Hoverboards for Vanu - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Don't hate me because i'm slow
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-07-03, 09:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Ratstomper
Major

Re: Hoverboards for Vanu

Originally Posted by Monsta View Post
They have the pretty heavy buggies/quads. I don't think the "hoverboards" for Vanu need to be that strong, i am ok with it if I can just use my normal weapon instead of a heavy vehicle weapon.
Originally Posted by Monsta
Why not having hoverboards for all light classes and maybe even heavy assault? Players should be able to carry them on their back, and make use of them while jumping from a specific height and speed (like you are being able to use a parachute), it should behave like surfing clouds and with the temporary speed booster on it you get enough speed to fly a little upwards...To gain extra speed, making use of the terrain is very important (like Tribals).
How is that equal to a buggy or a quad? You want a equippable item that works like a parachute and lets footsoldiers move incredibly fast where no other vehicles can go? And you only want to give it to one faction??
Old 2012-07-03, 11:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Kythas
Private

I am kinda disappointed that the Vanu Sovereignty gets pretty much the same buggy/light vehicles as the other empires.
What if we just color the Lightnings/Quads Purple and give them glowy bits so people know that the Operating Systems in the Vanu vehicles are web 2.0 capable?

On a serious note though, you can't offer something to one faction alone without balancing it out on the other factions.

What would you give the NC and TR?

Last edited by Kythas; 2012-07-04 at 12:02 AM.
Old 2012-07-04, 01:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Carnage
Sergeant

Yes, just Yes...

Old 2012-07-04, 08:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Jonny
Master Sergeant

Lets not copy anything from ut3...
Old 2012-07-04, 08:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Monsta
Corporal

A fast quad with a heavy weapon vs a hard to master hoverboad without any vehicle weapons, why would that be unfear to the onces riding a quad?
Old 2012-07-04, 09:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Ratstomper
Major

Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
Lets not copy anything from ut3...
Or tribes for that matter....

A fast quad with a heavy weapon vs a hard to master hoverboad without any vehicle weapons, why would that be unfear to the onces riding a quad?
We've already said why. It would just be a way for vanu infantry to move around on foot ridiculously fast. It shouldn't even be considered in the same category as a vehicle.
Old 2012-07-05, 02:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Monsta
Corporal

Originally Posted by Ratstomper View Post
We've already said why. It would just be a way for vanu infantry to move around on foot ridiculously fast. It shouldn't even be considered in the same category as a vehicle.
Lol, PS2 is going to be the most customizable FPS ever which makes your outfit combination unique and different from everyone else, and your argument is that a quad and a hover board are not the same? Yes you really made a clever conclusion. Apart that, I never said its going to be ridiculous fast, maybe just a bit little bit faster on the long run vs a quad/buggy which has a max speed because of earths friction and because its a light vehicle that should belong only to a non hi-tech empire.

You maybe have a point about the category position. Still the hoverboard will be just an (unarmed) light vehicle ment to drive alone to get you quickly back in the battlezone with the high risk you get blown up by a locked rocket or it explodes by a few assault shots.

Last edited by Monsta; 2012-07-05 at 02:18 PM.
Old 2012-07-05, 02:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Ratstomper
Major

Lol, PS2 is going to be the most customizable FPS ever which makes your outfit combination unique and different from everyone else, and your argument is that a quad and a hover board are not the same? Yes you really made a clever conclusion. Apart that, I never said its going to be ridiculous fast, maybe just a bit little bit faster on the long run vs a quad/buggy which has a max speed because of earths friction and because its a light vehicle that should belong only to a non hi-tech empire.

You maybe have a point about the category position. Still the hoverboard will be just an (unarmed) light vehicle ment to drive alone to get you quickly back in the battlezone with the high risk you get blown up by a locked rocket or it explodes by a few assault shots.
The issue is, aside from the fact that I think this would really ruin the pacing of the infantry game, that you've got a small hoverboard that can fit anywhere an infantryman can go, allows the person riding it to use their regular weapons, prevents fall damage and lets them move faster (if we're talking tribes-esque movement, that's pretty damn fast) than the other two empires (who have to hoof it) in areas where no vehicles will fit. It's not a vehicle at that point, it's practically just an extension of the infantry.

With squad spawning, I don't think it's going to be a big issue to get back into the fight. All you'd have are Vanu zipping around on hoverboards to zerg locations faster than anyone else could.

Last edited by Ratstomper; 2012-07-05 at 02:31 PM.
Old 2012-07-05, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
MrKWalmsley
First Sergeant

I support this. The hoverboard has no room for an effective weapon, and also there's not any real protection against frontal fire. Fill your boots!
Old 2012-07-05, 04:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Monsta
Corporal

To be honest I never played PS1, so I believe you on your opinion.

If you say its really too advanced lets get ride of the jetpacks for light assault on Vanu in that case, and only light assault can request to spawn it for a few points or have it as an outfit slot. And to keep it fair, the hoverboard is not an unlimited speed vehicle, even when you do the correct strave jumps. I'm quite sure shooting from a fast light vehicle with an normal assault weapon isn't that easy. Lets just say it goes 20% faster then a quad/buggy.

So far I have seen from the PS2 demo video's there is quite a lot variation between the empire ships, and i think a little hoverboard won't change the game that much.

We have seen the quads go inside the buildings, so should the hoverboard be able to do so, and if your body explodes in lots of pieces while doing some silly acrobat moves, you look just as silly as bringing a quad inside. Most of the time when you are using the hoverboard you are close to ground to get some speed or you are exposed in mid air because you used a little time based speed booster. (remember, still no jetpacks for light assault for Vanu). Another option to make it less advanced is if it would carry a reload time for grabbing the hoverboard itself, so it cannot be used like the jetpacks.

And yes, if you are TR or NC you will start to hate them, because an hoverboard can be used for a one-second-feeling-lucky moment to get out of the action quickly (with a lot of acceleration upgrades) against experienced shooters. Just like a jetpack. Being fast, deathly but also vulnerable fits perfectly for Vanu from my opinion. Especially when Vanu in the PS2 trailers is promoted with the idea that Vanu is different, more hi-tech, doesn't care about getting the most territory, only a few important onces.

Last edited by Monsta; 2012-07-05 at 05:05 PM.
Old 2012-07-05, 06:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
markik
Private

This is a bad idea; easily obtainable foot soldier transportation, sans limitations? Troopers need to have to rely on the established vehicles, or they'll be able to get into the fray too quickly; instant Vanu zerg. The tears of every player would cry tears. And those tears would yell, "Soooooo OP, nerf now!"
Hoverboards would detract heavily from the importance of vehicles to the Vanu, too, which would just about ruin the balance of power thing the devs seem to want for *some* reason. And anything you give the other factions that could actually even that sort of -bleep-ed up playing field would be, due to the fact that they'd be meant to counter the OP hoverboard, overpowered themselves. Any other counterbalance given to the sides that's meant to simply negate the hoverboard would make the whole scheme a boring addition; a mostly pointless layer of rock-paper-scissors complexity, added just because "a hoverboard would be cool", not because it would be integral to the gameplay in any way.
It would be a tacked on, boring nod to Back to the Future that would probably end up cut in the first patch.
So yeah, not the best idea.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault