Outfit benefits based on keynote, - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Boom...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-08-04, 09:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Shamrock
Contributor
First Sergeant

Outfit benefits based on keynote,

My only concern coming out of the keynote (other than the terrible power point organisation, which to be fair was kinda funny) is the mention of outfits leveling up benefits based on outfit recruiting.

First some context, the first time I came across a system like this was in Warhammer online, it was a novel concept and I liked the idea. Subsequently Blizzard copied the idea wholesale and implemented it into WoW. What happened there is that a number of Guilds would farm members experience, effectively spamming out invites until they unlocked every available benefit. These then became player warehouses, there was zero community in these guilds and no chat going on between members. Their sole function was to unlock Guild benefits for guys who were leveling up an alt character who once they reached max cap would then leave for an arena PVP guild or a raiding guild.

I know that some large outfits that do a fine job of training new players in PS and they should reap the rewards of this effort, but if the outfit is just a player warehouse that makes no attempt to run squads and teach guys the basics they should not be able to gain any reward from doing so, ie the metric that is used to level up the outfit should not be totally passive like outfit experience.

This leaves however the problem of what metric(s) to use in order to level up an outfit within the system, I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions?

Last edited by Shamrock; 2013-08-04 at 04:48 PM.
Old 2013-08-04, 10:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
ringring
Contributor
General

Re: Outfit benefits based on keynote,

How about calculating it in a similar way to the way command rank was calculated in PS1.

ie

Squad leading x number of people in the squad being a member of the same outfit x faction of those within the capture zone when a base or outpost hack goes through. Or something like that.

A problem would be that this only incentivises captures and not defences which are just as important.
Old 2013-08-04, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Well, another good concept ruined by lazyness, flawed logic and/or greed. It wouldn't surprise me if they make it so that once the feature is in, the amount of currently active members won't mean shit.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2013-08-04, 09:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

I remember the guild xp system in warhammer online. It really worked great. Every member could sacrifice a little bit of xp going into the guild and eventually you got some pretty nice stuff out the other end. I dont know what crazy schemes were cooked up to take advantage of this system in WoW but it worked nicely for my warband in war online.
Old 2013-08-04, 10:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
LoliLoveFart
Contributor
First Sergeant

So long as it isn't, spam invites then reap rewards. I don't see why it is a bad thing. Pooled EXP of the outfit is probably the only real way IMO, that way you have smaller more experienced outfits being able to compete with larger outfits with less experienced members.

Old 2013-08-05, 05:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sarmane
Contributor
Private

"Pool" EXP meaning average experience across the whole outfit Loli?

It does have the potential to turn into a farm mechanic but we will have to see what sort of values table they want to value outfit experience by and give them feedback to steer it away from going towards that route when it is more fleshed out.

How about also individual goals for each member to promote joining outfits and overall goals for the Outfit itself that draw some value from their members but also from things like base capture/defense and the new Mission System participation?

Like say that once the system is introduced/new individual members will have a series of
quantity tasks to carry out that give them some sort of reward for them being associated with one particular outfit at the time they participated in their objective and completed their threshold. This has the incentive for players to join an outfit and work with them to complete their objectives quicker/assuredly than by being a lone player.

For Outfit values, like said before, perhaps taking some of the individual members completed aggregate values alongside specific server recognition of objectives like significant capturing/defending bases or completetion of objectives from the Mission System (with appropriate cooldowns and having to be from outside their own outfit).

Does that make sense?
Old 2013-08-05, 05:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Just make it so you only gain anything by being in an outfit squad/platoon.

Old 2013-08-05, 08:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Shamrock
Contributor
First Sergeant

I think linking it to squads and objective capping is the way to go, if we think of how CR experience was calculated in PS1, it came from running a squad and the xp gained was proportional to the size of the squad and the amount of opponents faced within the objective area to be capped.

For PS2 this could be adjusted so that instead of an individual squad leader getting the CR xp this could be added to an Outfit xp pool every time a squad caped an objective, this would scale nicely with small and large outfits alike, and crucially it wouldn't be passive, large outfits that were effectively player warehouses with a ton of un-squaded randoms running about wouldn't gain from it; large outfits that ran multiple squads would gain greatly from it.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion