Referendum on bail mechanism failure feature - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Who wants to see my "Lan Cable"
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you like the bail mechanism failure feature?
Yes 19 57.58%
No 14 42.42%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2004-12-02, 10:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
AztecWarrior
Lightbulb Collector

Referendum on bail mechanism failure feature

I hate it- that's strike 2 along with BFRs. If it gets to 3, I will reconsider quitting.

Right when you most need to eject, it fails. This also complicates tower raids, as I've flown over at 66% integrity and been unable to bail out. I don't care for that "BUT YOU DONT GET THE XP FROM AA KILLS" crap- if you're a level-upper from EverQuest who plays PS for the RPG features, you'll be pissed. But I'm fine with the personal good feeling of knocking down an enemy aircraft.

If I really need XP, I go sniping.
The gun katas. Through analysis of thousands of recorded gunfights, the Cleric has determined that the geometric distribution of antagonists in any gun battle is a statistically predictable element. The gun kata treats the gun as a total weapon, each fluid position representing a maximum kill zone, inflicting maximum damage on the maximum number of opponents while keeping the defender clear of the statistically traditional trajectories of return fire. By the rote mastery of this art, your firing efficiency will rise by no less than 120%. The difference of a 63% increase to lethal proficiency makes the master of the gun katas an adversary not to be taken lightly.
Old 2004-12-02, 10:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
EarlyDawn
Major General

Sobekeus explained this one best:

Originally Posted by Sobekeus
The way I would have prefered actually is to simply not allow a pilot to bail until they lose control. Which is more realistic and still accomplishes the same thing.
He also dosen't mention that it would prevent tower drops by lone HA whores, which is a big point for me, too.
Old 2004-12-03, 11:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

As an ardent Burster (well TR MAX) user, it's bloody annoying to engage and put in effort against a reaver (or even a liberator, but they nose dive so I wouldn't have any luck either way) to see the pilot just bail out. It's very frustrating even though I've done my job of destroying aircraft.
Old 2004-12-03, 12:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

Tough shit, you get shot down, you die. These are the rules everyone else plays by, pilots should be no different.

Edit: Personally, I would love a system where-

1.) Dampeners would be restricted to Reinforced and MAXes bailing from galaxies only, the following does not apply to them, they would stay the same as now.

2.) All fall damage is configured to be like falling damage in the caverns (i.e., you fall any respectable distance, it fucking hurts.) Also, no ability to control yourself while your falling, at all.

3.) If you take (significant) falling damage, you get knocked down, literally, and have to stand back up, during which time your helpless. The more damage you take, the longer your stunned, and any forward speed from the aircraft bailed from is also translated into falling damage. This is to prevent low, high speed passes to circumvent the falling damage.

4.) You can bail at any time.

To me, that would effective negate what I hate about air bailing, for it to be used by cheap killwhores to close the distance, while still making it viable for escape and for more tactical applications. (i.e., you can still jump on top of a tower and proceed down, but not if the top is being actively defended.)

Last edited by Incompetent; 2004-12-03 at 01:51 PM.
Old 2004-12-03, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Incompetent
Tough shit, you get shot down, you die. These are the rules everyone else plays by, pilots should be no different.
This is the truth. Pilots have always been the only people who've been able to avoid death from losing their vehicle so easily. You're just having a hard time adjusting to what ground vehicle drivers have been going through since the Stone Age of PS.

Also, don't try to say that people wanting the exp from it makes them somehow wrong. Why should killing an aircraft not reward people? The only logic I've seen behind this is "if you want exp go play EQ, ***." So yeah, I'm not exactly convinced pilots actually have a good reason for why an air kill should not give a reward to the player. All I've heard are personal attacks, or "well I'm happy not getting exp so you should be too."
Old 2004-12-03, 02:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Hamorad
First Sergeant

As an air cav guy, i am personally against it, but i think overall it is a good idea. It may be annoying sometimes when AA DOES get the kill, but suck it up! you got killed, big deal.
Old 2004-12-03, 02:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
ChewyLSB
Major

Misc Info

I think it's a great idea, it's almost brought me BACK to PlanetSide.
Old 2004-12-03, 04:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Warborn
This is the truth. Pilots have always been the only people who've been able to avoid death from losing their vehicle so easily. You're just having a hard time adjusting to what ground vehicle drivers have been going through since the Stone Age of PS.
That has trueth in it, but didn't they recently add the ability to bail from a moving ground vehicle?
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2004-12-03, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
BlackHawk
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by EarlyDawn
Sobekeus explained this one best:
Originally Posted by Sobekus
The way I would have prefered actually is to simply not allow a pilot to bail until they lose control. Which is more realistic and still accomplishes the same thing.
He also dosen't mention that it would prevent tower drops by lone HA whores, which is a big point for me, too.
Do that and give bep for the destruction of the vehicle (based on the length of time the pilot has been in the vehicle), regardless of the presence of a pilot at the time of destruction and you've got a viable solution in which pilots can still bail if they react fast enough, while still rewarding the people that downed him (thus removing a valuable enemy vehicle from combat; definitely worth a reward). Apply this to ground vehicles too, and everything is set.
Old 2004-12-03, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Lonehunter187
That has trueth in it, but didn't they recently add the ability to bail from a moving ground vehicle?
Not for people driving the ground vehicle, only for passengers. The drivers still need to stop to get out.
Old 2004-12-03, 05:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by BlackHawk
Do that and give bep for the destruction of the vehicle (based on the length of time the pilot has been in the vehicle), regardless of the presence of a pilot at the time of destruction and you've got a viable solution in which pilots can still bail if they react fast enough, while still rewarding the people that downed him (thus removing a valuable enemy vehicle from combat; definitely worth a reward). Apply this to ground vehicles too, and everything is set.
But why should the pilot get off the hook?
Old 2004-12-03, 05:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
BlackHawk
Staff Sergeant

If he can bail fast enough, why not?
Old 2004-12-03, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

The logic behind nerfing bailing is that why should a pilot get special treatment over a tank driver? Balance isn't just about weapons.

What would you say if suddenly every vehicle driver could bail instantly and run into a tower from your Reaver?

Old 2004-12-03, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
BlackHawk
Staff Sergeant

Well, I'm a sniper, not air cav, so I pretty much wait until they hop out anyway.

As for people insta-bailing out of tanks and running into towers; as Incompetent said: tough shit. People get away all the time, it's part of the game. Do snipers cry that infantry can reach cover before they finish reloading to make that second shot? No, it's part of the game. We live with it and make what kills we can.
Old 2004-12-03, 07:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by BlackHawk
As for people insta-bailing out of tanks and running into towers; as Incompetent said: tough shit. People get away all the time, it's part of the game. Do snipers cry that infantry can reach cover before they finish reloading to make that second shot? No, it's part of the game. We live with it and make what kills we can.
Someone getting into cover is absolutely nothing like someone bailing from an aircraft. Getting to cover and not getting to cover, especially when avoiding sniper fire, takes a certain amount of skill (or, at least, caution and experience). Bailing from an aircraft simply requires an alt and a G key, with the only risk being when you're getting hit by massive amounts of AA and your craft goes up in seconds.

So far I've still not read anything valid about why pilots should get a "get out of jail free" card with the old style bailing compared to what ground vehicle drivers go through. The only reason for it I'm seeing basically consists of "that's how it was before and I liked it so fairness and logic be damned, change it back".
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion