Another Artillery Thread - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What happens at PSU, ends up on Google.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 3.57 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-08-03, 08:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Gugabalog
Major

Re: Another Artillery Thread

Even by his definition I used it correctly, as all subjects were interdictable so far as the game were to remain playable.
Old 2012-08-03, 09:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Graf
Private

If it is hard to aim, as in PS1, and relatively ineffective unless used skillfully then it is balanced. Plus, it would be a high level cert and would be hard to get at. we could also make it more balanced by not instantly killing people, or better, disrupting certain aspects of gameplay, i.e. an EMP strike would disrupt electronic sights or lower the effectiveness of vehicals (aircraft stalling, magriders becomming immobile for a short time, the HUD being disrupted or turned off). I never said instant kills, and I think that it would add more depth to gameplay. Resources could also be involved, more powerfull airstrike=more resources, or maybe multiple people have to combine resources to airstrike, or maybe they have to have a certain number of sunderers in a group in order to activate the ability. Plus, it's an airstrike it is going to have a huge cooldown. Even so the idea maybe broken. I personally like the idea of towing around an artiller peice, or being able to airdrop a one-time use one into the feild. They are plenty of different ways to pull off artiller without comprimising gameplay. What do you think?

That was my point, Gugabalog, you were both right in the definition of logistics.
Old 2012-08-03, 09:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Gugabalog
Major

Originally Posted by Graf View Post

That was my point, Gugabalog, you were both right in the definition of logistics.
I meant that using both definitions my original post was still valid, though thanks for making it clear to all parties there's more than one
Old 2012-08-04, 07:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Maybe you guys are talking about something else, but I think you both are right about the definition of logistics.
No, people use the word logistics like they use the word "THE".

The closest thing to logistics I've seen in a game is Warcraft/Starcraft peon/SCV collecting resources and then depositing it into that one building, except the chain of supply gets magically teleported to factories from that building; and the proximity of mines to that building they deposit into is so ridiculously close they might as well not even bother modeling the peon/SCV at all; and units require no material upkeep like for ammunition.
Old 2012-08-04, 07:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
igster
Sergeant

So the supply of NTU into a facility isn't related to logistics. What is the purpose of an ANT? It is an interdictable resource dispenser taking it from a warpgate (unit of production) into a facility.

What is the lattice? Is it not an interdictable means of supply of benefits to a front line base?

Really... a fail argument is a fail argument. Play the meta game of PS1 a bit more before you talk authoritatively about it - you might learn how the game works.
Old 2012-08-04, 08:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Graf
Private

Would you guys stop bloviating! Plus, it dosn't look like you used the word correctly the first time, your definition of the ANT's use dosn't make any sense with the definition of interdict...

in•ter•dictˈɪn tərˌdɪkt; ˌɪn tərˈdɪkt(n.; v.)
any prohibitory act or decree of a court or an administrative officer.

Category: Law

a punishment by which the faithful, remaining in communion with the Roman Catholic Church, are forbidden certain sacraments and prohibited from participation in certain sacred acts.

Category: Religion

(v.t.)to forbid; prohibit.

to cut off authoritatively from certain ecclesiastical functions and privileges.

Category: Religion

to impede the flow of (troops, supplies, etc.) or hinder the use of (a road, airfield, etc.) by steady ground fire or bombing. to impede the shipment of (supplies, contraband, etc.) by military operations or other aggressive measures.

http://www.definitions.net/definition/interdict

I could not find interdictable, but I know it is a word. Is the 5th definition similar to your definition of interdictable? If not, what do you think interdictable means so I can better understand your post. And again, stop bloviating it undermines your credibility. Please take that as a friendly pointer, not trying to be a jerk here.

Last edited by Graf; 2012-08-04 at 09:04 AM.
Old 2012-08-04, 09:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
igster
Sergeant

Excellent use of the word bloviating to tell others not to use big words. When people stop arguing a point and start arguing over dictionary definitions of words, then is this not the original meaning of Bloviation? Just talking nonsense and not arguing any meaningful points.

Of course interdict means to impede the flow of (supplies) or hinder the use of a road. What else did you think it meant? You need a picture?

Back on topic : logistics are modelled pretty well in Planetside 1. I hope Planetside 2 also have some similar type of depth to the gameplay rather than just COD/BF style zerging around shooting stuff.

[read on only if interested in english language, grammar and dictionary definitions of stuff.... I expect most people to scroll past this crap]

The use of the suffix -able is derived from ability and produces an adjective meaning 'capable of, suitable for, or deserving of'.
You might not find it in a dictionary with it's suffix but it doesn't mean it is any less valid a way of constructing words in the English language.

'interdict' + '-able' in this post means

an ANT is a supply vehicle capable of being interupted by military operations.

It is capable of being interdicted according to your fifth definition.

Now can we stop being pedants about the terminology used and actually discuss gameplay.

Nothing wrong with my credibility here my friend. Nothing particularly wrong with the use of english. Thanks for the pointers though.
Old 2012-08-04, 10:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Gugabalog
Major

Also, @Buggsy look through TB's "The Mailbox" series and there is one that explains game logistics. You'll find it very informative.
Old 2012-08-04, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Graf
Private

Thanks Igs, I now understand your post! (I used bloviating because I thought it was funny... I need to touch up on my sense of humor...) I am just teasing you, I wish they had like a sarcasm mark, lol.

What if we used airdropable one time artillery thingy. It could be a cert for the galaxy or something. Being able to drop a squad, a vehical, and an artillery peice for a seige in one go would be cool. Would be like a battlefeild bad company artillery peice, just it could only be used once. Though having it be a one timer is kinda lame so it might be better to give a huge cooldown instead.

Though, I don't see why we wouldn't just have a dedicated towable artriller peice for the sunderer, or a cert for an attached one as I have said earlier.
Old 2012-08-04, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Gugabalog
Major

Thanks Igs, I now understand your post! (I used bloviating because I thought it was funny... I need to touch up on my sense of humor...) I am just teasing you, I wish they had like a sarcasm mark, lol.

What if we used airdropable one time artillery thingy. It could be a cert for the galaxy or something. Being able to drop a squad, a vehical, and an artillery peice for a seige in one go would be cool. Would be like a battlefeild bad company artillery peice, just it could only be used once. Though having it be a one timer is kinda lame so it might be better to give a huge cooldown instead.

Though, I don't see why we wouldn't just have a dedicated towable artriller peice for the sunderer, or a cert for an attached one as I have said earlier.
Dropping artillery would be a cert/sidegrade and would have a trade off. I.E. sacrificing the ability to drop a squad.
Old 2012-08-04, 12:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Graf
Private

Yeah! Plus it is cool!
Old 2012-08-05, 05:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
igster
Sergeant

Reminds me of the Raven in Starcraft II - I like it!
Old 2012-08-05, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Graf
Private

Yeah, except the raven would drop a SUPER machine gun that has insane range and splash damage. I should mod that... Artillery Wars! Seige tanks and and ravens with airdropable stuff. You can't build anything so it forces players to be smart with their stuff, a dream game for me... off topic.

I never liked how the artillery in BF bad comp had a set range that was so small. It would be cool if the air droped artillery peice had to have a range layed out within a max radius, the laze would reveal areas and allow for more acurate shooting, but you could still shoot blindly on a fuzzed out mini targeting map with coridinates. This would make it more balanced, and still alow it to function withought a laze(Someone could call out cordinates over chat channel)but still give at advantage when a target is lazed. Should it be reloadable? If so, should it have a specifc type of ammo you can purchase through resources and have the price multiply every time you by more ammo? That would hamper people just spamming artillery shells. Or would you just have to resupply it from a galaxy or something. Should it be able to be towed, or moved otherwise, or should it be stuck in place? How much damage should it cause? Should it be able to deal different kinds of damage through different ammo(EMP, Anti vehical, Ammor Pericing shrapnel, smoke, standard, etc) or should this be more of a tactical peice, just firing ammo that does no damage but gives bonuses to allies fighting in that area(ammo drops, medkits, grenades, etc.) Or should their be two types of airdropable artllery, one that does damage and one that shoots ammo resuplys?
Old 2012-08-05, 09:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

So many of these threads,

Well I already explained a 2 person vehicle that acts as a self propelled artillery.

Driver will have to deploy it first in order before the gunner could fire the main cannon.
With that restriction it is almost pratical to solo it as you drive to the battery site, deploy, then switch to the gunner seat, but doing that will have you loose mobility and easy prey for groun raiding aircraft or even enemy armored collumns.

Shells should be anti-infantry for the most part allowing vehicles and tanks to get by with only moderate damage. Something for a zerg control.

TR should have a double cannon howletzer which give it the highest rate of fire.

NC should have some sort of multiple rocket launcher system which would give it the widest AOE per shot but not a high rate of fire.

VS would have some energy flail mortor. Has the same rate of fire as the NC and the same AOE as the TR, just longer range than both.
Old 2012-08-05, 11:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Gugabalog
Major

I think the MLRS would work better for the TR due since it can fire very rapidly.

And then give the NC some sort of big rail gun?

Maybe a plasma mortar for the VS.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault