they have to use the team ability within a time limit to accept your surrender You can use the team abilities to deceive other teams so that's another use of the team ability. So yes composition will end a win streak, but you can't force that to happen unless you are a member of the winning team.

You can use the team ability to abandon your own team or kick others out of your team, so be careful who you let join (your energy bank score will remain the same after someone leaves your team as your team energy bank score is the team average and a leaving player just takes their fair share).

Well first I'll have to get good at the game, but yes. I see myself alternating between lone wolf/elite squad and organizing a larger team.
Same here, I think I could enjoy all three of those approaches, depending on the mood I'm in or which of my friends are online .
Old 2014-11-14, 07:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
BeatCrazed
Private

Re: I'm the dev of a new MMOFPS looking to start a conversation with PlanetSide vets

Surrendering to a team is not enough, they have to accept your surrender
That's good, my fear is assuaged.

(your energy bank score will remain the same after someone leaves your team as your team energy bank score is the team average and a leaving player just takes their fair share).
I'm a little confused about what this means. I understand that team energy for scoring purposes is team total energy divided by the number of players, but how does team energy work for spending purposes? I imagine that on the scoreboard while in a team, you would see the team's average energy, but when checking the energy supply you would just see the total? Otherwise, if you saw the average energy in your energy supply, essentially showing how much energy there is for each player, whenever you spent it it would have to recalculate the average, and working out how much something will cost from your "individual" pool would be tedious.

As an example from the 'energy pool shows the team average' situation, say you're in a ten man team. Average energy pool is 500 and therefore the team has 5000 in the stockpile. If you died and respawned costing 100 energy then I imagine most players would expect 100 energy to be deducted from the number they're being shown, but since that's an average they're actually deducting 100 from the 5000 stockpile, bringing it down to 4900 (assuming nobody else has spent some) and making the number shown to them 490.

Naturally I think that the energy stockpile shown on your hud should show the total and not the average.

It looks like we like a lot of the same games
Clearly we are both men of great taste :P Let's go for another then. Did you play Total Annihilation back in the day? That was the shit as far as RTS went.
Old 2014-11-14, 10:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
cpudreams
Private

Naturally I think that the energy stockpile shown on your hud should show the total and not the average.
Your understanding of the energy system is correct . You could display the energy bank either as the team average (which is the same as the team score and how it should be displayed in the ranking list) or as a the team total. I see your point, so I'll experiment with displaying both along side your own onboard energy . I could also give you HUD display options so you can control how much detail and space is taken up by energy stats.

Clearly we are both men of great taste :P Let's go for another then. Did you play Total Annihilation back in the day? That was the shit as far as RTS went.
Hehehe so it seems I did play Total Annihilation, got into it late though I've played both the original and later Spring RTS. The streamlined resource system and the way energy worked does remind me of Hunternet now that you bring it up .

My younger brother was and is really into StarCraft. I've played more TA than SC, but the RTS that I have played the most is the Warlords Battlecry series. WBC3 had 16 races, 28 hero classes (up to level 100), and 13 spell schools (or about 130 spells), etc. It is to Warcraft III what TA is to SC. Much larger in scope and came out before Blizzard's more famous counterpart It has its problems though, not the most stable game or the most balanced . Eventually the community was given access to the code and I was able to contribute some stability patches.
Old 2014-11-14, 11:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
cpudreams
Private

I don't know how I missed it before but I just posted on the official PlanetSide off-topic forum . Hopefully enough of the community is interested that we can have our first 700 real player match soon I've also updated the website with a new main page and community forums!
Old 2014-11-14, 11:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
BeatCrazed
Private

Sweet. It's cool that you found the Planetside forums, and it's awesome that we have our own forum for Hunternet!

Fourth person to sign up for the hunternet forums, aww yeah!
Old 2014-11-15, 11:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
cpudreams
Private

You are actually the second after me (those others were test accounts I deleted) Congrats and welcome to the new forums!

Also here is the new feature list to help entice more of you to join us:
  • Designed to beat the Indie Multiplayer Curse
  • Zero luck, 100% skill based, no leveling, everyone is on equal footing
  • Fifteen unique player abilities with minimum overlap, instead of many variations of the same thing
  • Fast and varied movement mechanics, separate from abilities
  • Challenging shooting, no hit scan, simulated projectiles with momentum, aiming requires leading your target
  • Larger single battles than any other MMOFPS with no view limits
  • Form and dissolve teams on the battlefield
  • Choose your approach, large teams are not guaranteed an advantage
  • Use stealth, team deception, and indirect abilities to outsmart your competition
  • AI mobs integrated into PvP for your strategic use
  • 150 avatars to choose from with plans for a Mii like creator
  • No graphic violence allows players of all ages to play together
  • Friendly fire demands caution, no spray and pray
  • One big party & no waiting, not isolated by matchmaking
  • Not a release and forget game, but a life long hobby
  • Not "free-to-play" and no subscriptions
  • Stable client & low system requirements for hassle free play
  • Many more surprises and features to be revealed
Old 2014-11-27, 03:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
cpudreams
Private

Hunternet's first live stream has been uploaded to YouTube . Watch for Hunternet's first gameplay footage, a quick overview of abilities, and some one vs one combat As always, any comments are welcome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAH71oUeRhI

Last edited by cpudreams; 2014-11-27 at 03:40 PM.
Old 2014-12-07, 08:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
cpudreams
Private

I'm working on my first article. Here are some diagrams from my work in progress, that I thought I should share

Old 2014-12-15, 10:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
cpudreams
Private

Heads up, play Hunternet for the first time live this Wednesday December 17 at 8PM CST during Hunternet's second twitch stream event:http://www.twitch.tv/cpudreams
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge